Technics Turntables Owners Thread

On 04/09/2018 at 4:17 PM, static_disposal said:

Cool, which arm did you end up with and what difference have you noted ?

if anyone has any info about Mk3 models (years of production, any internal differences from Mk2, etc) I'd love to know. 

@metal beatshould be able to help here. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @mloutfie - the one across the rear is an Analog Instruments Apparition 12" (a unipivot Cocobolo wood arm).

The other a Kenwood L-07D arm (with an Ortofon headshell LH-9000).

The plinth is laminated plywood, not solid but CNC profiled inside, with Stainless Steel baseplate carrying a M12  'noise sink' hex bolt under the main bearing. The whole shebang sits on 4 x mag-lev supports.

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

IMG_0226.jpg

Edited by Owen Y
  • Like 2

The idea is a rotationally stiff plinth (as this a DD TT with high torque motor) but with the mass, which adds stability, located at the bottom, as far away from the platter-stylus interface as poss.

My experience is that mass by itself, especially when coupled directly to the platter or vinyl record, robs the sound of low level & harmonic info, dynamics & 'musicality'. (YMMV of course)

Cheers, Owen

Guest 12ax7b

Hi Owen

Great idea to distribute the mass to the outside to maximise rotational inertia and keep the overall mass as low as possible.

The EMT platter uses this same principle - it weighs 5kg, but by distributng the bulk of the mass to the outer of the large platter it achieves the same inertia as a 50kg platter but with only 5kg. 

Hi @12ax7b - it's  designed l argely to resist the significant torque of DD motors (together with that generated by the feedback speed control)

Yes, Rotational inertia is proportional to radius squared.

(Amazing however that stylus friction can affect even a heavy platter.)

Cheers, Owen

Guest Mr Thorens
On 13/06/2019 at 12:53 PM, Owen Y said:

Hi @mloutfie - the one across the rear is an Analog Instruments Apparition 12" (a unipivot Cocobolo wood arm).

The other a Kenwood L-07D arm (with an Ortofon headshell LH-9000).

The plinth is laminated plywood, not solid but CNC profiled inside, with Stainless Steel baseplate carrying a Mi12  'noise sink' hex bolt under the main bearing. The whole shebang sits on 4 x mag-lev supports.

Cheers, Owen

IMG_0226.jpg

I’d be very interested as to the source of the heavy base plate and how you did it.  

Hi @Mr Thorens - sorry, real work getting in the way ;) .

We had a 6mm Stainless Steel plate laser-cut to size, with holes for screw-fixing, to access the SP-10 hold-down screws & for tapping M12 fine thread for the centre 'noise-sink' screw . It ended up a bit over 9kg mass. Not costly.

IMG_0624.thumb.jpg.c0a6d9aef944cf471b17e9a642ae9832.jpg

After hole-countersinking, de-burring, wet & dry sanding & washing....

IMG_0812.thumb.jpg.428b0fc1016c708096f4422e3bde7647.jpg

Cheers, Owen

• Like 1

Guest Mr Thorens

Thanks Owen. I’m going to try something similar. Just need to find a local steel supplier to do it. 

• 2 months later...

I'll keep this thread alive. I've just joined the SP10 club.

Bought a renovators delight. PLL circuit is not operational and one of the platter retaining screws is stripped in the sub platter. An probably a new paint job.

The plinth is going to be resin and bentonite. I have an EPA100 and EPC100 to go with it. Just need to send the EPC100 back to VDH for repair.

P_20190911_110713.jpg

P_20190909_124925.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

On 25/10/2019 at 4:54 PM, John Bates said:

But can anyone advise me where I could get repairs to an SP10mk2

in Sydney? (or maybe elsewhere!)

I have just repaired mine, 5 faults including a couple of dodgy mods to keep it going. Took me quite a few hours to get the thing going. So repairs will not be cheap unless you can find someone who knows the SP10 really well.

What is the problem?

Edited by Warren Jones

Wish I knew. At first I thought it was the plug which was temperamental but then the deck became erratic. It's an old one, ex ABC. Have now handed it to a service guy about whom I have misgivings though I have sent him the service manual purchased from the UK. Yes, I'm apprehensive about the cost .

What is the symptom?

If the platter is vibrating, it could be a few things.

It is important that the 5 and 32.5 volts are adjusted correctly. Electrolytic caps in the power supply and the 3 motor drive C2, C4 and C6 are suspects.

The period adjustment. In my case someone had it cranked way out and caused vibration.

T1 on the motor drive PCB sets the 10v P-P at C2

• Like 1

Guest Mr Thorens

Did some work on creating anew plinth. Made of Bunnings  Hardwood Project panels three layers with steel plates inside. Now weighs approx 30kg, and the mass does improve the sound. 

AFA24CAA-F8A6-48E4-8894-686F3B3BEA32.jpeg

3D7F0B1D-7F57-4A2E-8CDA-18A9F7185EAA.jpeg

52C36D2E-D46C-4171-94CE-F7D970E86A3A.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Is anyone else on here running one of these currently? I'm really enjoying the one I'm using at the moment. 

I'm interested in picking up a Linear DC power supply to see if that has an effect on the sound. Does anyone know if/where these can be sourced locally - and the kind of price I'd be looking at? 

On 05/05/2020 at 5:40 PM, Emsworth said:

Is anyone else on here running one of these currently? I'm really enjoying the one I'm using at the moment. 

I'm interested in picking up a Linear DC power supply to see if that has an effect on the sound. Does anyone know if/where these can be sourced locally - and the kind of price I'd be looking at? 

Hi,

I have one along with a Linn LP12 (relatively recent build) and a Technics SP 10 mk2 (which is waiting to be built into an acrylic plinth - I bought it as I was so impressed with the sound quality of the SL10), and I think it is a very good turntable with great ease of use and sound quality comparable to a Rega PP3. Mine has the original Technics EPC310MC cartridge, which is very good sounding - the turntable has great clarity and the diction with vocals is especially noteworthy.

I would be really interested to hear how you go with Linear DC power supply - I don't know anything about them but keep us updated if you do try one.

cheers

Cameron

• Like 1

Hi Cameron, nice to hear from another SL-10 user and fan - I also have one with the EPC310MC and agree  it's a great cartridge - in fact alongside the linear power supply project, I am also thinking forward to a time when I might get the cart retipped. 

What you say about vocals is very true. In fact I was listening to a spoken word LP the other day and was blown away by the quality of speech reproduction, which I've always heard was one sign of a decent system. 

I have been exploring Technics linear trackers for a while now (with the SL-5 and SL-Q6) but the SL-10 represents a massive step up in quality - not sure how much of this is due to the cart and how much the TT build quality, I expect it is a combo of both. It really is a very satisfying combination of unique aesthetics, solid construction and pleasing sound quality. 

Will certainly keep you posted if I do have good results with a DC power supply! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/10/2019 at 8:14 AM, Warren Jones said:

I have just repaired mine, 5 faults including a couple of dodgy mods to keep it going. Took me quite a few hours to get the thing going. So repairs will not be cheap unless you can find someone who knows the SP10 really well.

What is the problem?

What is the problem?

Normally the issue is in the psu, there are three caps that have issues as they are stressed and they are usually speed issues. Contact me if you need more help. The caps in the turntable are normally fine, but it wont hurt to replace them, that said I would look at the psu first. You can download the service manual from VE too. Have you tested the voltages on the psu? 

Chris