Sign in to follow this  
Ayou21553552688

Alltime Favourite Movie

Cooksferry wrote:
We all have our little secrets:D

perhaps I shouldn't mention that Snow White and Pinochio rate in my top 10 either.Hard to escape your formative years.

I wouldn't be ashamed to list either...though FANTASIA ranks even higher than both for me, if only because, for whatever reasons I can't fully explain, it's gotten more play at this addy since it was issued on LD back in the '80s(and the LD edition is still preferred over the DVD, though gotta admit the DVD image is cleaner).

But it's hard to choose a favorite, probably have one for every day of the year...from CITY LIGHTS and THE GENERAL for silents, to RULES OF THE GAME, WIZARD OF OZ, HENRY V, CITIZEN KANE(or THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS, or TOUCH OF EVIL, for Welles), THE SEARCHERS, REAR WINDOW, PSYCHO, 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, KOYAANISQATSI, LES ENFANTS DU PARADIS, JULES et JIM, LE MEPRIS, WEEKEND, STAGECOACH, THE WILD BUNCH, 8 1/2, LA DOLCE VITA, LA STRADA, ON THE WATERFRONT, SUNSET BOULEVARD, THE BIG SLEEP, CASABLANCA, A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, GIMME SHELTER, SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, MANON OF THE SPRING, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI, BLUE VELVET, ERASERHEAD, THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, VIRIDIANA, HIROSHIMA, MON AMOUR, BLOW-UP, SHANE, LADY AND THE TRAMP, DR. STRANGELOVE, and on and on and freakin' on...

As you can imagine, the cinema is my 3rd love(after music and family/friends)...:D

ED :cool:

Wolfman wrote:
Ooops havent checked this thread for a few days.

Answer -Yes and Absolutely! C'mon you gunners!!!
:D

OUCH.... i'm a Mighty Reds fan myself:p, although Henry is one of the best players i've seen for a long time!

Ayou2 wrote:

KIDS - don't watch movies when your 7 that they say should be for 13+. theres a reason :eek:

Are you talking about that grimy, uncomfortable 1995 film featuring the loathsome Telly "the virgin surgeon"? I can't imagine watching that at age 7. I also imagine it would be fairly incomprehensible to the 7 year old mind. I believe it is restricted to those over the age of 18 as well, not 13.

Myfavourite flick would have to be 2001: A Space Oddysey. Endlessly watchable, fantastic soundtrack and just "far out, man".

In case you did not read the paper today. Problem is I like Titanic. Just got the collectors edition and plan on watching it when the wife is on her next work trip and were the heck is Top Gun :D :

From Stuff.co.nz.

Jaffas and popcorn are standard film food but Kiwis are an eclectic bunch when it comes to what is on the screen.

More than 5000 votes were cast on Flicks.co.nz to reveal the country's 100 favourite films and 30 most hated.

The Shawshank Redemption, a film about a wrongly imprisoned man, took the number one spot, followed by the 1977 Star Wars film and Jim Carey's mind-warping tale, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

As every film fanatic knows, taking more than just yourself to the video store can be an arduous task - Borat and Titanic appeared on both lists.

The only non-American film to make it on the list of most hated films is a homemade entry - Black Sheep at number 15.

Top Ten Favourites:

1. The Shawshank Redemption

2. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

4. Pulp Fiction

5. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

6. Fight Club

7. Donnie Darko

8. Amelie

9. Little Miss Sunshine

10. The Princess Bride

Top Ten Most Hated:

1. Titanic

2. Borat

3. Saw

4. Scary Movie

5. Gigli

6. Pearl Harbor

7. Date Movie

8. Epic Movie

9. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

10. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

i find myself going back to The Running Man, time and time again, i love this movie, so many great one liners from Arnie -good concept too.

another for me is Logans Run - awesome effects for its time, with an intresting polt thrown in

driver wrote:
another for me is Logans Run - awesome effects for its time, with an intresting polt thrown in

That brings back memories!!! I used to love this..:D

it would have to be extremely well done to beat the original though - I wonder who would take on logans roll? - Michael York was very convincing imo

threatening?

Watch "The Island" (Ewan McGregor) - drawn very much I suspect from Logans Run

Senator wrote:
threatening?

I actually haven't seen that yet - I might just give it a go and see what i think:rolleyes:

Senator wrote:
threatening?

No thanks, I'm allergic to Michael bay and Scarlett Johansson

:P

According to imdb.com, The Island is actually a rip-off of something called The Clonus Horror, not Logan's Run.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399201/board/nest/76578318

I haven't heard of anyone (else) allergic to Scarlet Johanson :D

Owen

I've just been browsing through this thread, and since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I thought I'd put my 2c in ...

Blade Runner

My movie fascination started in the late 1980s when I left home and went to Uni. I boarded with some distant friends of the family, and their son (who was a few years older than me) had one of the first stereo VHS machines available. On that he introduced me to a whole library of movies -- Alien/Aliens, Terminator, 2001 ... but for some reason, Blade Runner was the one that "caught" me. I found myself just being totally lost in it! I loved the characters, the sets, the whole concept.

And, having popped in the Criterion LD recently, I can say it's lost none of its power over me ... I'm just hanging out now for the ultra-mega-multi-disc release of this classic on DVD!

Michael bay I can sort of understand, but please, Scarlet Johanson, she could park her slippers under my bed anytime

Michael Bay? C'mon ... I still use the Ferrari sequence on my The Rock LD for testing out my surround system when I set it up! For escapist testosterone-fuelled popcorn time-wasters, there's none better ...

Concur with Blade Runner.

That whole imagery of decay and squallor really turned the idea that the future would be a utopian paradise totally on its head. It influenced me hugely at the time.

Oh........ and while I like Scarlett, I prefer the older, darker, european version...Monica Bellucci

blackspot wrote:
COh........ and while I like Scarlett, I prefer the older, darker, european version...Monica Bellucci

Now, you got me goin'...

Oh yes, Monica is sweet, no argument, but can't hold a candle to Italy's greatest gift to Hollywood... Sophia Loren!

If you caught the "ever-luminous" 67yr old Loren in the recent Italian period drama, "Francesca & Nunziata", you will have seen that she still exudes more charisma in one glance than any of the pretenders can muster... including the most notable, Gina Lollobrigida :)

Enough raving, Owen :D

Monica Bellucci mmmm...

ahem, right, back to the films.

Also concur regarding Blade Runner, it's a fantastic film. Have you read the book it's based on: "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" If not I highly recommend it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Androids_Dream_of_Electric_Sheep%3F

And, if you liked Blade Runner, you may also enjoy the anime classic (and huge influence on the matrix): "Ghost in the Shell".

It's another film which explores the complex issues surrounding personal identity (and it features androids etc).

Philip K Dick's novel is, indeed, a very good read. I recommend it -- partly because, even if you've seen the movie, there's so much more in the novel it could almost be a different story :)

Agreed -- Ghost in the Shell is another great movie (I have that and Akira in my collection). Another I really enjoyed that explored "what is reality" was Dark City (a guilty pleasure of mine! ;) )

Blade Runner is a good movie . . . but it's

Citizen Kane - end of story for me. :)

Choosing one is hard and, to be honest, if you ask me in a month it may change, but for now I'd say- The Seven Samurai.

The Go-Between, Diva, Midnight Cowboy, The Graduate, Southern Comfort ... oh, and the visuals are really great too!