Panasonic Projectors

I would certainly hold off buying the AE-100 Slippery.

From what I understand from Panasonic, we are due to get the AE-200 soon(ish), and as far as I know, the 300 isnt even released o/seas yet.

Improvements in the 200 have something to do with defocusing the LCD panels to minimise the screen door effect as well as taking care of some of the reliability issues with the AE-100.

Have you looked at any other options? I recently purchased a Phillips Garbo LCD projector. 6000 hour lamp life, 850 lumens, 400:1 contrast, dedicated 16:9 LCD panel. It will accept (and benefits from) progressive scan/line doubling and overall is a good performer. Its native resolution is SVGA, so its not going to compete against the "big players" (IE Sony 10,11,12HT), but at $6k, including a prog scan DVD player, who can complain?

Sen

I got it from Eastern Hi-Fi in Newmarket.

The screen door is there, mostly noticeable in sudden changes in colour (like red/yellows in explosions) and large expanses of one colour (blue sky etc).

You can easily slightly defocus the picture which reduces the screen door (similar to what Panasonic have done, only they have defocused the actual lcd panels on the 200) and I dont find it obtusive.

The black levels are ok with contrast at 400:1, but I certainly wouldnt want any lower contrast ratio.

Sen

Hey guys - just read your comments on paint etc for screens and I am the importer of Insuladd (microscopic ceramic paint additive). I would be very interested in your feedback if you would like to test this for me with regard to using it for a screen. It adds a very fine texture to any paint - that is unnoticeable to the human eye (similar to a very fine sandpaper). It is usually used to insulate walls, and roofs etc but I would be very interested in your feedback . It is very easy to use. If you are interested please say.

The bad news is there is no such product as Icestorm available in NZ....according to the local Dulux Paint rep.

Good news is I did hear that Spotlight have a material in stock which can be used for projector screens. I've just been in to look at it. Looks and feels just like a normal projector screen It is $2.99 a metre. Only issues are:

1) it is 1.2m wide so if you want a screen that is more than 1.2m in height, you will have a visible join line, and

2) Have no idea if it gives a decent picture!!!!!! ( eg gain??)

At least at $2.99/m it won't be a costly trial.

Cheers,

Slippery

Somewhere, cant remember if it was Spotlight or Harvey Furnishings have curtain block-out material which is what I use for my screen.

It is about 2.2m wide, cant remember the $$ per metre, I have had it for ages (and my wife bought it, bless her). the results are very pleasing.

Sen