Best Phono Preamplifiers Regardless of Price...

Yes but all that you mentioned can be changed with the de-emphasis curve controls which is why Rienhard made this it's all open to what you like it to sound like or need I've spent many hours talking about this with him, it's not plug and play.

Edited by Dr Good Vibe

? I though this thread was Best Phono Amps Regardless Of Price not Trawling The Web To Find The World's Most Expensive Phono  Amps.

• Like 2

I am seriously looking at these 3 DIY kits in readiness of my turntable rebuild

All are tube type as its my preference

1) Bottlehead Eros http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?crn=220&rn=428&action=show_detail

2)Trenscendent phono stage http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Transcendent_Sound_Phono_Preamp.html

3) Audio Note http://www.audionotekits.com/M3PhonoStage.html

FR

Has anyone bought or heard any of these. look interesting and I'm thinking of upgrading, if these would be a upgrade my MS Phonomena Nova

So they gave Van Den Hul a phono stage back in 2008.   Do you really think he uses it over his own phono, especially now in 2015.

He wasn't given one, he bought it.  Dunno, but do you really think the tech that goes into a phonostage has made phenomenal leaps and bounds or led to a new branch of science between 2008 and 2015?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 21/11/2010 at 3:54 PM, Steve M said:

vmhf: You probably need to set a price limit for the best phono stage question? You can spend $50K plus on cost no object phonos ...Aesthetix make some nice ones. The phono stage built into my Supratek Grange preamp (@$9K) is supposedly world class.

I recently heard a Tom Evans Groove phono which I thought sounded very good, no tubes involved and had an uncommon clarity and separation to the soundstage. They cost about $4K new, see here: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOM-EVANS-AUDIO-DESIGN-GROOVE-20TH-ANV-PHONO-STAGE-/120614107110?pt=AU_Electronics_Home_Audio_Turntables&hash=item1c152937e6

And yes, I agree with you a good phono makes a world of difference. Sounds heretic, but I reckon an expensive phono stage is more important than an expensive tonearm.

Hi Steve,

Hope you are well.

I was hoping to obtain some advice on the Supratek Preamp; not sure whether you still have this unit or not?

Essentially, would like to know whether you still consider his "phono stage" world class (as good as anything else out there). Thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, kab said:

One of my best was the Phantom Audio MM phono by Mike Kontor.

Then I'm afraid you haven't listened to enough alternatives, kab! :(

Mike is an old friend of mine but even he agreed that my Phantom Audio sounded much better when I replaced the PS he had used with an emitter-follower PS designed by Hugh "Mr AKSA" Dean.  (Of course, if Mike had used this PS, he would've had to more-than-double the price of the Phantom Audio - so it wasn't a fair comparison!)

My (modified) Phantom Audio was judged better than, say, an EAR834P ... a JLTi v3 ... and a Nighthawk ... but my own 'Muse' has finally bettered it (which was my aim, in starting on its development path :) ).  And there are certainly better-sounding phono stages than my Muse (but at a much higher price).

Andy

• Like 1

The tom Evans groove 20th anniversary is an outstanding box capable of main high end audio trickery and results. Would be nicer if finished off in a bid full sized solid metal box but that goes against the tom Evans ethos so acrylic box it is. Mind blowing capabilities for its mid range price. Thanks to those who read. Check them out one day you will not be disappointed cheersAdam

1 hour ago, drdarkfish said:

My opinion is that no one piece of gear will ever be the 'best'.

I have an Audiaflight stage and love it. But even the Audiaflight can be 'bested' by much cheaper stages like a Dynavector P75 on some vinyl.

I agree with this.

I have an Audia Flight too, but sometimes I prefer my humble old Dynavector P100 on some vinyl.  With yet other vinyl, the tube phono is better.  I have come to learn that there is no "best".

With all the great gear I have here, the last month has brought me the greatest joy playing vinyl using a $100 old Pioneer PL 51A, it's an ugly thing completely stock.  A CA Virtuoso V2 MM cart into my Dynavector, a borrowed Primare SS amp into a borrowed pair of Sonus Faber Electa Amators.  It was an awesome fun sound, a great synergy of the gear.

My friend who owned the amp and the speakers could not believe that his gear sounded so good in my room.

Audiofool SQ?  Maybe not.  But FUN and we wanted to listen to more and more and more music.  Alas, the Electas sold in a flash last Sat.

• Like 2

One of my favourite rigs was

VPI HW19 mk4 turntable

Syrinx PU3 arm

Grado Sonata cartridge

Phantom Audio MM phono

Not overly expensive but gave me lots of happy listening.

btw i don't listen to vinyl these days CD only.

Cheers.

7 hours ago, kab said:

For the money and back in the day the phantom was very nice

cheers.

I agree with you.  I merely disagreed with your statement that it was one of the best.

7 hours ago, CraigC said:

Andy,

Was Mikes phono the Bill Beard clone?

That's the one - the Beard BB P100, I think (from the days before Bill developed tube gear!  :) ).

Andy

• Like 1

Doesn't darthlaker have an Audio Research Ref 2SE? That's the one I would have. I love the ability to change the loading and settings on the fly with a remote and get instant feedback on how the change affects the sound.

Plus it supports dual inputs - cue multi arm turntable thread [emoji51]