Sign in to follow this  
DoggieHowser

Eagles re-release 'Hell Freezes Over' LP

13 hours ago, Cardiiiii said:

Picked up a copy from Discrepancy Records.

Don't keep us in suspense :) how does it sound?

Posted (edited)

Tried getting it 2 weeks ago while at JB Hifi, at Penrith, and later, at Redeye vinyl across Townhall station, but they haven't got it yet then.  Meanwhile since coming back, I've already gotten 1 copy from simply music and 2 copies from Richard (both at adephi) and 1 copy delivered to the office which I haven't picked up yet. If they say there were some pressing issues with this release I'll be miffed.

I compared this remaster on CD to the original Geffen CD (pressed by JVC USA factory). Prefer the original jvc for more focused imaging, weightier, and more opened presentation. I'll treat the new pressing to 48 hours on the shakti stone, and a tap water bath before comparing again. 

When I'm more relaxed, I'll compare this remaster vinyl against the original Dutch Geffen.

Edited by jeromelang

15 hours ago, magical said:

Thoughts?  I'd rather gargle soap than listen to this.

The only thing i like they recorded is used as the theme music fir Hitchhikers guide to the galacy.

Why did you buy it then? I'm confused...

7 hours ago, DoggieHowser said:

Don't keep us in suspense :) how does it sound?

Need to pick it up over the weekend from the post office

So TIDAL offers up 2 versions of this album - the original and the 2018 Remaster.

OMG the remaster is terrible.

1 hour ago, DoggieHowser said:

So TIDAL offers up 2 versions of this album - the original and the 2018 Remaster.

OMG the remaster is terrible.

Hopefully that is just the digital version.

Looking at dynamic range of the new vinyl mastering it is superior to the original CD and the Simply Vinyl repress. The original Geffen lp is still slightly better. I know that DR does not necessarily equate to superior mastering but the fact Chris Bellman cut the lacquer is a good sign.

On 25/03/2019 at 11:20 PM, magical said:

The only thing i like they recorded is used as the theme music fir Hitchhikers guide to the galacy.

I agree, it's hard to think of such worse that to be subject to this. The DTS dvd is horrible, the engineer has just thrown sound arround, when you see a Sax player standing next to the singer, but his sound comes from the rear left,  you know it's bad. The now accecped rule in mixing is don't throw the sound arround just because you can. 

Maybe people like it cause it validates their rear speakers. 

On 25/03/2019 at 11:20 PM, magical said:

8 minutes ago, magical said:

I agree, it's hard to think of such worse that to be subject to this. The DTS dvd is horrible, the engineer has just thrown sound arround, when you see a Sax player standing next to the singer, but his sound comes from the rear left,  you know it's bad. The now accecped rule in mixing is don't throw the sound arround just because you can. 

Maybe people like it cause it validates their rear speakers. 

You agree with yourself?

I dunna' thinks 'ya knows how to quotes on 'za interwebs!?  :afro:

Going to pick mine up from the post office tomorrow, has anyone had a chance to listen yet?

11 hours ago, candyflip said:

You agree with yourself?

I dunna' thinks 'ya knows how to quotes on 'za interwebs!?  :afro:

I don't know what you mean. I'm posting a personal opinion, Your comment is meaningless. 

1 hour ago, magical said:

I don't know what you mean. I'm posting a personal opinion, Your comment is meaningless. 

It's pretty simple.

You quoted your own post from the 25/3, same thread, and said you agreed with it - like someone else had said it.

But they were both from you.

So a bit odd, and amusing.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Cardiiiii said:

Going to pick mine up from the post office tomorrow, has anyone had a chance to listen yet?

I’ve listened to mine a few times and compared it to the bootleg vinyl I already owned (couldn’t afford the original or Simply Vinyl). The remastering is very good IMHO and pressing is dead quiet. The sound? Excellent separation, stronger bottom end and improved midrange clarity compared to the bootleg. Recommended.👍

Edited by Doppelganger
Typo

Amazon says mine is coming on Monday - which is my day off so fingers crossed.

Got mine today. Superb. Don’t hesitate 

Listening on a Planar 6 through a Primare R32 (thanks @ray4410) and separated through a set of Beolab5’s. Thumbs up from me

05D975A2-E9D8-455D-A480-3D9C18FDC7D0.jpeg

4AD3FB12-A0D1-4B2B-81B3-31FA942DEE1F.jpeg

so i guess my original eu copy is no longer worth $$$   :(

Glad this helped the guys hunting for a copy of this. My two copies have been on board for delivery since 8pm last night according to Amazon Prime. I’m still at home expecting a knock on the door.

Which reminds me. Better put on some pants