Sign in to follow this  

I know there are many stories about LCD3 drivers giving up. Mine was purchased in Europe in 2014, started having trouble with the left driver intermittently and it finally gave up couple of months ago. I reached out Audeze service, they indicated that its out of service (which I knew already) and that it would cost a whopping 598 USD + shipping to US and back. I prefer my HD800 and have not used LCDs that much, funny that HD800s are still going strong barring a cable tear and headband change and LCDs died on me. Has anyone had similar issue? Anyone got any idea if this can be repaired locally?

This is interesting, what about planar headphones in general? Are they as reliable as normal drivers? I've never owned any but am looking at purchasing an expensive set of Hifimans so this is of interest.

I have not heard Hifimans failing as frequently as LCDs. Believe its a QC issue with Audeze more than planar magnetic tech. Which one are you planning to get?

Posted (edited)

Older Hifiman and Audeze are equally as bad as each other when it comes to build quality and failing drivers. 

My LCD2's, 3 non fazors had failed drivers. The LCD2 non fazor driver replacement cost me $395 (when currency was almost 1:1), both drivers had to be replaced as it had to be matched and balanced and I sold off my LCD3 non fazors for parts and scrap as it wasn't worth it. They cannot be self repaired or repaired locally as it would not only be an extremely delicate job but it would not be balanced FR and sensitivity wise. 

Cheers, 

Edited by F18

Pre 2016 audeze headphone are notorious for driver failures and high unit to unit variation. Its still a problem but not anywhere near the unacceptable rates they were occurring in before.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Craig_H
      Item: AUDEZE LCD-2 Planar Magnetic Headphones with fazor
      Price: $1300 shipped to any state
      Item Condition: New
      Reason for selling: Found another combination that suits my music better
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Essentially brand new in box (note: not the plastic hard case). Purchased a few days ago and used for less than 2 hours. Stupidly, I found another combination that suits my tastes better (Campfire Cascade closed back + custom balanced cable). This model LCD-2 is a fazor model with leather headband and Rosewood cups. $rrp for this combo is around the $1800 mark. Price includes express post to anywhere in Australia (insurance for $1300 will be $25 extra).

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Hirographfx
      Hi Stereonetters,

Today I purchased for NZD$1 (deemed as E-Waste) two Tascam 112R MK II Cassette Decks - I am looking for someone in NZ that can assess and repair at least one of them. One of decks powers up but when I play a tape it goes into Record Pause Mode. Neither Play, FF or RW is functioning. I contacted Fred at Retrotronics in Auckland but he does not repair he prefers to buy, restore and sell his own equipment which is understandable. I am based in Hamilton New Zealand and the repairer could use parts from one to the other or repair both... after paying out $1 I'm happy to throw some coin into this job could even give one of the decks to the repairer if they want to have one for themselves...as long as I get my one up and going. Parts available from https://tascamninja.com 

Let me know if you a guy or gal up for the job, cheers William.

• By reflux075
      Item: Audeze EL-8 Titanium Close Back Full Size Planar Headphones
      Price: $420
      Item Condition: EXCELLENT! Used less than 5 times including once just before writing this ad up.
      Reason for selling: Just not into headphones.
      Extra Info: Can post at buyers cost, I still have the box and shipping carton. Bought from @Spider27 as a brand new, refurbished headphone. Tried it 2 or 3 times and could not get into the headphone thing and it went into the cupboard. 
      Pictures: Sorry about the pics, cannot seem to rotate them.

• By JimmyiovinE
      Item: Audeze Mobius Headphones
      Price: $400.00
      Item Condition: As new 9.9/10
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Extra Info: Selling these as new Audeze Mobius headphones in as new condition these are incredible for both music and gaming not sure how much of an introduction these need as they’re multi award winning headphones utilising Audeze’s planar magnetic drivers, waves NX Head tracking for an amazing 3d immersive experience, extremely comfortable, premium design and finish and are incredible for both music and gaming and the best part is no dac/amp required these are plug and play for both PC and Consoles. 

You can find all information here: https://www.audeze.com/products/mobius-series/mobius-headphone

Pictures:

• By Swampy900
      Item: Audeze LCD3 headphones
      Price: $1,500 + postage
      Item Condition: 9/10
      Reason for selling: Just curious to try something different but need funds first.
      Extra Info: These are in excellent condition. The drivers have been updated to the post 2016 versions. Headphones are still under warranty with 2 years on the drivers and over one year on the rest. Purchased from an Australian distributor and receipt will be supplied. Complete with all original documentation and accessories.

Pictures: