Eagles re-release 'Hell Freezes Over' LP

Sorry for the thread necromancy.. but

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07MCXWP1M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The original Geffen repressing is out again. Even though I got the Simply Vinyl repress, I am getting this one :D (two actually) and shipping is free if you are a Prime member - I just got a Prime subscription for streaming Grand Tour so WOOT!!!

Run.. don't walk!!

I tried seeing if JB would carry this but nada. 

On a hunch I started looking for more OOP titles - and I found King Curtis Soul Meeting and Oscar Peterson Trio - but these seem to be European bootlegs :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoggieHowser said:

Sorry for the thread necromancy.. but

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07MCXWP1M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The original Geffen repressing is out again. Even though I got the Simply Vinyl repress, I am getting this one :D (two actually) and shipping is free if you are a Prime member - I just got a Prime subscription for streaming Grand Tour so WOOT!!!

Careful - there are already significant concerns with the pressing quality on this new one.

There is talk of a recall on the first pressing run.

5 minutes ago, candyflip said:

Careful - there are already significant concerns with the pressing quality on this new one.

There is talk of a recall on the first pressing run.

Can you post a link to discussions regarding pressing quality?

As soon as I read DoggieHowsers posts I bought a copy.

29 minutes ago, kelossus said:

Can you post a link to discussions regarding pressing quality?

As soon as I read DoggieHowsers posts I bought a copy.

It would be bad form to link directly to another music discussion forum from our own (especially from me!), but if you use Google, and type in this exactly (ie. copy and paste it), it should appear :  "Eagles's album Hell Freezes Over Remaster".

8 pages, but lot's of opinions.

9 minutes ago, candyflip said:

It would be bad form to link directly to another music discussion forum from our own (especially from me!), but if you use Google, and type in this exactly (ie. copy and paste it), it should appear :  "Eagles's album Hell Freezes Over Remaster".

8 pages, but lot's of opinions.

Hahaha never even thought of that. Found the thread though. I just saw Chris Bellman cut the lacquer and that was more than enough reason to buy.

At the end of the $55 isn't too much of an outlay and I have always wanted it vinyl.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kelossus said:

Hahaha never even thought of that. Found the thread though. I just saw Chris Bellman cut the lacquer and that was more than enough reason to buy.

At the end of the $55 isn't too much of an outlay and I have always wanted it vinyl.

Yep, enough good reviews for me to pull the trigger - yippee ki yay!

Hi. Interesting post. Can I ask what is bootleg?  Does bootleg mean fake? Not sure if my version is fake or not?  I think it’s simply vinyl version? Regards, DL
7CC0102F-6A42-4E32-9ABB-4DA4B76F613F.thumb.jpeg.3982eae406305fdc94d05d34d07b5e3d.jpeg
45F28D10-99F3-4189-9F6B-B858F5858EB5.thumb.jpeg.396f851dc940d19d7b99ce44d7a7d2af.jpeg

Simply Vinyl was a reissue. Not a bootleg. Unless there’s a bootleg of the SV pressing?

17 minutes ago, DoggieHowser said:

Simply Vinyl was a reissue. Not a bootleg. Unless there’s a bootleg of the SV pressing?

There's been bootlegs of this a couple of times.  What they use as a master, who knows?  SV was released in 1998, so could be that or the original.    I have a bootleg copy, and it sounds excellent!

On 23/03/2019 at 7:40 PM, linnmaster said:

... Can I ask what is bootleg?  Does bootleg mean fake? ...

I think "bootleg" and "pirate" are being confused here, they are often used interchangeably but are different:

Pirate/counterfeit:  an unauthorised copy of an officially-released disk by another company, passed off as an official release by the authorised company.  Can also refer to an unauthorised re-release of previously officially-released material, eg. the Indonesian compilation cassettes that were popular in the 70's.  With pirate/counterfeit disks, the artists, labels and other copyright owners do not get any royalty $ they are entitled to from the sale of the work (if it was authorised). 

Bootleg: Also unauthorised disks, and no money goes to the legitimate owners.  However, bootlegs release material that was previously unavailable - typically audience-recorded concerts, but also studio outtakes and radio broadcasts. 

The industry was originally hard on bootleggers, but now tends to turn a blind eye to it as they realised it is somewhat of a niche area, and a code of free online sharing has driven most of the disk-production companies broke.  In comparison, the industry is harder on pirates, as they tend to press in large quantities and have a greater impact on the major companies profits. 

Grey area:  These are releases that are somewhat legal in some countries and not in others.  They are becoming more common, as some European countries' copyright laws have expired after something like 50yrs, allowing anyone to copy and reproduce previously copyrighted material.  Some people find them unethical.  They may be legal in the country that produced the disks, but not legal in other countries where the copyright laws are different and the copyright has not passed into public domain.  Examples are mult-CD sets of an artist's series of record releases (emulating the trend of the major companies to release the mult-album budget CD set), and European jazz LPs. 

1 hour ago, kelossus said:

Thoughts?

Thoughts?  I'd rather gargle soap than listen to this.

The only thing i like they recorded is used as the theme music fir Hitchhikers guide to the galacy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, magical said:

The only thing i like they recorded is used as the theme music fir Hitchhikers guide to the galacy.

Are you referring to the Hell Freezes Over remaster in question or the Eagles in general?

Edited by kelossus

Tried getting it 2 weeks ago while at JB Hifi, at Penrith, and later, at Redeye vinyl across Townhall station, but they haven't got it yet then.  Meanwhile since coming back, I've already gotten 1 copy from simply music and 2 copies from Richard (both at adephi) and 1 copy delivered to the office which I haven't picked up yet. If they say there were some pressing issues with this release I'll be miffed.

I compared this remaster on CD to the original Geffen CD (pressed by JVC USA factory). Prefer the original jvc for more focused imaging, weightier, and more opened presentation. I'll treat the new pressing to 48 hours on the shakti stone, and a tap water bath before comparing again. 

When I'm more relaxed, I'll compare this remaster vinyl against the original Dutch Geffen.

Edited by jeromelang

15 hours ago, magical said:

Why did you buy it then? I'm confused...

1 hour ago, DoggieHowser said:

So TIDAL offers up 2 versions of this album - the original and the 2018 Remaster.

OMG the remaster is terrible.

Hopefully that is just the digital version.

Looking at dynamic range of the new vinyl mastering it is superior to the original CD and the Simply Vinyl repress. The original Geffen lp is still slightly better. I know that DR does not necessarily equate to superior mastering but the fact Chris Bellman cut the lacquer is a good sign.

• Like 1

On 25/03/2019 at 11:20 PM, magical said:

I agree, it's hard to think of such worse that to be subject to this. The DTS dvd is horrible, the engineer has just thrown sound arround, when you see a Sax player standing next to the singer, but his sound comes from the rear left,  you know it's bad. The now accecped rule in mixing is don't throw the sound arround just because you can. 

Maybe people like it cause it validates their rear speakers. 

• Like 1

On 25/03/2019 at 11:20 PM, magical said:

8 minutes ago, magical said:

I agree, it's hard to think of such worse that to be subject to this. The DTS dvd is horrible, the engineer has just thrown sound arround, when you see a Sax player standing next to the singer, but his sound comes from the rear left,  you know it's bad. The now accecped rule in mixing is don't throw the sound arround just because you can. 

Maybe people like it cause it validates their rear speakers. 

You agree with yourself?

I dunna' thinks 'ya knows how to quotes on 'za interwebs!?  :afro:

• Like 1