Sign in to follow this  
HUMBUG89

HK990 problem?

I brought a Harmon Karmon HK990 a while back as a back up Amp. It work and sounds good when I used it mostly over the Summer months ( my normal amp is a valve integraded Leben CS600 it gets very hot over the Summer to use)

However when I set it up this time the Fans appeared to be not working. I did only leave it on for a short time, but as this amp can get warm to hot sometimes I turned it off. 

Not bring familiar with this amp, I was wondering if anyone who is can tell me if the Fans come on and off and I may have been misreading the problem or what the problem could be and if it is an easy fix or far more difficult to Fix.

Would like to use this amp as it sound very good, but not sure if I have a problem or not and I don't like to use it in case it overheats and may create other problems. I could do with a little bit of help before I start looking around for someone to fix and considering it's weight it would be very expensive to send to Melbourne for repair.

I don't know if the fans switch on and off as I'm never close enough to notice.  However I have played the HK990 when its been hot to touch and its been fine.

@warweary Thanks for that. I should point out I did take it a tech. at a place here  in Ballarat that mostly deals with anything from toasters to heaters and anything inbetween. They have done a good on somethings I have taken to them in HiFi but mostly items that don't need too much attendance. However I think it stumped  them . they told they weren't able to repair it, I think really they didn't want to have repair something which may take some time. 

I seem to recall that the amp has a thermal 'control' in it which if the amp reaches a certain temp/point it will cut out, that is why I have not used it for too long a period, well to be honest I haven't tried as I don't wish to put it in the system just in  case if it happens or more likely if it dosen't  it  won't cause any damage anywhere else such as the speakers. I can't afford to replace them!. they did give me the name of a place in Melbourne which I have never heard of, but shipping it would be a costly thing and I don't wish to drive down there. So if I can find out a little more about it, I can maybe find someone up here and provide some info for them to work with. 

I remember seeing an earlier thread on this topic. Have you tried searching for one?