Sign in to follow this  
little blue penguin

Celestion Ditton 100

Anyone looking for a really good bookshelf speaker should check out this auction;

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=111290046

I've had a pair of these for 24 years, used them with all manner of amps, many music genres, and have loved them to death.

I'll never sell mine, but the ones that this trader's selling look to have been well looked after.

They were sold for $220 which is not a bad price for these wee beauties.

I paid about $500 for mine in Singapore in 1984, but I've no idea what they were going for in NZ at the time.

Does anyone know where I can get a set of speaker terminals for a pair of these speakers?

I've inherited them and one speaker has the plastic slides (and spring bits) missing.

Googling doesn't seem to be giving me much luck....are they are generic part or a Celestion specific item?

I recently replaced some terminals on some old Wharfedales whish had those tatty old screw terminals ex DSE in 1969 that would only take bare wires. I had to make a mouting plate and drill it for the screw terminals to take bananas or spades (or wire) again from DSE. A bit of soldering and there you go.

Replacing the terminal panel might be beyond me....and I'd like the speakers to stay original if possible.

Did all Celestions have the same sliding spring terminals?

Also is there a Celestion service agent in New Zealand?

Personally I would find search out someone who could install some decent 5-way binding posts to these speakers.

I replaced them on mine, but I didn't keep the originals.

Anyone in Dunedin up for this? I don't travel down there regularly, else I would put my hand up.

According to the web the NZ Agent is Avalon Pacific Marketing LTD so you could contact them if you really want the genuine part.

If you decide that it's too much bother and want to sell them I might be interested.

brettyd;83375 wrote:
Also is there a Celestion service agent in New Zealand?

I think you'd be wasting your time with Avalon on a brand which is no longer their flagship.

I'm presuming that these are the red and black spring loaded terminals that open a hole when pushed back to allow the entry of a bare wire only. Is that correct? It's a connection block type that seems to have been displaced by banana plug sockets which will also unscrew to accept spades or bare wire, but the spring loaded ones may still persist on budget speakers.

However, if that's what you need try here:

http://avi.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008810500085/pdtl/Terminal-block/1002814067/Speaker-Terminal-Boards.htm

Thank you for these responses - they are very helpful.

I didn't realise that the originals were poorly regarded and therefore my "keep it original" thinking is probably misguided.

So.....are you able to provide links to or pictures of good alternatives?

What do the 5 way binding posts look like?

Thanks

Brett

Thank you....how are these fitted into the existing plate?

Or is a replacement terminal plate required?

Sorry to be so dense on this but its an area I know next to nothing about.

But the more I think about a good solid connector on these speaker the more I like it. I have a feeling they will be great sounding!

PS one of the tweeters has been pushed in a little ....what's the safest way to fix it?

I had better get out the screwdriver soon and remove the existing terminal plate and see whats involved.

As I say I'm a complete novice at this...

cloth_ears;83473 wrote:

These are designed to take either bare wire, spade connectors or banana plugs.

That makes three connections, what are the other 2 making up the '5 - way binding post'? Hope this isn't too dumb a question...

I used to own a pair of Celestion Ditton 110's. Great little speaker. Brett if you are feeling uncomfortable with tackling this job yourself you could always try Strawberry Sound. Although they are not Celestion dealers I'm sure they have the expertise and for a fee...? Another person who might be able to help as he deals with and services second hand gear is Ken Sinclair down at Good Hi-Fi opposite the Oval.

hi guys,you have probably seen it but there are some"wharfdale ditton 100's" for sale you know where(want some more cloth_ears:D).

cheers.

I've checked out the likely suspect and even googled others....what am I missing here?

Good idea....I've e-mailed Strawberry Sound and I'm awaiting their response

Bevan J;83519 wrote:
I used to own a pair of Celestion Ditton 110's. Great little speaker. Brett if you are feeling uncomfortable with tackling this job yourself you could always try Strawberry Sound. Although they are not Celestion dealers I'm sure they have the expertise and for a fee...? Another person who might be able to help as he deals with and services second hand gear is Ken Sinclair down at Good Hi-Fi opposite the Oval.

scotyd;83548 wrote:
hi guys,you have probably seen it but there are some"wharfdale ditton 100's" for sale you know where(want some more cloth_ears:D).

cheers.

Yes I would like another pair, but if that's the auction I'm thinking of (and I can't find it now) they looked a bit rough.

seems you are right cloth_ears,possibly withdrawn and yep-bit on the rough side.

scotyd.

aarond;83515 wrote:
That makes three connections, what are the other 2 making up the '5 - way binding post'? Hope this isn't too dumb a question...

From the web;

"Binding posts are sometimes referred to as 'five-way binding posts' because speaker wires can be connected to a binding post in five different ways:

• Bare wire wrapped around the metal post and clampled
  • Bare wire inserted through the hole in the post and clamped
  • A spade lug clamped around the post
  • Banana plugs inserted in the hole in the top of the binding post
  • Pin plugs or connectors inserted through the hole in the binding post and clamped"