Mr Thorens

Technics SP10 Appreciation Thread

Hi fellow SNA'ers

Last week I was fortunate enough to  get a SP10mk2 from a radio station that's in very lightly used condition. Looks like it came from a production studio and wasn't thrashed as a main studio item. It's the most amazing TT I've heard at my place. There doesn't seem to the a specific thread for these units. So let's get started! Here's pics of mine as I received it last week. (Upgrading is underway). 

IMG_3685.JPG

IMG_3686.JPG

IMG_3687.JPG

Once you've owned a good DD turntable like an SP10 there's no going back to belt drive.

20171230_133004.jpg

Without a doubt the BEST spinner on the planet for the money.  Idlers and belt drives are mere toys and farming machinery by comparison IME.  Unfortunately the SP10 MKII is often the victim of audiophools who poorly implement them and blame the deck.  There is no limit on their potential as they can be mated with arms and carts of the absolute highest calibre.  I've owned well over 250 turntables and still have about 20, but the SP10 MKII is still my reference.  My only 'upgrade' would be to a MKIII. 

DSC03132 (Medium).JPG

DSC02930 (Medium).JPG

56 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

nice arm

I think it's an Ortofon AS212mk2. I now have put a Quintet Bronze cart on it and it sounds amazing. So much scale, image definition, soundstage and with a good recording you feel like you're with the master tape and can notice all these details and the true timbre of instruments. Haven't heard anything like it. 

Simple to use but a pain to restore or maintain though

38 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Love the simplicity of the table  AND that tone arm.  What type is it?

Posted (edited)

Yep, also settled on a Technics SP10 Mk II after trying many other turntables. Mine is plinthless (sounds v.good this way) and for the reason that I like to try out three arms and 10 cartridges and a plinth would get in the way. There is a long running thread on Audiogon discussing the merits of going plinthless, mainly that no vibrations can be transmitted via a plinth because there isn’t one!

Generally speaking, the Technics SP10 sounds fab because it is solidly built and spins the record accurately - what more can you ask for. The sound of them is precise and CD like to me, but with the vinyl virtues that mainly - the cartridge and phono preamp brings.

Cheers,

Steve.

5E67918E-E971-40E9-87CC-54FF3C656CAA.jpeg

864B2DA2-9FD7-4542-B67A-DB2517F2B25E.jpeg

Edited by Steve M

Posted (edited)

SP10mk3 for me.  One of MarkT's rejects :D    Stillpoints replace the stock feet and it sit on a granite slab supported by compression springs.  It has original SL1000mk3D P mount tonearm, with EPC-P100C mk4 cart or Thales Simplicity II tonearm with Lyra Atlas SL cart. Simplicity gets most of the play time, but its fun to swap back every now and then.   

Superb table with power and precision.

37972778552_807f5bc3dc_b.jpg

35165280846_25425ea929_b.jpg

Edited by metal beat