AFL Footy 2020 in memory of Nude

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Mendes said:

🙏........

Well deserved, Steve. Our normally reliable engine room let us down. A great game to be at but the wrong result for us West Coast fans.

With only a half full stadium, I have never heard such a loud chorus of boos at a couple of umpiring decsisions but, in the end, the Pies deserved the win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Colli................. wobble.

I'd given up on the Pies early in the final term. But Boy Oh Boy Wowee, what a cracking fourth quarter. Great entertainment. That effort made the loss a bit less hard to accept.  

PORT  - MINOR PREMIERS - AGAIN  ( 2002, 2003, 2004, 2020 ) Not overley confident about the Finals though as we had a, not so bad draw, this year for a change and we had some lucky wins, but hey! 

1 hour ago, wolster said:

Well deserved, Steve. Our normally reliable engine room let us down. A great game to be at but the wrong result for us West Coast fans.

With only a half full stadium, I have never heard such a loud chorus of boos at a couple of umpiring decsisions but, in the end, the Pies deserved the win.

Oh Wol,  they let you and Australia down -  what a bloody good game though. The best final so far 2020 

• Like 1
On 24/09/2020 at 7:39 AM, Cloth Ears said:
  • St Kilda, in a word, 'belief'. Neither team really has more right to be in the eight than GWS, Carlton or Melbourne, yet hear they are. I just reckon the Saints will have that last ounce of grit left when it comes to finishing off the match.
  • Collingwood, only because I think West Coast might be over-confident. The Pies have a few injuries and the Eagles are at home, so it would make more sense to go the Eagles - but I would prefer Collingwood to drop out of the finals later. Remember the old Zen koan - It is better to beat Collingwood by 1 point in the Grand Finla than it is to beat them by 100 points.

Those two are amazing calls. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, LHC said:

Those two are amazing calls. 

Why thank you, sir!

The only bummer about the entire round was the lack of discipline shown by Richmond. It actually made the Friday night match the one that was probably the least watchable of the four - and it was still pretty good up until half time. So, that now leaves us with an all Victorian-based semi-final round!

I still think that Geelong will take the qualifying loss as a 'clip round the ear' and come back against a valiant Collingwood squad. As this game will be at the Gabba and not Optus, where the Pies have been playing well this year, I think they will just be a little too good.

And I really don't know about Richmond. Will they bow out this round, or against the Power in the Preliminaries? Will Paddy Ryder and Jake Carlisle be the difference in the upcoming match? If they were fit, I would say yes - but they're not, so I'm thinking Richmond will prevail. This might be an ugly match...

Qualifying / Elimination finals   Semi-finals   Preliminary finals   Grand final

QF1: 1 Oct, Adelaide Oval  
  1  Port Adelaide 9.4 (58)  
  4  Geelong 5.12 (42)     SF1:   
      Geelong      
  EF1: 3 Oct, Optus Stadium     Collingwood         PF1: 
  5  West Coast 11.9 (75)       Port Adelaide    
  8  Collingwood 12.4 (76)         St KildaRichmond       GF: 24 Oct, Gabba
        Port Adelaide  
  EF2: 3 Oct, Gabba       PF2:      Geelong  
  6  St Kilda 10.7 (67)         RichmondBrisbane Lions    
  7  Western Bulldogs 9.10 (64)     SF2:        Geelong    
      Brisbane LionsRichmond      
  QF2: 2 Oct, Gabba     St Kilda      
  2  Brisbane Lions 10.9 (69)  
  3  Richmond 8.6 (54)  

I'll still leave the GF tipping until after I see how close I was for the rest...

6 hours ago, Cloth Ears said:
  Qualifying / Elimination finals   Semi-finals   Preliminary finals   Grand final

Geelong      
  EF1: 3 Oct, Optus Stadium     Collingwood         PF1: 
        Port Adelaide  
      Brisbane LionsRichmond      
  QF2: 2 Oct, Gabba     St Kilda      
  3  Richmond 8.6 (54)  

I'll still leave the GF tipping until after I see how close I was for the rest...

