Gapless playback of dsf files?

Hi Guys (and Gals),

Does anyone know of a media player program that will playback .DSF (DSD) files gaplessly?  Preferably over a network if possible.  The alternative is an extraction program that will do the same for SACD and / or DVD-A.

I have a few titles which playback without a gap from the SACD but not from the extracted .dsf files from extracted from SACDs or from digital download titles.  Same with DVD-Audio.

Likewise any suggestions of something similar for hi-res WAV files??

Thanks guys.  I'm sure someone has already found the solution to this.

Cheers,

Alan R. 

Just now, Snoopy8 said:

Is this for Windows or iOS, free or paid apps? And please clarify what you mean over network, with more info on sources and players

Hi Snoopy,

PC Windows OS, Win 7 or Win 10

Could be controlled from Android app supported by Android 9.0 (Pie) but not essential.

Over LAN.  Files are stored on my NAS.  Wired ethernet connected back to the router.  Router has the usual 10/100/1000 LAN ports, Wi-Fi 2.4GHz 802.11 b/g/n as well as 5GHz ac capability.

Doesn't matter if the app or program is free, paid outright or subscription.

Just looking for something that actually works for gapless playback of .DSF and hi-res .WAV files.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Alan R.

Foobar2000 with DSDIFF Decoder and UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Server, Control Point

https://www.foobar2000.org/download

https://www.foobar2000.org/components

Foobar Features:

Supported audio formats: MP3, MP4, AAC, CD Audio, WMA, Vorbis, Opus, FLAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, Musepack, Speex, AU, SND... and more with additional components.

Gapless playback.

Easily customizable user interface layout.

Advanced tagging capabilities.

Support for ripping Audio CDs as well as transcoding all supported audio formats using the Converter component.

Full ReplayGain support.

Customizable keyboard shortcuts.

Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player.

Edited by aasza
  • Like 3

Yes - jriver does exactly that.  I have a QNAP nas with my audio on that. Have jriver installed on multiple machines (win 10 and Mac) and they all playback the variety of formats (ie dsf, iso, flac etc) gap less into my various amps.  I am using a win 10 box plugged into a NAD d7050 and then into paradigm bookshelves in one location (nad is connected by cable to the nas), and nas directly into a Denon dac then plugged into my nad avr in another location.  I also dlna into the nad d7050 via network cable as well and control that via my iPad (when I don’t want to turn the win 10 box on).

all works very good.  I don’t use wifi though. 

• Like 1

I use Audirvana on a Mac to play digital files, including dsf format without problems. It's recently been released for Windows 10 and may be an option.

I know more recent development of Audirvana has focused on working well with networked storage of music files.

I can't offer any personal experience of it on Windows, but you can download and test a fully working version as a trial.

Regards, David.

• Like 1

most of today's playback software (if capable of playing dsf files) will play it gapless the only exception is multiformat playback i.e. dsf after pcm and back where DAC needs to lock to different format first so you can play gapless pcm after pcm (be it flac, wav or whatever) but it won't play gapless if you have pcm after dsf in your play list, as @Snoopy8  mentioned this is typical DAC limitation and I haven't seen (yet) DAC capable of playing gapless different formats

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

This is a vexatious issue and I have found the solution is always at the dac end. The less sorted dacs just don’t want to play hirez DSD or DSF material? I use JRiver in DSD native mode and some dacs just do it right, for example, the Spring Audio Holo r2r dac @$3K plays all the formats well as does the humble Topping devices. Currently using the little Topping D10 which switches faultlessly between 44.1/16 bit right up to SACD 2.82MHz quality and even DSD256 without any trouble. The Topping unit sounds pretty good too up to 95% sound quality of the more expensive dacs, if missing a little bit of liquidity and soundstage dimension. However, all is forgiven when you consider the Topping is only $120 landed.

Btw, the USB bridge duties of the Topping D10 performs very well (close to the sound of the Singxer SU-1 @ $500 that I have got). The Topping has the same high quality Xmos U208 USB receiver chip as the Singxer, but missing the more expensive Crystek clock found in the Singxer.

Steve

Edited by Steve M

On 15/03/2019 at 5:45 PM, kukynas said:

I haven't seen (yet) DAC capable of playing gapless different formats

Gieseler Gross can do gapless with both PCM and DSF (DSD) E.g. Pink Flyod DSOTM using SMS-200 Ultra MPD player.

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Upnp isn't the problem, likey issue at the DAC end. 

Yes, everything else plays gapless just fine over UPnP. I think it's the software, or the amount of buffering or processing that's involved. I might actually search the Audirvana forum, that question must have come up. DSD playback is also limiting other functions, like fast forward/reverse.

Edited by Steffen

3 minutes ago, Steffen said:

Yes, everything else plays gapless just fine over UPnP. I think it's the software, or the amount of buffering or processing that's involved. I might actually search the Audirvana forum, that question must have come up. DSD playback is also limiting other functions, like fast forward/reverse.

I don't do anything else on my mac mini but play music, so also able to allocate a fairly large amount of memory for track pre-load (4GB) which maybe helps, but also using attached storage for music files, rather than network stored.

9 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Gieseler Gross can do gapless with both PCM and DSF (DSD) E.g. Pink Flyod DSOTM using SMS-200 Ultra MPD player.

Are you sure it can play gapless from pcm track straigh to dsd track? There is of course no issue playing gapless any of the formats if you stay with that format but once you start mixing them in the playlist that’s the point when Dac chip needs to lock to different format and that’s usually happening with small pause

8 hours ago, Steffen said:

DSD playback is also limiting other functions, like fast forward/reverse.

No problem with Jriver

42 minutes ago, kukynas said:

Are you sure it can play gapless from pcm track straigh to dsd track? There is of course no issue playing gapless any of the formats if you stay with that format but once you start mixing them in the playlist that’s the point when Dac chip needs to lock to different format and that’s usually happening with small pause

Now that you have clarified your comment, the answer is no, it cannot have mixed DSD and PCM in playlist and play gapless.