Sign in to follow this  
bathory

HD DVD's - where ?

HI All

I recently got a Pioneer 42 plasma HD TV and a Yamaha HD DVD player

Problem is where do you get HD DVDs from?

Can you hire them ? Where can you buy them? All the dvds i looked at that are new in Groovy , whitcouls etc - dont say anything on them about HD.

Would they be marked HD if they are?

Also be very keen to know if anyone out there knows when Sky will transmit in HD

sorry if this all been covered before and if the questions seem obsolete.

Cheers

Bat

Are you sure its a HD DVD player, or does it merely scale DVDs to HD. AFAIK Toshiba are still the only manufacturer of HD DVD players (unless its a rebadged Toshiba?). Do you happen to have the model number?

Thanks senator

The model is Yamaha dvd s659. it was sold to me as " hd capable" by retailer as he said my exsisting pioneer dvd wouldnt play hd dvds and would not carry outlet for hdmi cable

Hmmm. From what I've gleaned off the web, it looks like this player has an HDMI output, but is not an "HD-DVD" player.

bathory wrote:
Thanks senator

The model is Yamaha dvd s659. it was sold to me as " hd capable" by retailer as he said my exsisting pioneer dvd wouldnt play hd dvds and would not carry outlet for hdmi cable

That aint no HD-DVD player! It's standard def DVD with upconversion to 1080i. If you've been misled into thinking it did HD-DVD, then I'd be looking for a refund. Pronto!! :mad:

thinking about it , it is possible he was saying I would get a better picture by using hdmi cable with Yamaha. Is this possible? If not I was bullshitted.

Who sells the toshiba hd dvd players and what should one pay?

Dick Smith sells them, what you are asked to pay and what you should pay are two different figures.

Cheapest way into HD DVD is to buy the x360 HD DVD add on and plug it into your PC, connect your PC up via DVI or VGA to your panel, voila, HD DVD (you may need an upgraded software media player).

Otherwise, Tosh HD DVD player is about $1300 NZ IIRC, although if you search some US sites that export, you may pick up a HD DVD player for $300 or so US, plus shipping ofcourse.

Sen