Sign in to follow this  

I know there are many stories about LCD3 drivers giving up. Mine was purchased in Europe in 2014, started having trouble with the left driver intermittently and it finally gave up couple of months ago. I reached out Audeze service, they indicated that its out of service (which I knew already) and that it would cost a whopping 598 USD + shipping to US and back. I prefer my HD800 and have not used LCDs that much, funny that HD800s are still going strong barring a cable tear and headband change and LCDs died on me. Has anyone had similar issue? Anyone got any idea if this can be repaired locally?

This is interesting, what about planar headphones in general? Are they as reliable as normal drivers? I've never owned any but am looking at purchasing an expensive set of Hifimans so this is of interest.

I have not heard Hifimans failing as frequently as LCDs. Believe its a QC issue with Audeze more than planar magnetic tech. Which one are you planning to get?

Posted (edited)

Older Hifiman and Audeze are equally as bad as each other when it comes to build quality and failing drivers. 

My LCD2's, 3 non fazors had failed drivers. The LCD2 non fazor driver replacement cost me $395 (when currency was almost 1:1), both drivers had to be replaced as it had to be matched and balanced and I sold off my LCD3 non fazors for parts and scrap as it wasn't worth it. They cannot be self repaired or repaired locally as it would not only be an extremely delicate job but it would not be balanced FR and sensitivity wise. 

Cheers, 

Edited by F18

Pre 2016 audeze headphone are notorious for driver failures and high unit to unit variation. Its still a problem but not anywhere near the unacceptable rates they were occurring in before.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By RadBrad
      Item: Audeze LCD-2C Classic Planar Magnetic Headphones and Arctic Cables Klotz XLR OFC Cable
      Price: $849 plus postage
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: In excellent condition, no marks or scratches. Comes with $180 custom Klotz XLR OFC Arctic Cable, original box and original 1/4 inch cable

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By BlueOceanBoy
      Item: Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 Planar Magnetic Audiophile Headphones - As new in box
      Price: $3999 ono - all offers considered
      Item Condition: New in open box
      Reason for selling: I bought two from US website - I prefer the other colour
      Extra Info:
      For Sale
      Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 Planar Magnetic Headphones – “Golden Nebula”
      As new in box – Limited Edition #50/100
      $3999 ono
      Avoid GST + customs tax + shipping = $660
      There is no AUS distributor – sold out on Rosson website
      Bought from US site – with included invoice (I bought two and decided on the other colour)

Our Take
      Alex Rosson’s new RAD-0, is an impressive bit of sound engineering, with a very solid, punchy bass capable of hitting hard, while maintaining great balance throughout the sound spectrum. The sound scales up nicely to high-end equipment, with the soundstage opening up significantly when driven balanced (Rosson is developing a stock balanced cable, to be released soon).
      It’s a fairly heavy headphone, with very luxurious earpads, that also wants a fairly powerful amplifier to sound its’ best
      This unique headphone, dubbed “Golden Nebula” features dazzling golden grilles over brightly colored resin rings that remind of deep space, with just a touch of woodgrain at the top for a truly special looking headphone.

Please note: each and every one of these first-run Rosson Audio RAD-0 is a unique creation visually, limited quantity of one. When this one is sold, it’s gone forever.

The Speaker
      Development of the RAD-0 begins with the heart of our product: the speaker (commonly known as the “transducer” or “driver” to our fellow audiophiles). Since planar speakers can be very delicate, we use a material with an extremely low mass, the strength to withstand high temperatures, movement and electrical load, and the durability to last a lifetime.
      After sourcing the speaker material, we begin designing a circuit and magnetic structure for our diaphragm. When it comes to speakers, many people assume bigger is better. Our goal, however, is to achieve a balanced sound while keeping the headphones light and comfortable. To achieve this, we fit a proprietary array of 11 N52 magnets into a medium-sized 66mm speaker. The result is a perfectly balanced listening experience with detailed transients and mids, a very tight and controlled low end, and the size and weight to comfortably wear the headphones for hours.

The Housing
      For as long as we can remember, we’ve dreamed of offering unique, custom creations with an aesthetic worthy of our premium sound. We always loved materials such as micarta and stabilized wood, and we believe we have the vision and skill to incorporate these materials into our designs. Straying from the beaten path, we collect burl, maple, teak, rocks, gems, and any other beautiful item that we can fit into our casting mold. Through determination and finesse, we turn these raw materials into rings, and then we sand and polish them before drilling entry holes for the yokes and input port.

Assembly & Testing
      While one half of the team works on the housings, the other half assembles the speakers in small batches and lets them “preburn” at 100dB for two weeks to help enrich their sound. The speakers then go through rigorous testing and validation to ensure that each pair is ready for its new home. Our testing tolerance is 0.3dB variance, and only those speakers that make it past the cut get installed into their newly made housings.

The Headband
      After installing a speaker into the housings, we turn our attention to the headband. Weight is always an issue with planar magnetic speakers, so we focus on offsetting the weight with balanced curvature, clamping force and proper placement of perfectly dense padding. The result is the most comfortable planar headphone with the smoothest size adjustment design ever created.

Specifications
      Style: Over-Ear, Open-Back Earpads – Headband : Sustainable Synthetic Protein Leather Cable: 1.2 Meters / 3.5mm TRS Transducer Type: Planar Magnetic Transducer Size: 66 Mm Frequency Response: 20hz – Beyond Audible Range THD: <0.1% Impedance: 29 Ohms

• By RadBrad
      Item: Audeze LCD-2C Classic Planar Magnetic Headphones and Arctic Cables Klotz XLR OFC Cable
      Price: $899 plus postage
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Extra Info: In excellent condition, no marks or scratches. Comes with $180 custom Klotz XLR OFC Arctic Cable, original box and original 1/4 inch cable

• By reflux075
      Item: Audeze EL-8 Titanium Close Back Full Size Planar Headphones
      Price: $390
      Item Condition: EXCELLENT! Used less than 5 times including once just before writing this ad up.
      Reason for selling: Just not into headphones.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Can post at buyers cost, I still have the box and shipping carton. Bought from @Spider27 as a brand new, refurbished headphone. Tried it 2 or 3 times and could not get into the headphone thing and it went into the cupboard. 
      Pictures: Sorry about the pics, cannot seem to rotate them.

• By Craig_H
      Item: AUDEZE LCD-2 Planar Magnetic Headphones with fazor
      Price: $1300 shipped to any state
      Item Condition: New
      Reason for selling: Found another combination that suits my music better
      Extra Info: Essentially brand new in box (note: not the plastic hard case). Purchased a few days ago and used for less than 2 hours. Stupidly, I found another combination that suits my tastes better (Campfire Cascade closed back + custom balanced cable). This model LCD-2 is a fazor model with leather headband and Rosewood cups. $rrp for this combo is around the $1800 mark. Price includes express post to anywhere in Australia (insurance for $1300 will be $25 extra).