SpotOn

Stereo Amp recommendation for Focal 807v Bookshelf

Hello to all the experts here..

As titled I need a recommendation for a 2 channel amp for the Focal 807 speakers that I recently picked up from a fellow SNA member.

At the moment they are a part of 5.1 channel system hooked up to a Denon x4000 AVR. 

I think sound is a bit harsh and underwhelming for 2 channel music listening. I have tried pretty much all options in the AVR e.g recalibrating Audyssey or turning it off or going in Direct mode etc but I think these speakers can do a lot better.

I am really confused with these separate amps business. I have tried google but still have some questions...

1. My AVR has pre outs for speakers. Do I need a power amp or an integrated amp? Pros and cons of each?

2. What happens to the subwoofer when 2 channel listening? 

3. Any recommendations for an amp which would suit these speakers? I am happy to wait for something used to come up for sale. Budget would ideally be around $500-$700 for a used one but Can be stretched a bit more. 

Regards

Sunny

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, SpotOn said:

As titled I need a recommendation for a 2 channel amp for the Focal 807 speakers

Look at this impedance v phase graph, these as all Focals are not the easiest to drive because they go to 4ohms in the bass (power region) and they have quite a bit of - phase shift there as well.  Especially at the 125hz region where it's the worst, it "could" represent an EPDR load to the amp of closer to 2ohms, 

You need an amp that is very comfortable seeing say 3-4ohms, if you want the very best out of them.

1107Focfig1.jpg  

Edited by georgehifi

Thanks George

I am not that technical in this field. But I sort of get your point. 

Hopefully someone can chime in who has similar speakers and can recommend something in the budget. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SpotOn said:

Hopefully someone can chime in who has similar speakers and can recommend something in the budget. 

This would drive them really well, if he still has it make him an offer he can't refuse.

giphy.gif

Edited by georgehifi

1 hour ago, SpotOn said:

How about something like this.

Look for something that 's >60watts into 8ohms,  and the 4ohm wattage to "try" to double to 120watts, or at least 100watts.

This would have been nice, but I think it's sold Check. 

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/264032-sold-fs-marantz-esotec-pm-4/

One of these Vidars would be great, but you'll need a Saga preamp as well.

https://www.schiit.com/products/vidar

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

9 hours ago, TravellingTT said:

Theres a NAD integrated in the classifieds for around your budget. Seems to get good reviews from users.

Two of them actually, one 355 and one 375.  

Going by the budget stated above it would be very hard to do better than one of those NADs. 

A 900 series Rotel would also be a decent option but you'd want one of the bigger 900s, I don't think a little 920 would work well with those focals.  You may be able to find a second hand Cambridge 840A or 850A but I can't see any on offer at the moment.  

I'm not so familiar with power amps so I'll leave others to recommend those.

Thanks for the recommendation guys. Have gone for the NAD 355. 

Hopefully there will be some noticeable improvement...

Cheers.