In ear noise cancelling buds

Hi Guys,

So recently I purchased some Sony WF-1000X true wireless noise cancelling headphones.

https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/truly-wireless/wf-1000x

And let me tell you, 3 days in I have had nothing but an awful experience. Sound cutting in and out straight out of the box. Signal ping ponging between left and right.

Its such a shame because if not for the connectivity issues, these would be perfect (for my work commute)

Does anyone have any experience with these types of headphones? Or even better, a recommendation ?

Cheers

Stockholm

Edited by stockholm
Clarifying post

I like connecting my favourite earphones to a tiny bluetooth player like Fiio BTR1/BTR3 or Earstudio ES100. They have a better DAC than most bluetooth earphones/headphones and you can just use any fancy earphones/headphones which has a 3.5mm plug. Not exactly wireless but I would rather not having the bluetooth receivers in my ears. If your earphones/headphones have detachable cables, you can probably get shorter cables.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stump said:

Hi Stump, yeah i hoped the same thing but alas the firmware update did bugger all. Shame really. Product has such potential.

3 hours ago, gt1482 said:

I like connecting my favourite earphones to a tiny bluetooth player like Fiio BTR1/BTR3 or Earstudio ES100. They have a better DAC than most bluetooth earphones/headphones and you can just use any fancy earphones/headphones which has a 3.5mm plug. Not exactly wireless but I would rather not having the bluetooth receivers in my ears. If your earphones/headphones have detachable cables, you can probably get shorter cables.

Hi gt1482, thanks for responding. Unfortunately I want to go full wireless/cordless. Cheers

I've had the Bose Soundsport free for a few weeks now, awesome in ears! They have cut out a bit but not often enough to be a problem. They have very short Bluetooth range though. I got them because they don't insert all the way into your ear canal, which means they are comfortable to wear for longer. No noise cancelling though and you get wind noise which is annoying. Sound quality is pretty great I must say! 

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Jonny said:

I've had the Bose Soundsport free for a few weeks now, awesome in ears! They have cut out a bit but not often enough to be a problem. They have very short Bluetooth range though. I got them because they don't insert all the way into your ear canal, which means they are comfortable to wear for longer. No noise cancelling though and you get wind noise which is annoying. Sound quality is pretty great I must say! 

Yeah my colleagues at work are using these. I might give them a shot..

• Like 1

On 18/03/2019 at 7:06 PM, stockholm said:

Hi gt1482, thanks for responding. Unfortunately I want to go full wireless/cordless. Cheers

I looked into blue tooth for my shure SE 535 after your post and surprised they are available as a cable upgrade.I would expect the same issues you are experiencing .

http://www.shure.com/americas/bluetooth-earphones

1 minute ago, frankn said:

I have a pair of Jabra Elites, they are fantastic. Not active noise cancelling but the fit does cancel noise passively. Fit is nice is battery lasts long enough. I got these for 210 AUD from a dealer, they are generally available for much less price their MRP.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, frankn said:

Coincidentally, these are the ones I ended up buying. Elite active noise cancelling. They are excellent. No connection issues, sufficient sound and decent app. Makes you think how Sony could have released such a terrible product. Wasnt even ready for public release IMO

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Might also be worth checking out the Taotronics ANC Bluetooth earphones.  They are half the price, if not less, of most of the major ANC brands out there such as Sony, Jabra etc.  My wife bought them for <$100 a little while ago on Amazon because she wanted something to cut out the background noise she has at work.  I was expecting something terrible, akin to the really cheap earbuds you get packaged with phones.  I was very pleasantly surprised.  Bluetooth connectivity seems to work fine.  ANC is OK (not great).  Sound quality is a lot better than you would expect from a <$100 pair of buds (but of course not comparable to a really good pair of IEMs...but then you pay a lot more).  I've been considering getting a pair myself just to have on plane trips!  Anyway, I'm not selling them in anyway, just a left field idea to think about.  ?

To the OP, I've had the WF-1000XM3 for just on a month now and I have to say they are superb - for my usage.  Primarily commuting: walk to bus, bus to train, train to destination plus a bit of a walk thereafter.  

Mine are connected to a Pixel XL and I use the Sony Headphone app with the Sound Quality Mode set for a Priority on Stable Connection.  Dropouts have been rare and very brief EXCEPT one time I was stopped at a pedestrian crossing in the Sydney CBD  (I'm not originally from Sydney so I actually stop and wait at crossings when the lights are red, lol).  The dropout was dreadful and continuous until I moved on - clearly something interfering severely with the Bluetooth connection.

I enjoy the sound quality, best I've heard from earbuds including wired and considering the source (my own CDs ripped to MP3, at 330 kbps IIRC).  I also like Sony's Ambient Sound Control which automatically steps up the level of noise cancelling when seated or on public transport but reduces it when walking, so the noise cancelling is remarkably good for an in-ear audio system, and very convenient.  

Presumably this latest iteration (I'm told they went straight from X to XM3 to stay in line with the overear phone's numbering system) addresses drop out problems as mentioned.  They review very well and I'm very happy with them.  Battery life is astonishing for such a tiny device.

https://store.sony.com.au/headphones-noisecancelling/WF1000XM3B.html#start=1

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking for a pair of noise cancelling phones. Only problem with in ears is that you can't try before buy.  And also Sony costumer support is very bad these days. But your review here certainly makes me curious.

I totally get what you mean, Rup.  It was quite a roll of the dice for me as the WF-1000XM3 are really expensive, I'm retired now so don't tend to wantonly splash the cash as I once did.  They're my first pair of wireless earbuds, but I really had a need - I may be the world's leading expert in unintentionally tangling and knotting headphone leads and can spend 10 or 15 minutes of a commute sorting that out before actually enjoying any music meanwhile providing entertainment for other onlooking passengers.  Yes I've tried a variety of cable winding devices, none suit me.

So I had to rely very heavily on reviews I was reading online.  Always risky with audio as everyone's ears hear differently, to an extent.  I was lucky, perhaps; I'd give them a 9 out of 10 for my purposes.  They lose 1 because the Sony Headphone app, while it will keep you roughly updated on the level of charge in the earbuds and not especially well at that, tells you nothing about the remaining charge in the carry case.  C'mon Sony, how hard could it be?