Technics Turntables Owners Thread

Very different. There is something immediately grabbing when you listen to the SP10iii and that’s the pitch stability. You hear it bandied around but when you hear a familiar record you immediately notice how correct the pitch is. 

I guess y being so correct you lose a bit of the warmth / romanticism that a great belt drive conveys. The Technics is CD like in that way but without losing the things we love about analog replay. 

I can understand why it has so many fans and if I had the room I would love one. It’s a bit Ying/Yang. 

Having said that that I’ve heard the SP10mkii (and don’t flame me guys) but that isn’t even in the same playing field as the mkiii. 

It it would be mk3 for me all the way. 

• Like 2

With respect to the SP10mk2, the mk3 when released in 1981 was almost twice the price and twice the weight of the mk2.   the mk3 platter weighs as much as the entire mk2 drive unit.

The popularity of the SP10mk2 these days does not diminish as they are relatively cheap and certainly cheap for the performance they provide.

The mk3 was the best motor unit Technics could make.  The mk3 did not sell in large numbers, but they go for a pretty penny these days.

The great thing about the Technics SP series is their bulletproof build.  Many are still being used 40 years later.  This is not unique to Technics, as Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha all have reliability unheard of in these days of planned obsolesce.

I have owned a 1979/1980 Pioneer Exclusive P3 for 10 years this year and it's never missed a beat - never even had a cap replaced - touch wood :).

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1

my old krebs sp10 mk 2, a bit battle scarred outside and inside it has needed a few rebuilds but sounds great.

oracle 345 tonearm, lyra delos cartridge, purist audio design proteus provectus praesto (phew) arm cable on a solid jarah plinth and black diamond racing pyramid cones.

IMG_20190317_162645190.jpg

Edited by michaelw
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mtf said:

I might have to get one of these one day I think, how much are the Mk2s on average?

It varies alot depending on condition. And fully restored would depend on finish. The cheapest would be used from Japan. You can get one for around $1000 un restored

• Like 1

Guest Mr Thorens

Dear friends I am seeing some very nice plinths in the photos. At the moment mine is what came from the radio station and the TT sounds great however your plinths look nicer. It would be interesting to know how you obtained your plinths. Did you make them or buy them from somewhere?

Bought my SP10 mk2 off a SNAer for ~ $750 (actually on eBay) as the TT unit and PSU only. Serviced, resprayed black and plinth built by the late Duc. Also sports one of his Univector tonearms with a Soundsmith MIMC cart. Since I've had this, the LP12/Lingo1/Ekos/Klyde next door hasn't had a look in. Sounds thick and cloudy compared to the SP10. All through the same phono stage (Goldnote PH10). Probably all up cost 3.5k for TT/Arm and so for the price of a Rega RP8, I think i've probably got a better TT. YMMV

image.png.678170a7b442705f465bebeb2bb13eab.png

image.png.27f761ac8569cffde4607f7e6e816fc3.png

image.png.0cd91442955053675d6b958be55a3112.png

• Like 9
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr Thorens

My plinth at the moment is just a heavy box type made of 12mm laminated particle board, I obtained a major improvement in focus and bass control by adding in anti vibration material - just used the Jaycar version of dynamat and works a treat. Added in a new 1877 phono tonearm cable obtained from a SNA member to the Ortofon AS212 tonearm and the deck sounds amazing. 

Edited by Mr Thorens

I got 2 SP10 mk2. 

One originally used in Brisbane radio station with sme 3012R tonearm. And also with build-in MM phono stage. 

The second unit from japan. With SAEC WE308sx & Fedilty Research FR64s. 

Planning to re-condition my sme 3012r, anyone here know who can upgrade turntable? 

DSC_4338.JPG

DSC_4390.JPG

• Like 3

Guest Mr Thorens
2 hours ago, Owen Y said:

Progress has been slow, but I have an SP-10 plinth build underway presently.....

1478396558_3Dcomplete120219.thumb.jpg.c947d3d1271beacf4cebd3ec26a4777b.jpg

1801952096_3D140119.thumb.jpg.7f55a1192476472acc53c9c7c1b0db56.jpg

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Makes fascinating reading especially the concept of additional internal damping and that you are using light not heavy material for top plinth to avoid loss of microdynamic musicality. 

Edited by Mr Thorens

5 hours ago, Mr Thorens said:

Makes fascinating reading especially the concept of additional internal damping and that you are using light not heavy material for top plinth to avoid loss of microdynamic musicality. 

Hi @Mr Thorens - mass is useful to 'help anchor' the significant rotational torque of these DD TTs, but IME, we don't want it near the stylus/record interface. As this tends to rob the sound of its low level detail, harmonic info, harmonic decay, etc - things which are not the SP-10's strong suits anyway I hear (IMHO, YMMV of course ;) ).

This plinth will employ a 9kg stainless steel bott plate, to provide the requisite mass, but a low C of G & also to house an Albert Porter style 'noise sink' at the main bearing.

A mock-up with 12" & 10" tonearms....

IMG_0150.thumb.jpg.bc21982578a7c45f96d967aec92d1f01.jpg

Cheers, Owen

• Like 1

Guest Mr Thorens

Thanks @Owen Y  that changes the design thoughts I had about improving my plinth. I've actually had that experience before. Once had a Lenco L71 which sounded dynamic and detailed on a box plinth and then I got a Moldova 10kg plinth and bolted it tightly only to find that it deadened the sound and robbed dynamics and air. At the moment my SP10ii is on a box plinth that came from the radio station. Dampening the sides with Dynamat (Jaycar version) made a big difference to reducing resonance and enhancing image but dampening the top flattened the sound. So I will now consider adding mass to the bottom rather than the top. 

IMG_4183.JPG

Edited by Mr Thorens

@Mr Thorens - thanks, that's useful info for me, hearing independent experience - I'm encouraged.

There are many structural details of the SP-10 MkII itself too, that can be improved, tweaked, I feel - but you don't want to 'throw baby out with bath water', so to speak.

Cheers, Owen

Edited by Owen Y