Sign in to follow this  
JTweedy

A400 rediculousness (?)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/Amplifiers-tuners/auction-107435355.htm

The Castle scene "tell em he's dreamin" comes to mind.

Seriously though, would people pay this for one of those? I have a Marantz model that was made around the same time or slightly after, intended to go head to head with the A400, and I consider it to have a far superior sound. I know I would never pay $1400 for it though!

Ive seen A400s and the A400X go for a few hundred on trademe. At a starting bid of $500 i dont think he will get any takers. Maybe it comes with the box and manual? :)

For $1399 I'd expect it to come autographed and delivered by Tom Evans, the talented UK designer who worked on these landmark models.

Or pay cash at Hardley Normals for Pioneers new one :) lol

They were a good amp in the day, I had one for 5 minutes before getting my Plinius stuff. But yeah, "Tell him he's dreaming..."

The bidder is a newbee.

Now if I was a suspicious type (which I am), I'd think that it was the trader or a friend placing a seeding bid.

I'm sure the last few A400's on TM didn't go higher than $300.

If you knew his reerve, you could bid up to within $1 of it, and then just let it hang.......

Senator wrote:
If you knew his reserve, you could bid up to within $1 of it, and then just let it hang.......

Now that's just mean. I like it.:cool:

cloth_ears wrote:
The bidder is a newbee.

Now if I was a suspicious type (which I am), I'd think that it was the trader or a friend placing a seeding bid.

I'm suspicious too, the 'bidder' is also in Christchurch, has (also) been a member since 2004 and has never won/sold anything...

cloth_ears;45627 wrote:
The bidder is a newbee.

I got over 700 for one of mine a few years ago, i would have been stoked with 400 but no the auction went 45 minutes into overtime, i actually drove it to wellytown personally to deliver it from auckland.

Sheesh,....

That's 650km @ say 9km/L = 72L fuel x 2(return trip) = 144Litres @ say $1.20/L....

= $173 + vehicle wear & tear + time @ $**/hour! :eek:

I'm v impressed, you have what it takes to be the country's best hifi consultant.

;) Owen

Owen Y;49739 wrote:
Sheesh,....

That's 650km @ say 9km/L = 72L fuel x 2(return trip) = 144Litres @ say $1.20/L....

= $173 + vehicle wear & tear + time @ $**/hour! :eek:

I'm v impressed, you have what it takes to be the country's best hifi consultant.

;)
Owen

oh it wasn't for free, i made a day out of it, took a mate sightseeing, and picked up trademe pap from wellytown for other dudes at work as well. i think i broke even on the gas, got to cane my car thru some of the most fun roads in the north island in the wet.

audio consulatant would be a nice job if i didnt actually have to make any money to support a family.....

AzzA;49744 wrote:

audio consulatant would be a nice job if i didnt actually have to make any money to support a family.....

hahahahaha, you don't know how true that is!!