Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Mr Thorens

Technics SP10 Appreciation Thread

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Owen Y said:

 

Actually IMHO, the main sonic advantage of linear trackers, is not more accurate tracking but elimination of the need for anti-skating, no bias side-forces - you can hear that in the hugely improved tracking stability, dynamic / pitch stability. 

 

 

Absolutely!  :thumb:

 

8 minutes ago, Owen Y said:

 

BTW IMHO again the main drawback in the Terminator design is the short arm-wand - greater variation in stylus VTA with record thickness, is obvious & a nuisance.

 

 

Is VTA difficult to adjust?

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, andyr said:

 

Absolutely!  :thumb:

 

 

Is VTA difficult to adjust?

 

Andy

 

Just rotate the black knob at the top clockwise or counter and if you have the digital caliper option you'll be able an adjust the height within .01mm.

 

Keng.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kwtools said:

Just rotate the black knob at the top clockwise or counter and if you have the digital caliper option you'll be able an adjust the height within .01mm.

 

Keng.

 

Thank you, Keng.  That makes it easy to account for LP thickness differences!  :thumb:

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry @andyr - poor choice of words.

The Terminator's Effective Length is only around 75mm, so you can appreciate that variations on record thickness will generate much more dramatic changes in VTA/SRA. Fortunately, the Terminator is designed for convenient VTA adjustment.

 

@kwtools - (back on topic ;) ) what 'mechanical modifications' did you feel necessary to make to your SP-10?

 

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Edited by Owen Y

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


22 minutes ago, Owen Y said:

Sorry @andyr - poor choice of words.

The Terminator's Effective Length is only around 75mm, so you can appreciate that variations on record thickness will generate much more dramatic changes in VTA/SRA. Fortunately, the Terminator is designed for convenient VTA adjustment. 

 

@kwtools - (back on topic ;) ) what 'mechanical modifications' did you feel necessary to make to your SP-10?

 

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

 

As mentioned earlier I did make up new arm wands and they are 120 mm long. The weird looking thing next is the first generation Trans-Fi knife edge arm that I bought before its call Terminator.

 

Can't remember much (for a 75yo) on the mechanical changes as it was done many years ago, did remember replacing the black plastic ring under the big thick greyish rubber ring with three shorter segments of 7000 series Alu to reduce internal motor resonance/vibration to ensure the motor runs quieter. I happen to have made a spare set just in case a new SP10 joins my collection.

Those three pieces next to the black ring were the replacements for the black ring.

Attached photos.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, the way the SP-10's high torque  DD motor is screw-fixed down to its chassis frame, is less than structurally ideal...

(i) 4 small M4 machine screws.

(ii) A black plastic guide for the mechanical brake interfaces between these motor screws &  the SP-10 chassis frame

Your metal replacement ring pcs should be an improvement.

 

(Of course you might argue that the oroginal softer plastic material might provide some motor isolation.)

 

Terminator wand:

The longer wand will help relieve the VTA sensitivity issue with this tonearm..

 

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Owen Y said:

PS @kwtools - I see you have/hadd a Decca cartrdige fitted to your Terminator.

I am currently using a London Decca.

Oops, off topic again, sorry ;)

 

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Yes I learn about Decca from Lenco Heaven and Decca Club forums and now a Decca lover. I have got a Decca Super Gold and 2 Decca C4E all had been rebuilt by John Wright. With the right synergy of arm and TT they perform (IME) magic and I like Decca Cartridges very much. I am not comparing as there is no end to it and I do have other good cartridges like Kansui and Ortofon A90 on my other TT.

Cheers,

Keng.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


First project for this Easter complete. New heavy plinth made from 4 layers Bunnings specrite oak utility panel cut to size glued together sanded and coated with clear varnish. Sounds much better than the box plinth especially in the bass department. 

IMG_4213.JPG

IMG_4214.JPG

IMG_4215.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mr Thorens said:

First project for this Easter complete. New heavy plinth made from 4 layers Bunnings specrite oak utility panel cut to size glued together sanded and coated with clear varnish. Sounds much better than the box plinth especially in the bass department. 

IMG_4213.JPG

IMG_4214.JPG

IMG_4215.JPG

Nice.  I like the bare wood look about it.  Giving me the urge to build a new plinth!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Nice.  I like the bare wood look about it.  Giving me the urge to build a new plinth!

