Sign in to follow this  
allthumbs

New Onkyo's

Just saw the announcement on Stereonet concerning the release of two new Onkyo models, budget price, very keenly priced and I wouldn't be surprised if they are really excellent.

But then I read according to their release:

" Onkyo says its "sound designers tuned the amplifiers to achieve a warm, rich, and full tonal character, made possible with a blend of custom-fabricated and hand-selected high-quality parts. These bass-rich amplifiers are very smooth and unfatiguing to enjoy for long periods of time."

Does this mean you should have shrill, lean, sparse and bass shy speakers and the amplifiers will sort that out for you, even the score so to speak. Or if you have neutral speakers they will suddenly become lush, warm and muddy?

I want to know but after my experience with the 9070 I'm also just a little afraid to find out.

40 minutes ago, Cafad said:

I want to know but after my experience with the 9070 I'm also just a little afraid to find out.

I've a recent (relatively) model TX-8150 Cafad. I know its got more features than the 9070, but I'm not sure if its core architecture is sufficiently different to be vastly different sound wise. I'm in the neighborhood , if you want to find out but I'd probably need a loaner, and I might not want to swap back.... ;)

1 hour ago, wasabijim said:

I've a recent (relatively) model TX-8150 Cafad. I know its got more features than the 9070, but I'm not sure if its core architecture is sufficiently different to be vastly different sound wise. I'm in the neighborhood , if you want to find out but I'd probably need a loaner, and I might not want to swap back.... ;)

Now there's a thought.  Let me do a little "due diligence googling" and I'll get back to you.  And a loaner amp will not be a problem, not at all.  (I'll supply a list for your approval prior to pick up)

53 minutes ago, Cafad said:

Now there's a thought.  Let me do a little "due diligence googling" and I'll get back to you.  And a loaner amp will not be a problem, not at all.  (I'll supply a list for your approval prior to pick up)

Hmmmm. It was a messy divorce form Ms Onkyo before. Perhaps her sister may be more copacetic.😯

17 minutes ago, rantan said:

Hmmmm. It was a messy divorce form Ms Onkyo before. Perhaps her sister may be more copacetic.😯

If I don't have to spend $1100-odd simoleans on her in the first place then I'll be much happier if things don't turn out well in the sonic department (I really am hoping that things have improved).  As wasabijim said above, this is definitely a win-win situation.