I'll show my bias here and think the Pies will down Geelong. The Pies have the wood on them in the last couple of years. Hawkins confidence must be shattered and has the yips. He is their most important player and a barometer for them. When both sides were in form earlier in the year it was a comfortable but hard fought win to the Pies 57 to 35. Geelong haven't beaten a good team in 6 rounds and I feel they are limping to the line, whereas the Pies confidence is now sky high after beating our bogey side. Geelong will have the "out in straight sets " tag sitting in the back of their mind too.

image.thumb.png.ff8e91de10c2703b52753253a2a63065.png

I don't know how far the Pies can go, but if ever there was a year to take home the silverware from outside the top 4, this is it. Short season, shorter game time and they are all fresher later in the season with 7 day breaks than they would be in previous years. Cox has been on the improve in recent weeks as has Mihocek. This is what brought the faster ball movement on Saturday. DeGoey is also due to rip a game apart and spend a bit more time on the ball next week I'd suggest.

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, blybo said:

I'll show my bias here and think the Pies will down Geelong.

I've learned never to argue with a Collingwood supporter...I'm not worried about players and supposed form going into the game. Cats have been really good at both Queensland venues, the Pies haven't. That's what I based my forecast on.

But I hope it's like the game against the Eagles!

1 minute ago, Cloth Ears said:

I've learned never to argue with a Collingwood supporter.

I'm a rare breed, a rational pies member :fear:. My read has been on form, and neither were great leading into finals, but you can see the trend of Collingwood improving over the last 3-4 rounds, and the Cats aren't :P

• Like 1

OK. Time for the penultimate round...No change. Still expecting Port to win at home and Geelong to win at (their home away from) home.

And I'd like to say I think the Cats can give Gazza another premiership in his last game, but that might just be a fairy tale too far. I think it's still a toss-up and the result might depend on the toughness of the two preliminary finals or on the injuries sustained (like in the semi's).

Geelong 15.10 (100)    
  EF1: 3 Oct, Optus Stadium     Collingwood 5.2 (32)       PF1: 
        Port Adelaide  
      Brisbane LionsRichmond 12.8 (80)    
  QF2: 2 Oct, Gabba     St Kilda 6.13 (49)    
  3  Richmond 8.6 (54)  

14 hours ago, Grumpy said:

I'm hoping for a non VIC GF   -  PORT  v  BRISBANE.

Last time these two played in GF, the MCG was the lowest attendance for a Grand Final since the one at Waverly in 1991 (and the lowest at the MCG since 1948. Not much of an atmosphere - and you could walk-up and get in right up to the opening bounce. But, with any luck, the Gabba should be as full as it's allowed to be. It means we don't have to listen to the drivel that passes for commentary nowadays.

They 'deserve' it, finishing 1st and 2nd. I use quotes as, does anyone deserve a place in the GF(?), rather they earn it.

BUGGER.  oh well we had a very good year and hopefully 2021 will be a bit better.

Hoping for a Brisbane win tomorrow

• Like 1

I've been watching footy for a long time and last night there were some of the most baffling umpiring decisions I've ever seen - all to Port's disadvantage. Pretty shameful IMO.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gemini07 said:

I've been watching footy for a long time and last night there were some of the most baffling umpiring decisions I've ever seen - all to Port's disadvantage. Pretty shameful IMO.

Would agree totally with the above statement, except I'd have it as "mostly to Port's disadvantage." And with the game so close for the entire (however many) minutes, it was a bit of a shame. Especially that out of bounds decision that resulted in the Tiger's last goal.

Still, enjoyed the teams efforts and I think Port might be even stronger next year.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
On 12/10/2020 at 11:36 AM, Cloth Ears said:

And I'd like to say I think the Cats can give Gazza another premiership in his last game, but that might just be a fairy tale too far. 

That's what I'm hoping for. He is a little champion. It would also give Dangerfield the recognotion he deserves. Amazing that he has never been in a grand final at any level, even at school.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I was also hoping for a Geelong win but, after all the difficulties of season 2020, it was a great grand final that confirmed Dusty Martin as a legend of the game.

• Like 1