4” full range speakers and IKEA bowls

Steever

Some time ago I came to own a pair of Audible Physics RG100/6 full/wide range drivers.

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

These are the 4” 6 Ohm version and will comfortably and very ably play from about 150Hz to 20kHz.

I’ve been spending a little time building enclosures for these. I very much like what spherical enclosures do. I’ve been using various AP 3” drivers in small sphere enclosures in my car and have been very happy with the results.

IMG_0081.jpg

Anyway, I digress.

I purchased 4 bamboo bowls from IKEA and have been working on getting them to make quality ported enclosures.

This is where I am at as far as progress this afternoon;

IMG_0706.jpg

They have a 36mm circular ply spine at the join and constrained layer damping treatment. The internal volume is now about 3-4L courtesy of expanding foam spray. The port is 32x170mm for some boost around c70Hz.

I’ve ordered some spikes for them to sit on a table stand for now but I’d like to put them onto dedicated stands eventually.

I’ve also got some brass hardware and flared ports;

IMG_0694.jpg

And I’ll be using Nordost speaker cables - 2Flat (white) inside the speakers and Flatline4 Gold (copper) for amp to speakers.

IMG_0702.jpg

I’d wanted a small tube integrated to power these but I’m very much liking the Cyrus amps I have in my main system so I may keep an eye out for a Cyrus amp/DAC instead on the used market.

• Like 18

Seen the Ikea bowl idea a few times. Wouldn't mind having a go at it one day.

Love the pillar speakers, how did you make those ones?

The ones in my car were CNC machined in Germany to my drawings. They were AU$450 which is pricey but, they were going to cost me more to have done locally.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Almost finished.

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

The K-mart table lamp wood frame stands need painting and I’m going to remove and fill the spike holes in the enclosures. The wood frame stands are much more stable.

My BFA plugs also arrived the other day so one evening this week will be spent stripping insulation from the ends of my Nordost Flatline4 Gold (tedious).

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

On 09/04/2019 at 7:52 AM, Nada said:

Nice work.  How did you join the two bowls?

Cheers. With a 36mm ply spine around the inner circumference - screws and glue.

On 11/04/2019 at 5:22 PM, audiofeline said:

I love the wood stands, and like the contrast against the painted spheres. 

The speaker look futuristic - how do they sound?

Thanks. I have a feeling they may end up black for an even greater contrast with the spheres.

I have yet to dress my cables and pull one of my Cyrus amps out of the main system to test them out. Other more pressing priorities this week sadly.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 08/04/2019 at 10:42 PM, Steever said:

Quasi finito.

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

I supporti di legno della lampada da tavolo K-mart hanno bisogno di essere verniciati e io ho intenzione di rimuovere e riempire i fori spike nei recinti. I supporti di legno sono molto più stabili.

Anche le mie tappe BFA sono arrivate l'altro giorno, quindi una sera di questa settimana sarà trascorsa toglierla isolamento dalle estremità del mio Nordost Flatline4 Gold (tedious).

Hi Steever, congratulations it's very nice. May I know what finish and paint did you use? I really like this shade of green, as a finish I assume you used a fine-grained sandblasted effect. Thank you 

• 1 month later...
On 14/11/2023 at 6:33 PM, EmiParaca said:

Hi Steever, congratulations it's very nice. May I know what finish and paint did you use? I really like this shade of green, as a finish I assume you used a fine-grained sandblasted effect. Thank you 

Sorry for the late reply. 
I used a spatter paint in a spray can. It was grey. I then used a beige colour over the top for the colour I like.