Sign in to follow this  
georgehifi

Mass exodus of Chord dacs owners in the classifieds

Nice TV set-up there Ross!

The Qutest is still here, John, just being used in the second system mainly for TV!

10 hours ago, Sime V2 said:

I’m well aware that it doesn’t work like the way I questioned, I just despise the use of the word fanboi and the implications of the word. 

As my coach used to say when I played football (AFL) the problem is that it attacks the player not the ball -   the person not the idea.

“Usually” a person who calls someone else a fanboi is generally either a fan of another competing product or simply hates the product in question. For example, any Apple product that’s got a thread here you’ll without a doubt have a legion of Apple haters adding their pointless two cents into the discussion which has nothing at all to do with the product, and when defended against, the word fanboi gets flung about. 

So yes, it’s usually got nothing at all to do with the quality of a product , but a tribal insult. 

13 hours ago, rantan said:

Good idea.

These are speakers that sound great on demo but after a few weeks /months use in the home system, their shortcomings become increasingly apparent.

They are not bad speakers at all, it is just that many people who buy them, eventually discover that they have previously unrecognised limitations.

I went to a couple of dealers to hear them in different setups and I couldn't bring myself to like them. Huge WAF though.

Actually this is why the frequent calls for double blind testing happen.

Imagine the scene: two fanbois facing off against each other on a misty moor at dawn. Each turns to their seconds, who open a lined  leather-bound case. After a polite murmured, "After you", "No, after you", each fanboi carefully selects the dac of their choice.

They walk away from each other a certain number of paces to what each deems to be the best listening position. Both appear tense, running their hands over the controls, feeling the sharp edges and corners, contemplating the whiplash of the power cords and the dangers of electric shock promised by the labels "Caution! No user serviceable parts inside".

A voice calls: "Final chance. If any fanboi wishes to stop this matter now, speak up." But both men, so eloquent and garrulous in the past, now are tight-lipped.

All is still and silent on the moor.  The silence is inky black like a 24/96 recording transcribed directly from the half-speed master.

"So," the voice continues. "It is dacs at ten paces, gentlemen." Almost unconsciously, each man (for these are proud, stubborn men, you don't think a woman would be out here at the crack of dawn when a cuppa and a good bowl of muesli in bed will do), gently feels the weight and heft of their dac in their fingertips, like Australian cricketers contemplating sandpaper.

"There is but one thing remaining," the voice says. "Seconds, the blindfolds please." With care, each second ties a black cloth over the eyes of their combatant and checks the integrity of the other's blindfold. Satisfied, they nod and step back.

"You may now hurl your best shots. Good luck."

To the ordinary human being, hitting a target at ten paces while blindfolded can be rather challenging. But these are audiophiles, ears carefully curated and fine-tuned after years of listening. In an instant they can pick the difference between mp3 and flac. The shortcomings of CD versus LP redbook are child's play to discern. They know when a supertweeter is in use, and whether a speaker cable has fallen to the floor from it's dinky little plastic stand.

Each man pauses, listens, decides, and hurls.

Those sharp corners! Those knife-edged casings! The sheer weight of manufacturer-skimped electronic components! 

Of course, both men miss their targets completely.

Ego satisfied, they shake hands and go home.

It could have been a lot worse, were it not for the blindfolds. It's possible even that one or both may have struck a glancing blow!

This is why double blind testing is the best and safest method to resolve disputes among audiophiles.

Posted (edited)
On 06/05/2019 at 9:14 PM, scuzzii said:

Terry, I had a droplet CD5, great cdp and the Dac was excellent. Super tubes were rolled in and quoting the original owner,[mention=104973]JohnA[/mention], made a massive difference.

Good to see ppl still using the Droplet.

Had a smile in the Osbourne room at HiFi show seeing the player in action.

Hi John, I’m interested to find out more, if you get a chance can you please put the links up once again regarding the replacement tubes thank you.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

Posted (edited)
On ‎6‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 5:10 PM, barn door said:

Should we start a new thread “mass exodus of Kef LS50 owners in the classifieds” ??

Maybe add Bluesound Node 2 to the list along with Analysis Plus speaker cables.

