Sign in to follow this  
Kaynin

Free Solo (2018)

In the same theme of this thread -

there's a new climbing doco, "Free Solo".  Double wow this time.  It's gripping (lol!)...

It covers Alex Honnold's attempt to be the first climber to scale El Capitan free solo - crazy!  Just amazing and awe inspiring.  I watched it last night and have to say, well worth the time spent.  It's in cinemas at the moment - I had moments of adrenaline just sitting in my seat!  The camera work is incredible, it shows just how ridiculously small the holds are just to stay on the cliff face.

it might be a long time before another human being can train mind and body way past it's normal limits to do what he did.

I have not seen the doco yet but  read a lot about him.

I just cannot get my head around of what he has achieved.

@Ihearmusic  yeah, spot on, one of the great human achievements.

As you say, train the mind and body.  The film depicts the introduction of his girlfriend, and the effect that has on his mind.

1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

@Ihearmusic  yeah, spot on, one of the great human achievements.

As you say, train the mind and body.  The film depicts the introduction of his girlfriend, and the effect that has on his mind. 

I really thought she was going to bring him undone.

He is a very different person, obviously can shut down any emotion.

The climb of El Capitan he did was the craziest thing l've ever seen a human do, next level.

1 hour ago, lusk said:

I really thought she was going to bring him undone.

He is a very different person, obviously can shut down any emotion.

The climb of El Capitan he did was the craziest thing l've ever seen a human do, next level.

Yeah, girls do that!  Lol.  Interestingly, other people around him saw the same thing.

He’s clearly different, the MRI indicated that.  Plus the minimalist lifestyle to concentrate on his climbing, he’s a freak!  

I agree, one of the most amazing sporting achievements of all time.

Posted (edited)

We watched this today on the fetch tv.The Mrs was a bit reluctant,boy was she on the edge of the couch.He’s a strange cat,if I was him I would’ve said to the girlfriend "here’s my credit card go shopping and I’ll see you after the climb”as it looked like she was going kill him 😱It looked amazing,when this comes out in 4K I’m definitely buying it.So what is his next challenge?

Edited by wasdork
Spelling

Strange cat precisely, but that's what it took to conquer El Cap!  Such brilliant cinematography, 4K would be incredible.  This doco won an Oscar this year -

Capture.thumb.JPG.cf38e3230eab9391f58cb511cb9d7003.JPG