Sign in to follow this  
Paul R

CD shopping in Tokyo

Spending time in Japan for first time ever. Soon.

Any suggestions for CD shopping in Tokyo?

Also any suggestions for audio window shopping? Might look at carts and cables?

Thanking all in advance.

Paul R

Will be watching for replies to this posting, as Japan is on my list to next visit.

Pics and comments on your trip Paul would be good, enjoy you lucky bugger 😁👍

43 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Spending time in Japan for first time ever. Soon.

Start here for some ideas: 

2 hours ago, Paul R said:

I went to an awesome music shop in Shibuya, 12yrs ago.   IIRC it was Tower records.    

Window shopped plenty of hifi equipment stores but can't recall any specific ones sorry.  

Disk Union in Shibuya! Don't go down to the basement, the jazz and rare groove dept! You have been warned, your wallet will be lighter! Awesome range!! I was there last Sept. I believe there's five or so Disk Unions in Tokyo alone.

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/the-worlds-best-record-shops-006-disk-union-shibuya-tokyo/

Recofan in Shibuya. Their definition of 'used' is better than our definition of 'new'. Staff are awesome.

Not sure if you listen to LPs - but Tokyo has some good LP stores with decent collections. My wife got me a couple of 'Greateful Dead' LPs from her trip to Japan a few years ago. 

Great country to visit - hope you are also going to Kyoto

Just note too that Japan has changed.

The days of gold streets packed with cheap, quality LP's and CD's spilling into open arms, are gone.

The Chinese middle class have come over and quite literally strip-mined Tokyo (especially) over the last few years (countless stories on the web of trolley loads being 'wheeled' back to China), so much that as of December last year when I visited, things looked very different indeed. That's not to say there isn't stuff to be had, but it just ain't necessarily Kansas anymore.

Have a great trip!   💪

7 hours ago, candyflip said:

Just note too that Japan has changed.

The days of gold streets packed with cheap, quality LP's and CD's spilling into open arms, are gone.

The Chinese middle class have come over and quite literally strip-mined Tokyo (especially) over the last few years (countless stories on the web of trolley loads being 'wheeled' back to China), so much that as of December last year when I visited, things looked very different indeed. That's not to say there isn't stuff to be had, but it just ain't necessarily Kansas anymore.

Have a great trip!   💪

I have noticed there is a lot of Australian bringing back stack loads of Japanese pressings as well and selling them in markets and vinyl fairs. 

1 minute ago, mrbrown66 said:

I have noticed there is a lot of Australian bringing back stack loads of Japanese pressings as well and selling them in markets and vinyl fairs. 

It's the quality and what they are paying for them.

Obviously there are millions of records still in Tokyo, just like there are in Australia.

If you want Bossanova, and 3rd tier rock and pop, you'll be in heaven in Japan.

If you can afford to pay usual retail prices for the stuff you actually want, then you'll do well too.

But my point is the days of paying $5 for Stones, Beatles, rare anything....are gone.

Japan retailers are more than wise to what they have, and now, everyone else in the world is too.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, manchu said:

I went to an awesome music shop in Shibuya, 12yrs ago.   IIRC it was Tower records.    

Window shopped plenty of hifi equipment stores but can't recall any specific ones sorry.  

Tower Records Tokyo. All 9 floors of it and quite a bit of info on the store from our good friends at discogs.

https://blog.discogs.com/en/digging-in-tokyo-tower-records/

images (56).jpeg

Edited by mrbuzzardstubble

I have a BIC discount card at BIC camera in Ikebukuro, Tokyo. They also have an extensive CD section one of the many floored stores they have... Apart from all the others listed. I go to Japan yearly mainly for camera and Karate related stuff but also for lp, cd, etc shopping... Enjoy, it's the bomb over there.

6 hours ago, att23 said:

There is this link I cannot remember where I got from... it’s a little dated now, but hopefully the shops have not closed down or reloacted yet. 

http://mostly-retro.com/2016/10/03/the-biggest-guide-to-tokyo-record-stores-on-the-internet/

He updates it regularly with closed stores removed. It is current as of last month.

Diskunion stores all over Tokyo. Shinjuku, Shimokitazwa, Shin-Ochanomizu area. 

Yamano music at Ginza. 

Dynamic Audio at Akihabara.

All superb stores. Enjoy!

Check out Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara and head to the hifi floor.  You'll be amazed at the amount of stock.