twofires

Can speaker sensitivity be too high for a given amp/system?

2 hours ago, allthumbs said:

Guttenberg and measurements? You gotta be kidding.

The sarcasm didn't come through clearly enough.

12 minutes ago, A9X said:

The sarcasm didn't come through clearly enough.

Mine or yours? Nah I got it. 

It's interesting in this most subjective of hobbies how we all cling to some kind of "fact". I wasn't offering Guttenberg as proof, just that he initially made a statement of quoting 90db and then apologized and amended it to 95db, which gives you an idea as to his adherence to the facts.

I kinda like the Harbeth approach whereby speaker sensitivity doesn't play such a major role these days in speaker design according to them because "watts are cheap".

Guttenberg (and I don't follow him at all), I think is an enthusiast more than an expert, a propagandist more than a prosletyser  although he is very inarticulate which he makes up for with his enthusiasm for self marketing.

But where does that leave us if you can't believe the manufacturers, or the advertisers or the critics (I mean reviewers)?

18 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

It's interesting in this most subjective of hobbies how we all cling to some kind of "fact". I wasn't offering Guttenberg as proof, just that he initially made a statement of quoting 90db and then apologized and amended it to 95db, which gives you an idea as to his adherence to the facts.

He probably just misread the brochure, then correct, as that's about as close as he ever gets to facts.

19 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

I kinda like the Harbeth approach whereby speaker sensitivity doesn't play such a major role these days in speaker design according to them because "watts are cheap".

There comes power compression. I'm a self admitted and long term HE speaker fanboy and have yet to hear a low efficiency unit that didn't sound constipated (please excuse the descriptive prose).

Guttenberg (and I don't follow him at all), I think is an enthusiast more than an expert, a propagandist more than a prosletyser  although he is very inarticulate which he makes up for with his enthusiasm for self marketing.

Very good synopsis. I'd use a single word that ends in nker.

But where does that leave us if you can't believe the manufacturers, or the advertisers or the critics (I mean reviewers)?

In a much better place. In audio reviews and (generally) specs, I've never read so much BS outside Homoeopathy journals. Or Cryptozoology. Or Astrology.