Sign in to follow this  
Ayou21553552688

amazing wee LINN speakers

The ad doesn't give their vintage. In 1996 I was in the market for small stand-mount speakers and auditioned the Linn Kan model of the time. It was absolute rubbish even with all-Linn front end and couldn't be considered as a hi-fi speaker. Even the salesman was embarrassed. Maybe the model on sale is a later, improved version. I can't imagine it being worse.

I'd say the audition you attended was seriously flawed or something was broken. Although I vaguely recall reading that the first incantation was only OK compared to what came after.

They are a brilliant wee speaker & good luck finding a bad review ...... this from Audioreview.com

"I auditioned the Linn Kan at one of my local audiophile outlets (there are 4 in my small town - Worthing!!) against other top grade small but affordable speakers namely KEFs and B&Ws (ewhich is made locally). I intended to buy either the highly recommended B&W 602s or KEF Q15s, but the dealer insisted I listened to the Kans. They were initially above my budget at the time, but they were the only ones that got my foot tapping. My disinterested wife (dragged along) not only made the comment that these were the best, but also started to subconciously move with the music when the Kans came on.

Installed into my home on sturdy wall brackets and cones, and driven by my old 2nd-hand Naim Nait II, the Kans sounded even better. Now in my previous bachelor life, I have owned expensive serious kit, including a valve monoblock set up with horn loudspeakers. Good as that arrangement was, never was I this close to the music. A drum sounds like a drum, the singer's phrasing and breathing makes her presence so nerve-tingling..... Okay, the soundstage is not so deep, but it is wide and tall, and who the hell cares anyway when the music feels so real! This is a combination I can recommend after 17 years of dabbling in hi-fi and visiting many dealers and shows. Pair up an old Nait 2 with a pair of Kan 3, and the upgrade bug will have been well and truly vaccinated! Five stars 'cos I'm cured!

Strengths:

Timing and phrasing, detailed, holographic imaging, suits the average UK lounge.

Weaknesses:

Not for bass freaks or very large rooms. Available only in black.

Similar Products Used:

Musical Fidelity MC2, Mordaunt-Short MS40, Wharfedale Diamond and various Celestions & Missions, even a Lowther Acoustas"

Ayou2 wrote:
I'd say the audition you attended was seriously flawed or something was broken. Although I vaguely recall reading that the first incantation was only OK compared to what came after.

Since you weren't at the audition (unless you were the salesman) you haven't got a clue what went on. The Kans presented to me were so bad that indeed a front-end fault was suspected. But when other speakers were substituted everything was fine.

No matter what you or some reviewer says, the Kans I heard were rubbish. And I know rubbish when I hear it - I've had plenty of it in my systems in the early years.

Logan wrote:
Since you weren't at the audition (unless you were the salesman) you haven't got a clue what went on. The Kans presented to me were so bad that indeed a front-end fault was suspected. But when other speakers were substituted everything was fine.

No matter what you or some reviewer says, the Kans I heard were rubbish. And I know rubbish when I hear it - I've had plenty of it in my systems in the early years.

Of all the people I have heard speak of Linn Kan's you are the only one who has ever called them "rubbish" or "couldn't be considered as a hi-fi speaker"

Ayou2 wrote:
Of all the people I have heard speak of Linn Kan's you are the only one who has ever called them "rubbish" or "couldn't be considered as a hi-fi speaker"

There's a lot of people who hate the Linn Kan - there's a good reason why it's nickname was "tin can".

The original Linn Kan speaker had a frequency response with a peak of several dB at around 1kHz. This will alter the sound of every voice and instrument, making everything sound nasal and forward. The proponents of the speaker pointed to the great portrayal of dynamics by the speaker. For many listeners that as not enough.

I'm with Logan on this one.

I'd go as far to say none of the early iterations of Linn's first wave of speakers (Kan, Sara, Isobarik) could be considered high fidelity.

:D