Edited by Darren69

Posted (edited)
On 17/04/2019 at 7:52 PM, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Years ago I contacted Clay from @Gieseler Audio asking him whether his dacs offered a Full, rich sound with a warm mid range and no show of brightness (terrible explanation), he said that’s exactly what his Klein DAC offered at the time and that’s exactly what I got. Maybe I got lucky but his review of his dac was accurate in my case, that and real user reviews assisted in a blind purchase.

Agree that commercial reviews are good for nothing but user reviews/forum feedback generally gives you a good feel if you have a number of them to average out.

This is (in part) why I love to try to stick to Aussie products.  Often they are made available for (almost unlimited duration) home trials, for no cost at all.  The best way to sell a product you are confident in!  My OAD amplifier, was a case in point - ability to try in my system, in my room, with everything other than the amp left the same - done.

True, any shop can offer this for any product, but this ability is less common than one would hope.  

Having said that, yes I am persuaded by reviews in various media, but I am only guided, not persuaded.  I prefer the opinions (again, only opinions) of people actually using the items, such as those on forums such as this.

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

On 07/05/2019 at 8:47 AM, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Actually this is why the frequent calls for double blind testing happen.

Imagine the scene: two fanbois facing off against each other on a misty moor at dawn. Each turns to their seconds, who open a lined  leather-bound case. After a polite murmured, "After you", "No, after you", each fanboi carefully selects the dac of their choice.

They walk away from each other a certain number of paces to what each deems to be the best listening position. Both appear tense, running their hands over the controls, feeling the sharp edges and corners, contemplating the whiplash of the power cords and the dangers of electric shock promised by the labels "Caution! No user serviceable parts inside".

A voice calls: "Final chance. If any fanboi wishes to stop this matter now, speak up." But both men, so eloquent and garrulous in the past, now are tight-lipped.

All is still and silent on the moor.  The silence is inky black like a 24/96 recording transcribed directly from the half-speed master.

"So," the voice continues. "It is dacs at ten paces, gentlemen." Almost unconsciously, each man (for these are proud, stubborn men, you don't think a woman would be out here at the crack of dawn when a cuppa and a good bowl of muesli in bed will do), gently feels the weight and heft of their dac in their fingertips, like Australian cricketers contemplating sandpaper.

"There is but one thing remaining," the voice says. "Seconds, the blindfolds please." With care, each second ties a black cloth over the eyes of their combatant and checks the integrity of the other's blindfold. Satisfied, they nod and step back.

"You may now hurl your best shots. Good luck."

To the ordinary human being, hitting a target at ten paces while blindfolded can be rather challenging. But these are audiophiles, ears carefully curated and fine-tuned after years of listening. In an instant they can pick the difference between mp3 and flac. The shortcomings of CD versus LP redbook are child's play to discern. They know when a supertweeter is in use, and whether a speaker cable has fallen to the floor from it's dinky little plastic stand.

Each man pauses, listens, decides, and hurls.

Those sharp corners! Those knife-edged casings! The sheer weight of manufacturer-skimped electronic components! 

Of course, both men miss their targets completely.

Ego satisfied, they shake hands and go home.

It could have been a lot worse, were it not for the blindfolds. It's possible even that one or both may have struck a glancing blow!

This is why double blind testing is the best and safest method to resolve disputes among audiophiles.

Haha - brilliant, Murray!  :thumb:  :lol:

Andy

Am adding Devialet amps to the list. :D 

And there were 2 ML5's there for 22 hours. :D 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Am adding Devialet amps to the list. :D 

And there were 2 ML5's there for 22 hours. :D 

Nah mate sorry you are out by 50% the run on ML5's for sale was much worse than you thought, there were in fact four, two black and two white.  ... :angel:

Edited by TerryO

On 20/05/2019 at 5:22 PM, Darren69 said:

Maybe add Bluesound Node 2 to the list .

Why? I am looking to purchase one of theses. Still..

10 hours ago, crisis said:

Maybe everyone is buying the upgrade i ?

I reckon the original Node would be the best buy, would prolly do 98% of what the 2 does anyhow.

2 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

I reckon the original Node would be the best buy, would prolly do 98% of what the 2 does anyhow.

Apple music seems to be the main difference, so I went for the cheaper Node 2 rather than new release of 2i. As I mostly use Tidal. The node2 is very good. I put mine through my Luxman SACD DAC (there is a Digital in option). Sounds decent when I'm not playing vinyl

Be advised that this topic is under Moderator Watch and may be locked at any time if it does not stay on topic or respectful of others views.