Sony VPL HS 10

HI,

I have a rumpus room (approx 7 m x 6m wide) which I am looking to set up as a Home Theatre. I have looked at a number of projectors and so far am leaning towards a new model Sony VPL HS 10 Cineza. What is your opinion of this projector for a room size as described above, as well as the 'value for money' aspect.

I understand that the first release models in the US suffered from technical problems with lamps etc. Is this still the case?

I also have an option of putting the projector in the laundry (which adjoins the rumpus) and building a glass projection port through the wall to mimimise fan noise etc. I would also appreciate any input on this.

Cheers

Deano

Dean,

If the laundry is at the back of the room, you would just want to check what sized screen you would have from a 6m distance with the projector. It could turn out to be too big (yes, you can have a too big picture, they tend to lose brightness and impact if too large).

You will possibly find that the noise from the fan could be a non-issue. My Phillips is audible in a quiet room, but once the movie is running, it is hardly ever noticed (I think the HS10 may be quieter than my Garbo, not sure of the db ratings).

Other than that, last time I checked on AVSForum, the HS10 was still thought of as a good projector. In terms of value for money, what is the RRP now? around $7k?

Other potential options is perhaps the Panasonic PTAE300 which has had very good reviews (some have indicated that for DVD, there is very little difference between the two). Infocus are bringing out a DLP projector shortly which I am anxious to have a gander at.

If you havent been there, go to www.avsforum.com and have a look at the "digital projectors under $5k" threads. Heaps of information there on "budget" digital projectors, including pros and cons of each one.

Happy hunting

TonyD

Thanks for that feedback. I'll check out that site. In so far as the room is concerned, if the projector went into the laundry it would be over 8m throw distance to the screen. You are right, the picture size would be too big for the room and the overall light intensity on the screen.

D.

PS. Can you mount the projector, say 7m out from the screen and Zoom out? Does that produce a more intense picture and reduce any potential screen door effect?

Most modern digital projectors have a zoom function.

My Garbo is mounted about 5 - 5.5m from the screen, and I have the zoom at nearly full to get my 2.5m screen.

It would depend entirely on what the zoom ratio/throw ratio of the particular projector is as to whether or not it would work in your situation.

On AVSForum, there is even calculations somewhere as to what size screen you should have depending on the lumen output of your projector, buggered if I can remember where it is discussed, probably in the "screens" threads somewhere. That could help you decide which projector to go for also.

As far as reducing screen door, that is normally about how close to the screen you are seated. It is generally recommended that you sit 1.5 - 2 times the screen width (IE if the screen is 2 metres wide, you should sit 3 - 4 metres away). This and perhaps a slight defocusing of the image will minimise screen door (you can defocus the picture slightly, still retain an excellent picture and reduce screen door).

Good luck

TonyD