Yamaha R-N803 network player

Anyone own or had experience using this network player/amp? Does it sound good?

I'm thinking of getting a Rega amp and Yamaha WXC-50 to stream through but cant decide if I should keep it simple and get the 803 instead!

I have a Marantz amp and a wxc-50.

wxc-50 is alright, but does not support the latest MQA.

803 might be the way to go and keep it simple , all in one solution.

have you looked at NAD c368 or c388 with the BluOS 2i module ?.

• Like 1

Wxc 50 is excellent and very simple to use if the MQA support isnt any issue.
I rarely buy new, but i did get the WXC-50 and rega brio new and are great together.
Personally i can't imagine a world where i would recommend a NAD over the Rega. Those particular NAD amps are unreliable and not so good.

• Like 2

+1 for the Yamaha, loving mine, I had been using both SB touch and Pi with a DAC hat, Now I use the WXC 50 coax out to 'The Battery DAC' and am liking it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ozflyer said:

I have a Marantz amp and a wxc-50.

wxc-50 is alright, but does not support the latest MQA.

803 might be the way to go and keep it simple , all in one solution.

have you looked at NAD c368 or c388 with the BluOS 2i module ?.

Thanks. Yes I looked at NAD but the wifi module puts the price equal or beyond the Rega combo. I have an old unused NAD 705 receiver but was never impressed with it.

Edited by Rockymc

6 hours ago, Batty said:

+1 for the Yamaha, loving mine, I had been using both SB touch and Pi with a DAC hat, Now I use the WXC 50 coax out to 'The Battery DAC' and am liking it.

So the WXC-50 is used only as a transport ? so is the DAC on the WXC-50 not that good ?.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies to the OP for hijacking this thread

@Snapper()

@Batty

@Ozflyer

@P_J

Can you share your experience with the Yamaha WXC-50, especially, with respect to the user interface (Yamaha multicast), ease of use, browsing music etc. Did any of you get a chance to compare this with other streamers like Bluesound node 2/2i, Denon Heos link, especially while using an external DAC? I'm looking to buy a streamer to use as a digital transport (connecting to an outboard DAC) through SPIDF. I've been recommended the Bluesound node, but that costs about twice the Yamaha. Since my DAC is external, I am hesitant to spend more money on the streamer unless there is an improvement as a digital transport. 

Thanks

The interface takes a bit of getting used to but as it is graphical in the most part doesn't take that long, I was using a Squeezebox Touch previously.

I used my external DAC on both the touch and the Yamaha, same cables too. I find the yamaha to be better than the Touch. The Yammy can be used as a pre amp too just by operating a switch on the back.

The PC webpage interface once accessed is very easy to use.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Batty said:

The interface takes a bit of getting used to but as it is graphical in the most part doesn't take that long, I was using a Squeezebox Touch previously.

I used my external DAC on both the touch and the Yamaha, same cables too. I find the yamaha to be better than the Touch. The Yammy can be used as a pre amp too just by operating a switch on the back.

The PC webpage interface once accessed is very easy to use.

Appreciate the feedback. I read that the Yamaha does not allow album search for USB plugged in music or NAS. Is this true if you have used USB/NAS?

Ok I ended up with the WXC-50 and Rega Elex combo. TBO the sound is good but not great and I'm a little underwelmed considering the price. I dont have a comparison point but streaming Spotify the mids and top are a touch harsh. Not sure if this is the Yamaha or something else.

I've connected the amplifier from the WXC-50 Pre Amp Out to the Rega Line In. I assume thats the right way?

I've also switched off Pre Amp to 'Player' on the WXC as the remote is a shocker!

Edited by Rockymc

Hi, 

can you tell us a little bit more about your setup? speakers, position, room acoustics (floor, windows ...), cables, the music that sounds harsh (artist) ? Is it spotify premium? 

Yes Spotify premium. Speakers are MA Gold 50. Chord Clearway speaker cable and Chord RCA cable. Large window with blinds and woodfloor but this was not an issue for my av receiver.

• 7 months later...

Hope it's ok to resurrect an old thread. Just wanted to share my recent experiences with the Yamaha R-N803.

Like many others, my music sources are pretty much digital. My setup consists of:

• Yamaha WXA-50 - was an opportunistic second hand pick up. Used soley as a network streamer and connected via line out to...
  • Yamaha DSP-A1 - a dinosaur of an AV amp on long term loan from the brother-in-law! I haven't heard much else, but I think it still works very well in 2 channel duties!
  • Tannoy Revolution DC6's 

Initially had an onkyo cr-n755 powering the Tannoy's. I have to say, the swap over to the WXA-50 and DSP-A1 absolutely transformed the sound of the DC6's and brought them to life. It's now sent me down the rabbit hole of chasing the next upgrade!

Anyways, a chance came up to snag an R-N803 at a decent price. It has pretty favourable reviews and decent specs. Similar power rating to the DSP-A1.  It also appealed as an all in one system that can be completely controlled by mobile/tablet. 

Setup was a breeze, all the networking stuff worked well, just like the WXA-50. The sound however, was quite a disappointment. It wasn't terrible, but compared to the DSP-A1, the sound stage felt compressed (like listening to closed back headphones), the highs were a little fatiguing and the bass lacked punch and excitement. Details like the fleshy sound of finger snaps and bongos in the background were more difficult to pick out.  There were other bass boost eq features but all they served to do was make everything sound muddy. The YPAO room correction feature did help bring forwards vocals a little bit. I gave it 50 hours of running in hoping it might mellow but to no avail. Even my SO, who has not one iota of interest in audio could tell the difference in sound and preferred the original setup!

In the end I packed it up and was fortunately able to return the unit. 

It may have been a bad speaker amp pairing (I've been told the Tannoy's have a tendency to be on the bright side) but from my experience, unless you are just starting out and can pick up one of these cheap, its an OK unit. But at about $1400 retail its tough to recommend. Echoing what has been mentioned in other threads one is better off going a WXC-50 and a separate amp for similar $$$ (or even much less money if going second hand!)