Technics Turntables Owners Thread

33 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

Hi 

Also in Brisbane and the owner of a pair of early Mk2's.

Would be interested to know who you have working on your deck.

Hey Ev, 

guy I have working on my Mk2 is named Colin. He's out in Wynnum. Backyard operation, but knows his stuff and is very resonable. Has some very nice kit lying around. If your interested I can give you his deets. Was recommended him from the lovely folk at Phase 4 records in the valley. 

14 minutes ago, static_disposal said:

Hey Ev, 

guy I have working on my Mk2 is named Colin. He's out in Wynnum. Backyard operation, but knows his stuff and is very resonable. Has some very nice kit lying around. If your interested I can give you his deets. Was recommended him from the lovely folk at Phase 4 records in the valley. 

Thanks 

I have recently had Wes aka Dr Groove work on mine ,new tone arms, led target lights and strobe, new RCA plugs and leads plus full service.

Really happy with his work, price and a nice guy.

The only reason I asked is that he is based at the Gold Coast and some one a bit nearer may have been handy. Unfortunately Wynhum is a fair way from me too. ☹️

22 hours ago, EV Cali said:

Thanks 

I have recently had Wes aka Dr Groove work on mine ,new tone arms,nice guy. 

Cool, which arm did you end up with and what difference have you noted ?

if anyone has any info about Mk3 models (years of production, any internal differences from Mk2, etc) I'd love to know. 

5 minutes ago, static_disposal said:

Cool, which arm did you end up with and what difference have you noted ?

if anyone has any info about Mk3 models (years of production, any internal differences from Mk2, etc) I'd love to know. 

They were like for like replacements of the originals that had worn bearings. From memory it was $300 per deck including fitting.

This has some of the info you are looking for .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_SL-1200

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

I am wanting to re grease my arm height adjuster on a sl-120 with a mk3 arm. It is very hard to turn up or down. I intend to follow the instructions in this u tube video. It says below the vid where the comments sometimes go, Warning. do not use lithium or copper based grease on any part of your turntable. I have been looking at the grease at repco and all tools ect. All seem to be lithium or copper based. Could anyone suggest what to use?

Thanks Rob

25 minutes ago, Hazzzy said:

Hi all.

I am wanting to re grease my arm height adjuster on a sl-120 with a mk3 arm. It is very hard to turn up or down. I intend to follow the instructions in this u tube video. It says below the vid where the comments sometimes go, Warning. do not use lithium or copper based grease on any part of your turntable. I have been looking at the grease at repco and all tools ect. All seem to be lithium or copper based. Could anyone suggest what to use?

Thanks Rob

I have used Silicon paste on plastic Turntable parts. Think I got this from Bunnings.

2094875711_SIL1.thumb.JPG.62edd52a6c261765114b3986284596e5.JPG

1082554072_SIL2.thumb.JPG.02ce640e66bcccd86fad51fcae3f39e5.JPG

Edited by EV Cali

I was looking on Gumtree recently and spotted this, just round the corner from me.

Thought it would be nice to go with my SL1200 MK2's, a SH-MZ 1200 mixer.

Sounds great and the phono's are a big improvement over my previous mixer.

1008456010_mixer2.thumb.JPG.01d38bb4b2b3250146b2188f796367a9.JPG

1839514282_mixer1.thumb.JPG.db6bb6fe9d73c1773eec5389341f67a5.JPG

Edited by EV Cali
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

• 2 months later...
Guest Mr Thorens

Hi fellow SNA'ers

Last week I was fortunate enough to  get a SP10mk2 from a radio station that's in very lightly used condition. Looks like it came from a production studio and wasn't thrashed as a main studio item. It's the most amazing TT I've heard at my place. There doesn't seem to the a specific thread for these units. So let's get started! Here's pics of mine as I received it last week. (Upgrading is underway). 

IMG_3685.JPG

IMG_3686.JPG

IMG_3687.JPG

Without a doubt the BEST spinner on the planet for the money.  Idlers and belt drives are mere toys and farming machinery by comparison IME.  Unfortunately the SP10 MKII is often the victim of audiophools who poorly implement them and blame the deck.  There is no limit on their potential as they can be mated with arms and carts of the absolute highest calibre.  I've owned well over 250 turntables and still have about 20, but the SP10 MKII is still my reference.  My only 'upgrade' would be to a MKIII. 

DSC03132 (Medium).JPG

DSC02930 (Medium).JPG

• Like 6

Guest Mr Thorens
56 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

nice arm

I think it's an Ortofon AS212mk2. I now have put a Quintet Bronze cart on it and it sounds amazing. So much scale, image definition, soundstage and with a good recording you feel like you're with the master tape and can notice all these details and the true timbre of instruments. Haven't heard anything like it. 

Yep, also settled on a Technics SP10 Mk II after trying many other turntables. Mine is plinthless (sounds v.good this way) and for the reason that I like to try out three arms and 10 cartridges and a plinth would get in the way. There is a long running thread on Audiogon discussing the merits of going plinthless, mainly that no vibrations can be transmitted via a plinth because there isn’t one!

Generally speaking, the Technics SP10 sounds fab because it is solidly built and spins the record accurately - what more can you ask for. The sound of them is precise and CD like to me, but with the vinyl virtues that mainly - the cartridge and phono preamp brings.

Cheers,

Steve.

5E67918E-E971-40E9-87CC-54FF3C656CAA.jpeg

864B2DA2-9FD7-4542-B67A-DB2517F2B25E.jpeg

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 5

SP10mk3 for me.  One of MarkT's rejects :D    Stillpoints replace the stock feet and it sit on a granite slab supported by compression springs.  It has original SL1000mk3D P mount tonearm, with EPC-P100C mk4 cart or Thales Simplicity II tonearm with Lyra Atlas SL cart. Simplicity gets most of the play time, but its fun to swap back every now and then.   

Superb table with power and precision.

37972778552_807f5bc3dc_b.jpg

35165280846_25425ea929_b.jpg

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 7

I don't own a SP-10 (only a lowly SL-120 ;)  )  but have overhauled one and was very, very impressed by the build quality and stability. Yes, they are complex and I can see how they could be a nightmare to troubleshoot, but they really are a beast of a turntable.

SP10mk2 internals.JPG

SP10mk2 naked1.JPG

SL10 1.JPG

SP10 finished3.JPG

SP10 finished5.JPG

SP10 bearing2.JPG

SP10 bearing7.JPG

SP10 bearing8.JPG

• Like 6