A movie about the life of Neil Armstrong.  Didn’t know he had a daughter who passed away due to cancer; must be devastating.....

Telling your kids that the mission has the risk that you may never come back,   A supporting wife who knew to well of the reality of the mission.  

Superb movie!

• Like 2

The first few minutes were a blur, no doubt intended to induce motion sickness to prove a point. My wife stepped out it was so intense.

The picture and sound really opened up towards the end especially in that clip from @michaelw.

Fine flick indeed. I WonderI if he actually did leave his daughters bracelet up there (it’s never been confirmed)

Edited by Sime V2

We watched this today on the new 4K PJ.

Loved the film, though I found the presentation a mixed bag. There were some very long, dark and music-less scenes which seemed to jar slightly with the brighter sections involving the mission and flight etc. I am sure that this was intentional to display Armstrong's emotional gravity and isolation.

The opening sequence was so intense. All I could do was gape and grip the armrests.

The rudimentary tech vibe was brilliantly created. The creaking and rattling of the Gemini 8 was scary. The guts of these people was unreal. That was the key impact for me.

When we watch our ISS HD pics with all the fun (somersaulting in zero gravity etc) and super hi-tech equipment, it almost seems trivial in comparison with the early NASA stuff.

This will be something to re-watch in a couple of years for me. It may even make more impact when knowing what to expect.

Great film that resonated with me. Remember having the TV wheeled in to the Grade 5 classroom (such a treat), to see the broadcast.

Guest Muon N'

Must try and watch this, as a young lad I watched and followed all the Apollo missions from 8 onwards back in the day including the landing of course.

Cool that NASA are going back, and maybe we will see the first woman on the Moon too, how cool would that be.

5 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

first woman on the Moon too, how cool would that be.

Only people who should be going there are people who are trained and are able to do what’s needed, being a man or a woman. 

Putting a woman on the moon because of gender politics is nonsensical. 

Guest Muon N'
17 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

Only people who should be going there are people who are trained and are able to do what’s needed, being a man or a woman. 

Putting a woman on the moon because of gender politics is nonsensical. 

That's where your thoughts went, not mine, Simon ;)

There are woman astronauts too.

Check out the doco Mercury 13, they were and are at the very lest as capable as men in this endeavour.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/80174436?trackId=13752289&tctx=0%2C0%2Ce02515ac95859949f28c99a575eaa8f53a6d0086%3Ae2a3c52e61031fe4d6273128e6c77ac72bd5030c%2C%2C

With women now in this field and excepted without discrimination, we see plenty of women on the ISS, flying advanced jet fighters in the military..even in combat, and there is no sane reason why they can't go to the moon with the revamped interest.

Edited by Muon N'

6 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

they were and are at the very lest as capable as men in this endeavour

Never said they weren’t. 

Guest Muon N'
1 minute ago, Sime V2 said:

Never said they weren’t. 

So you assumed an agenda or meaning on the part of my post that was incorrect.

Guest Muon N'
3 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

What I saw was the simple fact that it had the be mentioned. 

It was a reply to my post.

Forget it.

Guest Muon N'
2 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

NASA has plans to go back to the moon,  it will be to stay, but humans are now redundant, it will be unmanned.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/nasa-to-head-back-to-the-moon-with-plans-to-stay

“We are going to the Moon,” NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine told an industry conference in May 2018. “To do so sustainably, we are going to expand partnerships with industry, to deliver payloads to the surface of the Moon. Beginning with missions beyond low-Earth orbit, the United States will lead the return of humans to the Moon for long-term exploration and utilization.”

https://www.nasa.gov/specials/apollo50th/back.html

Always best to skip the news sites and go to the source :)

Edit: Looking at the sbs article now, it appears you may have skimmed it.

Think I'll give that movie 'First Man' a miss.

Edited by Muon N'

8 hours ago, Muon N' said:

“We are going to the Moon,” NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine told an industry conference in May 2018. “To do so sustainably, we are going to expand partnerships with industry, to deliver payloads to the surface of the Moon. Beginning with missions beyond low-Earth orbit, the United States will lead the return of humans to the Moon for long-term exploration and utilization.”

https://www.nasa.gov/specials/apollo50th/back.html

Always best to skip the news sites and go to the source :)

Edit: Looking at the sbs article now, it appears you may have skimmed it.

Jim Bridenstine, NASA's administrator, said that the agency plans to speed up plans backed by President Donald Trump to return to the Moon using private companies.

"It's important that we get back to the Moon as fast as possible," said Bridenstine in a meeting at NASA's Washington headquarters, adding he hoped to have astronauts back there by 2028.

Noticed the word “hoped”  And “use of private companies “.    As much as I like to see it happen,  however the only way I see this happen is for either military, mining or tourist attraction where the rich pay big to get there.     Even for military it’s too much of a risk to send humans in the 1st place,  the future of military is unmanned devices....  

However just remember this thread is not about future moon travels or gender equality, it’s about the film and the film is about Neil, his family and his colleagues

8 hours ago, Muon N' said:

It’s a shame....

The movie is about Neil Armstrong as an ordinary man,  balancing family and work...

Its like one one poster have said, it’s a documentary and the directors have done an outstanding job to place the audience in the vehicles he was testing and at the same time being human and a family man,  it also places the audience at face value on the risks that was involved and how anything can go wrong!  And when it went wrong it did!   It also show the courage and determination of these guys willing to get the job done and in most cases they go into the unknown!!! it’s all in the history book and the film portrays that extremely well.  Again it’s all about Neil, his family and his colleagues.

Edited by Addicted to music

Why I never take movies critics seriously 

Richard Brody, also of The New Yorker, said First Man would appeal to right-wing proponents as "a film of deluded, cultish longing for an earlier era of American life, one defined not by conservative politics but, rather, by a narrow and regressive emotional perspective that shapes and distorts the substance of the film.

i mean seriously what a crock of **** 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the film, but I can't say that it had the same feel to me as the book by Hansen. Although, given the intervening years...maybe it's my memory of the book that's flawed. ? I don't know, I guess Armstrong's "focus"  or "determination" in the movie seems almost... somewhat socially awkward to the point of being on the Autistic spectrum, rather than a grieving father trying to hold it together. Maybe I'm alone in this interpretation.

7 hours ago, harmo_hammer said:

Maybe I'm alone in this interpretation.

I watched this for the first time last night and have to say that's the way it came across for me too....

However Ryan Gosling came across the same way in Bladerunner 2049 so maybe it's just him! :ermm:

On 24/03/2019 at 1:34 PM, cafe67 said:

Why I never take movies critics seriously 

Richard Brody, also of The New Yorker, said First Man would appeal to right-wing proponents as "a film of deluded, cultish longing for an earlier era of American life, one defined not by conservative politics but, rather, by a narrow and regressive emotional perspective that shapes and distorts the substance of the film.

i mean seriously what a crock of **** 

I totally agree with you Cafe .... some movie critics just do not represent mainstream views.  It is THEY that are DELUDED.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MrC said:

I totally agree with you Cafe .... some movie critics just do not represent mainstream views.  It is THEY that are DELUDED.

It’s not up to reviewers - of film, books or anything else -  to represent ‘mainstream’ views. That is not their job.

• Like 3