Project Debut Carbon to 1Xpression Classic. Worthy upgrade?

Gday all

Relatively new (couple of years) into vinyl. I've developed a good collection. I have a Project Debut Carbon with the acrylic platter and ortofon blue upgrades. There's a 1xpression Classic that has come up that I'm interested in. Is it a worthy upgrade, or would I struggle to notice the difference?

I have the Schiit Mani phono stage, Anthem i225 and a pair of ML60xt.

Would the acrylic platter I have on the debut fit the classic? Is that worth doing?

All thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Aaron

On 25/03/2019 at 8:51 PM, Fubar990 said:

Gday all

Relatively new (couple of years) into vinyl. I've developed a good collection. I have a Project Debut Carbon with the acrylic platter and ortofon blue upgrades. There's a 1xpression Classic that has come up that I'm interested in. Is it a worthy upgrade, or would I struggle to notice the difference?

I have the Schiit Mani phono stage, Anthem i225 and a pair of ML60xt.

Would the acrylic platter I have on the debut fit the classic? Is that worth doing?

All thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Aaron

I used to drink at the Grand Junction back in the 70's. What a pub that was.

Depends on the price mate.

It would only be a small improvement. The Carbon's pretty good for the price.

Thanks Guys

Its in the box, brand new for $850, no cart.  Seems ok price wise.  I note your comments though. 

Fine on the Grand Junction Wimbo ?

@rantan, I figured an Ortofon Blue might be as high as you'd want to go on a Debut anyway....but I do have a mate who put a Denon DL103 on his and I liked the sound of it a lot.

There's also an LP12 Sondek in Syd for about $1500, but you wonder if age becomes an issue then.  I am not likely to ever spend $2k+ on a turntable anyway...unlike many others on these forums....I love looking at them but couldn't justify the expenditure based on the other challenges in life. 

Bruce in East Maitland has this ERA and others like it.  Beautiful to look at, and wonder what it might be like with a really nice cart on it.  Age again is a factor (although these are apparently completely unused and refurbished).  There's very little on the net about them though....some discussion on here and on vinylengine....not glowing really.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/east-maitland/other-audio/vintage-1970s-french-era-5055-turntable-record-player-nos/1211577192

Edited by Fubar990

Guest thathifiguy

I'm on a similar page to @rantan however, I would suggest looking at the Phono Stage.

I did a side by side once, Debut Carbon VS 1Xpression Carbon Classic with Pro-Ject Phonobox VS Tube Box S.

The most noticeable change occurred with upgraded phono stage and very little difference between the two actual turntables.

get the 1xpression.

it's easily the better turntable.

better build, better bearing, better tonearm.

with the same cartridge, it should sound better than the debut.

and will provide a better basis for future cartridge upgrades.

remember the linn chant - turntable, tonearm, cartridge

?

Edited by michaelw
  • Like 2

Guest Mr Thorens

I've previously owned the 1expression. Yes the arm is very good it's a carbon fibre and the plinth and motor were I thought better than RP3. However the stock platter is steel and acrylic upgrade is definitely worth it. I think the 1expression with acrylic platter and Ortofon Blue would be a good deck. 

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Really appreciate it. Ill have a think about it.

Update

I just checked gumtree again. Looks like it's sold. I'm kinda thankful. Need to smell the roses for a bit I think. I've had fun buying a bunch of gear. Time to stop looking and just listen.

22 hours ago, Fubar990 said:

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Really appreciate it. Ill have a think about it.

Update

I just checked gumtree again. Looks like it's sold. I'm kinda thankful. Need to smell the roses for a bit I think. I've had fun buying a bunch of gear. Time to stop looking and just listen.

Great price for this deck, with full warranty from @Douglas HiFi Much better tonearm than the Carbon and this will allow you to move high up the cartridge food chain.

• Like 1

If you could get hold of a good used 2M Bronze for your Debut Carbon I think you'd be happy for a bit. Did this upgrade myself and was very pleased with the result. Really made my system come alive. 

• Like 1