Johnny_Boy

Recommended upgrade?

Agree with WasM, room analysis and treatments if you haven't already ventured down this path.

Or alternatively, professional audio and video calibration. These processes may actually assist in identifying the system's weak points, too, which will inform future equipment upgrades.

23 hours ago, sakabatou said:

I agree with this - I had basically the same set up as you, as I didn't have room for a proper centre in the old house.

I went from DC-6cc to DC-X63cc and the impact is significant - one of the factors being that is is a true 3-way, as opposed to the 2-way GenIV mk2.

I was driving the DC-6cc +6dB from memory, and I think ended up at -1dB on the DC-X63cc to maintain balance across the front stage.

I wasn't truly prepared for how enormous the cabinet is, though.

I did also upgrade from an old Denon to the Anthem MRX-720, which was also very worthwhile.

Out of everything so far i think the centre is my weak point. 

I gave vaf a call yesterday to go through some options. Would either be a toss up between the DC-X63cc or i91mkii cc. 

From what they were telling me, the i91 would be the better option based on my room size, Its a modest room of 4.5x4.5, so the larger SLP output of the X63cc wouldn't be needed.

On the plus side the i91 is also cheaper!

19 hours ago, WasM said:

A few things to consider other than those mentioned above:

- room treatment

- Umik or calibrated microphone to play together with some DSP unit

- upgrade to new model Denon or Marantz AVR, less of a jump to Anthem

- bass shakers

- universal remote

I have recently installed some room treatments, with floor to ceiling curtains on one side for the room. I would have liked to do 3 sides but that isn't really an option for the time being. Further room treatments such as roof panels and wall panels aren't really an option as this is a predominantly a general tv room. I can get away with some things, but not too much in a mixed use room. 

I do have a universal remote and love it. Don't think i could go back to multiple remotes now. 

1 hour ago, iversons13 said:

Agree with WasM, room analysis and treatments if you haven't already ventured down this path.

Or alternatively, professional audio and video calibration. These processes may actually assist in identifying the system's weak points, too, which will inform future equipment upgrades.

I have considered a audio calibration, once i decide on a new centre channel i will definitely get it calibrated. Know any good audio calibration technicians?

The projector is calibrated, and was money well spend. Awesome picture. 

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, love it