3 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

What I saw was the simple fact that it had the be mentioned. 

It was a reply to my post.

Forget it.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

NASA has plans to go back to the moon,  it will be to stay, but humans are now redundant, it will be unmanned.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/nasa-to-head-back-to-the-moon-with-plans-to-stay

“We are going to the Moon,” NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine told an industry conference in May 2018. “To do so sustainably, we are going to expand partnerships with industry, to deliver payloads to the surface of the Moon. Beginning with missions beyond low-Earth orbit, the United States will lead the return of humans to the Moon for long-term exploration and utilization.”

https://www.nasa.gov/specials/apollo50th/back.html

Always best to skip the news sites and go to the source :)

Edit: Looking at the sbs article now, it appears you may have skimmed it.

Think I'll give that movie 'First Man' a miss.

Edited by Muon N'

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Muon N' said:

“We are going to the Moon,” NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine told an industry conference in May 2018. “To do so sustainably, we are going to expand partnerships with industry, to deliver payloads to the surface of the Moon. Beginning with missions beyond low-Earth orbit, the United States will lead the return of humans to the Moon for long-term exploration and utilization.”

https://www.nasa.gov/specials/apollo50th/back.html

Always best to skip the news sites and go to the source :)

Edit: Looking at the sbs article now, it appears you may have skimmed it.

Jim Bridenstine, NASA's administrator, said that the agency plans to speed up plans backed by President Donald Trump to return to the Moon using private companies.

"It's important that we get back to the Moon as fast as possible," said Bridenstine in a meeting at NASA's Washington headquarters, adding he hoped to have astronauts back there by 2028.

Noticed the word “hoped”  And “use of private companies “.    As much as I like to see it happen,  however the only way I see this happen is for either military, mining or tourist attraction where the rich pay big to get there.     Even for military it’s too much of a risk to send humans in the 1st place,  the future of military is unmanned devices....  

However just remember this thread is not about future moon travels or gender equality, it’s about the film and the film is about Neil, his family and his colleagues

8 hours ago, Muon N' said:

It’s a shame....

The movie is about Neil Armstrong as an ordinary man,  balancing family and work...

Its like one one poster have said, it’s a documentary and the directors have done an outstanding job to place the audience in the vehicles he was testing and at the same time being human and a family man,  it also places the audience at face value on the risks that was involved and how anything can go wrong!  And when it went wrong it did!   It also show the courage and determination of these guys willing to get the job done and in most cases they go into the unknown!!! it’s all in the history book and the film portrays that extremely well.  Again it’s all about Neil, his family and his colleagues.

Edited by Addicted to music

Posted (edited)

@Addicted to music It's a choice :lol:

Edit: watched the whole thing as it happened in 1969, so meh..on the doco.

Edited by Muon N'

Why I never take movies critics seriously 

Richard Brody, also of The New Yorker, said First Man would appeal to right-wing proponents as "a film of deluded, cultish longing for an earlier era of American life, one defined not by conservative politics but, rather, by a narrow and regressive emotional perspective that shapes and distorts the substance of the film.

i mean seriously what a crock of **** 

I enjoyed the film, but I can't say that it had the same feel to me as the book by Hansen. Although, given the intervening years...maybe it's my memory of the book that's flawed. 🙂 I don't know, I guess Armstrong's "focus"  or "determination" in the movie seems almost... somewhat socially awkward to the point of being on the Autistic spectrum, rather than a grieving father trying to hold it together. Maybe I'm alone in this interpretation.

7 hours ago, harmo_hammer said:

Maybe I'm alone in this interpretation.

I watched this for the first time last night and have to say that's the way it came across for me too....

However Ryan Gosling came across the same way in Bladerunner 2049 so maybe it's just him! :ermm:

On 24/03/2019 at 1:34 PM, cafe67 said:

Why I never take movies critics seriously 

Richard Brody, also of The New Yorker, said First Man would appeal to right-wing proponents as "a film of deluded, cultish longing for an earlier era of American life, one defined not by conservative politics but, rather, by a narrow and regressive emotional perspective that shapes and distorts the substance of the film.

i mean seriously what a crock of **** 

I totally agree with you Cafe .... some movie critics just do not represent mainstream views.  It is THEY that are DELUDED.

7 hours ago, MrC said:

I totally agree with you Cafe .... some movie critics just do not represent mainstream views.  It is THEY that are DELUDED.

It’s not up to reviewers - of film, books or anything else -  to represent ‘mainstream’ views. That is not their job.

2 hours ago, buddyev said:

It’s not up to reviewers - of film, books or anything else -  to represent ‘mainstream’ views. That is not their job.

Oh oh....I hear the brownshirts grinding their axes......

On 07/04/2019 at 2:58 PM, buddyev said:

Righto then ... we can just ignore them then!

10 minutes ago, MrC said:

Righto then ... we can just ignore them then!

Yep, you can ignore everyone who isn’t mainstream.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Now I know why The Mekons and The New York Dolls And almost every record I own are so unpopular 

They arn’t mainstream but sure as hell get great reviews

Am I not mainstream 

Must be all those reviews I read😀

Edited by keyse1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, buddyev said:

See new post 

Edited by cafe67

50 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Tbh, I found the movie to be very matter of fact, almost documentary like, so I'm just struggling to see how that reviewer got that feeling in his review, I know there was a grumble by some including trump, that the movie didn't show the flag planting ?  

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Opposed to pandering to minorities ? 

24 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

Now I know why The Mekons and The New York Dolls And almost every record I own are so unpopular 

They arn’t mainstream but sure as hell get great reviews

Am I not mainstream 

Must be all those reviews I read😀

It was an ironic reply to a previous post about DELUDED critics. (Caps not mine) 

I like intelligent writing on books, film, music etc.  Thoughtful, informed, considered reviews can add a lot to your experience of art.

i haven’t seen this one yet.

Edited by buddyev