Mr Thorens

Technics SP10 Appreciation Thread

I'll keep this thread alive. I've just joined the SP10 club.

Bought a renovators delight. PLL circuit is not operational and one of the platter retaining screws is stripped in the sub platter. An probably a new paint job.

The plinth is going to be resin and bentonite. I have an EPA100 and EPC100 to go with it. Just need to send the EPC100 back to VDH for repair.

P_20190911_110713.jpg

P_20190909_124925.jpg

But can anyone advise me where I could get repairs to an SP10mk2

in Sydney? (or maybe elsewhere!)

On 25/10/2019 at 6:54 PM, John Bates said:

Hi @John Bates - what is wrong with it, do you know?

Cheers, Owen

On 25/10/2019 at 4:54 PM, John Bates said:

I have just repaired mine, 5 faults including a couple of dodgy mods to keep it going. Took me quite a few hours to get the thing going. So repairs will not be cheap unless you can find someone who knows the SP10 really well.

What is the problem?

Edited by Warren Jones

Wish I knew. At first I thought it was the plug which was temperamental but then the deck became erratic. It's an old one, ex ABC. Have now handed it to a service guy about whom I have misgivings though I have sent him the service manual purchased from the UK. Yes, I'm apprehensive about the cost .

What is the symptom?

If the platter is vibrating, it could be a few things.

It is important that the 5 and 32.5 volts are adjusted correctly. Electrolytic caps in the power supply and the 3 motor drive C2, C4 and C6 are suspects.

The period adjustment. In my case someone had it cranked way out and caused vibration.

T1 on the motor drive PCB sets the 10v P-P at C2

Love them, nice and compact

Did some work on creating anew plinth. Made of Bunnings  Hardwood Project panels three layers with steel plates inside. Now weighs approx 30kg, and the mass does improve the sound. 

AFA24CAA-F8A6-48E4-8894-686F3B3BEA32.jpeg

3D7F0B1D-7F57-4A2E-8CDA-18A9F7185EAA.jpeg

52C36D2E-D46C-4171-94CE-F7D970E86A3A.jpeg

Got the SP10 with DIY linear tonearm and bentonite/resin plinth up and running, with a Stanton 881s it sounds amazing.

The LTA is a big improvement even over the exceptional EPA100

P_20200530_160828.jpg

On 27/10/2019 at 8:14 AM, Warren Jones said:

I have just repaired mine, 5 faults including a couple of dodgy mods to keep it going. Took me quite a few hours to get the thing going. So repairs will not be cheap unless you can find someone who knows the SP10 really well.

What is the problem?

What is the problem?

Normally the issue is in the psu, there are three caps that have issues as they are stressed and they are usually speed issues. Contact me if you need more help. The caps in the turntable are normally fine, but it wont hurt to replace them, that said I would look at the psu first. You can download the service manual from VE too. Have you tested the voltages on the psu? 

Chris

On 27/10/2019 at 11:15 AM, John Bates said:

Wish I knew. At first I thought it was the plug which was temperamental but then the deck became erratic. It's an old one, ex ABC. Have now handed it to a service guy about whom I have misgivings though I have sent him the service manual purchased from the UK. Yes, I'm apprehensive about the cost .

I read the rest of the thread. Psu is for sure where you need to start you WILL almost for sure have problems with 2 or more electrolytic caps. Dont use it till you sort this as it is possible this can cause problems inside the turntable. Just reap the psu.

Chris 

On 03/06/2020 at 9:10 PM, Warren Jones said:

Got the SP10 with DIY linear tonearm and bentonite/resin plinth up and running, with a Stanton 881s it sounds amazing.

The LTA is a big improvement even over the exceptional EPA100

P_20200530_160828.jpg

Did you make the arm? I am just about to make a turntable and arm, but not going linear, but love my ET2.  Anyway nice job if you diid and the SP10 looks great in black

Posted (edited)
On 04/06/2020 at 10:41 PM, cafe latte said:

What is the problem?

Normally the issue is in the psu, there are three caps that have issues as they are stressed and they are usually speed issues. Contact me if you need more help. The caps in the turntable are normally fine, but it wont hurt to replace them, that said I would look at the psu first. You can download the service manual from VE too. Have you tested the voltages on the psu? 

Chris

I changed the faulty caps in the PSU. But most of the problem was in the TT. 1 faulty transistor on the Control PCB, extra electo caps on the Logic PCB these were removed. A few dry joints and a broken PCB trace. The sub platter 1 of the M3 bolt holes was stripped so I redrilled new holes for the platter bolts.

On 04/06/2020 at 10:47 PM, cafe latte said:

Did you make the arm? I am just about to make a turntable and arm, but not going linear, but love my ET2.  Anyway nice job if you diid and the SP10 looks great in black

Yes I made the arm and plinth. All machining done inhouse. Took me 4 months to construct the arm and it still needs some tweaks. The carriage is too heavy for the Stanton 881s, so it miss tracks on some off centre pressings. Once I have milling machine operational again I will make a new carriage that is much lighter.

The rail the carriage runs on is 2x 4mm carbide rods epoxied to stainless base. VTA is by the knobs on top which move each end independently. VTA blocks run on 8mm linear shaft in brass bushings. The whole shebang slides back on 12mm industrial (better tolerance) linear bearings to facilitate LP changes.

Sound is extremely good even with the issue it has. Bass punch is like nothing I have heard from a TT. This is down to the short (55mm stylus to pivot) extremely stiff carriage.

It does look good in black, but that was only due to the fact I had black chassis paint left over from the car.

Edited by Warren Jones

I like my SP10 mk2 as well 🙂 It replaced my heavily modded Lenco (with a hardwood plinth, expensive aftermarket bearing etc.) and I couldn't be happier. The craziest thing is that I spent more on getting the Lenco fettled than I spent on my Technics, yet the Technics is in a different league sonically. 

Mine is an ex-BBC unit (SP10 mk2 P/L) that I fixed myself and converted to a regular/domestic spec to get rid of the ugly BBC control box. I was very lucky to find a replacement logic board on eBay...

Yes I once had a Lenco too. Not bad but fiddly and high maintenance and in the end the number of upgrades required made it expensive and high maintenance. And the SP10 is sonically superior anyway.