Try it with Birch Ply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my sp10 in goldenage plinth and 12" univector. Would like some suggestions for service in Melbourne the 45 button is a bit dicky. and was hoping to get it polished up and top plate brushed aswell as having the  start button replaced. 

Cheers

TommyIMG_20190421_105016.thumb.jpg.586a38a445005f67fffe8cc4bb12e533.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 19/04/2019 at 6:55 PM, Owen Y said:

I am currently using a London Decca.

If God had a cartridge, it would be a Decca London.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/04/2019 at 9:25 PM, kwtools said:

Yes I learn about Decca from Lenco Heaven and Decca Club forums and now a Decca lover. I have got a Decca Super Gold and 2 Decca C4E all had been rebuilt by John Wright. With the right synergy of arm and TT they perform (IME) magic and I like Decca Cartridges very much. I am not comparing as there is no end to it and I do have other good cartridges like Kansui and Ortofon A90 on my other TT.

 

Cheers,

 

Keng.

I was previously using a Kansui too ;)

(Apologies, off topic again.)

 

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Owen Y said:

I was previously using a Kansui too ;)

(Apologies, off topic again.)

 

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

With the super high prices of new cartridges released each year (IMO) the Kansui is very good value for money provided one likes it’s sound. My Kansui is staying with me for a long long time.

Cheers,

Keng.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally.... my SP-10MKII is alive in its completed new plinth...

(After gathering dust for years ;) & months messing with the plinth design & building.)

 

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

IMG_3264.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, Owen Y said:

Finally.... my SP-10MKII is alive in its completed new plinth...

(After gathering dust for years ;) & months messing with the plinth design & building.)

 

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

IMG_3264.jpg

Love it what arm are those?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @mloutfie - the one across the rear is an Analog Instruments Apparition 12" (a unipivot Cocobolo wood arm).

The other a Kenwood L-07D arm (with an Ortofon headshell LH-9000).

 

The plinth is laminated plywood, not solid but CNC profiled inside, with Stainless Steel baseplate carrying a M12  'noise sink' hex bolt under the main bearing. The whole shebang sits on 4 x mag-lev supports.

 

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

 

IMG_0226.jpg

Edited by Owen Y

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The idea is a rotationally stiff plinth (as this a DD TT with high torque motor) but with the mass, which adds stability, located at the bottom, as far away from the platter-stylus interface as poss.

 

My experience is that mass by itself, especially when coupled directly to the platter or vinyl record, robs the sound of low level & harmonic info, dynamics & 'musicality'. (YMMV of course)

 

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Owen

Great idea to distribute the mass to the outside to maximise rotational inertia and keep the overall mass as low as possible.

The EMT platter uses this same principle - it weighs 5kg, but by distributng the bulk of the mass to the outer of the large platter it achieves the same inertia as a 50kg platter but with only 5kg. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @12ax7b - it's  designed l argely to resist the significant torque of DD motors (together with that generated by the feedback speed control)

 

Yes, Rotational inertia is proportional to radius squared.

(Amazing however that stylus friction can affect even a heavy platter.)

 

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/06/2019 at 12:53 PM, Owen Y said:

Hi @mloutfie - the one across the rear is an Analog Instruments Apparition 12" (a unipivot Cocobolo wood arm).

The other a Kenwood L-07D arm (with an Ortofon headshell LH-9000).

 

The plinth is laminated plywood, not solid but CNC profiled inside, with Stainless Steel baseplate carrying a Mi12  'noise sink' hex bolt under the main bearing. The whole shebang sits on 4 x mag-lev supports.

 

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

 

IMG_0226.jpg

I’d be very interested as to the source of the heavy base plate and how you did it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Mr Thorens - sorry, real work getting in the way ;) .

 

We had a 6mm Stainless Steel plate laser-cut to size, with holes for screw-fixing, to access the SP-10 hold-down screws & for tapping M12 fine thread for the centre 'noise-sink' screw . It ended up a bit over 9kg mass. Not costly.

 

IMG_0624.thumb.jpg.c0a6d9aef944cf471b17e9a642ae9832.jpg

 

After hole-countersinking, de-burring, wet & dry sanding & washing....

 

IMG_0812.thumb.jpg.428b0fc1016c708096f4422e3bde7647.jpg

 

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Owen. I’m going to try something similar. Just need to find a local steel supplier to do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...