Some “speaker scammers” (as mentioned by @DarkNark) even have a nice looking website with all their products and inflated prices on it, to give them some credence. No real addresses or concrete contact info though.

When I was an apprentice years ago, a couple of the other apprentices got scammed, one of them brought his speakers in to show me. I opened one up, and there was nothing quality about it, thin chipboard, the barest of crossovers to just stop the drivers burning out. They even had some nice adjustment knobs on the front to help it look fancy. I still remember the brand name, it was “Jelich Audiofile”.

I was accosted by the same guys at the shopping centre car park where they were peddling their wares, but fortunately was audio savvy enough at a young age to be suspicious.

The apparent (scam) “brand names” often sound similar to known, legitimate names, and often have phrases like “Reference”, “Studio” or “Monitor” as part of the description.

Sometimes they also come up at Cash Converters or on Gumtree, as people who have been scammed try to recoup their losses on some other unsuspecting person. Sometimes they are just a pair of speakers, other times a complete package with projector and electronics.

Buyer beware.

Edited by Sub Sonic
  • Like 1