Advice on speaker refresh

givita_burl

These are the ones, at $25USD a piece from TME.

https://www.tme.eu/en/details/kpcu01-0.47u_600/audio-polypropylene-capacitors/miflex/kpcu01h447j/

I could probably sell them to you for $50AUD plus whatever it costs in postage. They weigh 140g each so they're heavy for their capacitance, but not very heavy though postage would mostly be about protecting them rather than their weight.

IMG_20190323_180708.thumb.jpg.2fa3ac43213b1b98ad9e345c8f985681.jpg

You can see they're still brand new. I never even pulled the terminals away from their packaging position.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2019 at 9:13 AM, givita_burl said:

2nd question: is it sensible for ceramic resistors, coils and/or wire to be replaced?

When i enquired with the manufacturer of my 80's speakers about crossover reburbishment they recommended selected capacitors be updated and some ceramic resistors be changed to metal oxide types.  There certainly is a difference in the sound post update but I dont know how much was due to the resistor change.

Locked in the cap selection.

I had been considering which Jantzen to use for the tweeter when I came across a Claritycap CMR for a good price. So, going with a mix of Claritycap, Obbligato Gold and Miflex. Values selected to allow for bypassing on treble and mid, which means that at one position I will have 26.7uF not 27uF as current.

Finding components for an affordable refresh (and upgrade) has been interesting because I wanted to neither over-capitalise nor shortchange the speaker's capabilities; there is a wide range available without a practical way of comparing; and of course the prices of higher quality caps rise quickly for larger values. Also, at the end of the day, this is not for my primary system but an opportunity to experiment a little.

On 26/03/2019 at 12:16 PM, givita_burl said:

Locked in the cap selection.

I had been considering which Jantzen to use for the tweeter when I came across a Claritycap CMR for a good price. So, going with a mix of Claritycap, Obbligato Gold and Miflex. Values selected to allow for bypassing on treble and mid, which means that at one position I will have 26.7uF not 27uF as current.

Finding components for an affordable refresh (and upgrade) has been interesting because I wanted to neither over-capitalise nor shortchange the speaker's capabilities; there is a wide range available without a practical way of comparing; and of course the prices of higher quality caps rise quickly for larger values. Also, at the end of the day, this is not for my primary system but an opportunity to experiment a little.

All great cap selections for their price. Given the normal tolerances in caps, you won't be able to tell apart 26.7 from 27. Only the finest loudspeaker manufacturers measure every single driver and crossover component and match them with a very large collection of each at exorbitant cost.

Well, Claritycap CMR is on back order. Though, a couple of quality Miflex caps turned up in the mail (thanks!).

Given the delay, I haven't ordered the larger value Miflex, as I have an amp that blew some resistors and caps and I was thinking of combining an order. Hoping to have the amp looked at next week.

• 2 years later...

Last time I had a crossover built it only needed 1 cap on the 1st order tweeter. That made it cheap to get something nice, which was the ClarityCap MR.

In the years since things have changed, and Humblehifi's cap page is much longer than when I last looked at it back in 2014.

Jupiter and Miflex do pure copper foil caps. How would these compare to the MR?

28 minutes ago, agisthos said:

Jupiter and Miflex do pure copper foil caps. How would these compare to the MR?

Both are very good, but can't say in comparison to the MR as I have not heard it.

Copper foil caps have a natural organic sound signature to my ears, but they differ in some ways when comparing two like those you mention but the basic sound is similar and different from Aluminum or tin foil types.