Best Phono Preamplifiers Regardless of Price...

:bump:

I'm about to upgrade from my very modest Lehmann Audio Black Cube to either a Manley Chinook (can't afford the Steelhead) or Herron VTPH-2.  The Manley would be a new special edition made exclusively for Upscale Audio in California, with Kevin Deal's (owner of aforementioned Upscale and CEO, PrimaLuna USA) own choice of tube complement and new would cost me about the same price as a second-hand Herron.

Both have great reviews and unfortunately I can listen to one but not the other...I'm leaning towards the Chinook...not sure why.  Perhaps the self-contained loading setup vs. the Herron's external plug-in (you only get the 47Kohm in the box, you pay for any other loading, except for infinite loading, which they say is best suited for most MC cartridges)

Decisions, decisions!  :unsure:

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to have the Mares Connoisseur Phono Preamplifier by Peter Mares, (referred to earlier by the PROF) in my system for 4 months. It is a truly amazing audio component.  

The RCM Audio TheRIAA which I have spent some time with is is also in the same class.

However, saying that the new RCM Sensor 2 is fantastic, and I am living with it happily and love what it does, Closer to the  TheRIAA than the  RCM Sensor 1. Quite a bargin

Cheers

Mungo

• Like 3

Thanks Tasebass. Yes, its the new TW Acustic Raven RPS100. I had the previous model before that was actually made by Thoress in Germany for TW Acustic to spec. Whilst the RPS100 is designed and built from the ground up by Thomas Woschnick. Its really at another level to the old one which I lived with and enjoyed for a number of years. Here's an old pic of the TW Acustic Raven Phono sitting on Stillpoint Ultra5s.

P1000302_zps732b58b0.jpg

Edited by vmhf
  • Like 2

I was lucky enough to have the Mares Connoisseur Phono Preamplifier by Peter Mares, (referred to earlier by the PROF) in my system for 4 months. It is a truly amazing audio component.  

Cheers

Mungo

Yes Indeed Mungo--I have heard the Mares--a fair while back now with a Lurne TT/Breuer/Helikon setup--it is indeed one of the two finest Phono stage's ever made-it was a experience I have not forgotten

I own the other--the Vendetta Research SCP-2T( for Teflon caps/etc) John Curl only made 5 of these WW.

Good listening with your RCM it must indeed be something special

Willco

VR1.jpg

• Like 4

Always wanted to hear this phono. Where does it have it over the Masseto?

yeah, masseto onboard phono is very nice!

I'm no good at describing my listening impressions! The thing that struck me was an enhanced clarity, as if wiping a slightly misted window pane. I didn't believe it the first time so went back and A/B'ed while listening, from memory, to Ray Charles and Milt Jackson 'Soul Brothers'. The difference was definitely there so I used the AirTight through the Masseto!

Interesting that Thoress has been mentioned twice in this thread. The AirTight currently sits idle, having been superseded by:

post-111913-0-84388800-1424911044_thumb.

• Like 4

I had both the Thoress Phono Enhancer and TW Acustic RPS100 in my system on demos but not at the same time unfortunately. 

From audio memory the Enhancer had more body in the mids i.e. a fuller sound. In most other departments it was very close i.e. detail, resolution, sound stage size etc... For me the absolute silence of the RPS100 was what won it for me.

• Like 1