Johnny_Boy

Recommended upgrade?

Hi All,

I'm reasonably happy with my system, but after my wife has made a little impulse purchase, i have the green light on a upgrade. Something in the 3-4k range would be acceptable. 

The thing is, i have no idea what if anything i should even be looking at. I'm open to any suggestions

Current Gear

TV - Panasonic 75fx780a

Projector - JVC X5000

Screen - 110 tab tensioned screen (wont be replacing this one)

Receiver - Denon 6200X

Amps - Emotiva XPA5 (5 main channels), Emotiva UPA700 (2-atmos speakers and zone2/3 speakers, have 2 free channels)

Speakers - Vaf DCX Gen4mk2, DC6 centre, DC7 early model surrounds, DC3 atmos

Sub - Submersive

Sources 

- Fetch mighty

- Apple tv

- HiMedia Q10 Pro connected to my server

- Panasonic UB400 4k player

I thought about adding 2 surrounds to convert from 5.1.2 to 7.1.2 but dont really have the room. Same for a second set of atmos speakers. 

Ideas? or it is just spending money for the sake of spending money?

Thanks

I assume you will be using mainly for movies.  However, if you have more than 50% music, consider a 2 channel setup.

My first thought was a second sub, but do you have the room?  Some other options are a prepro to replace the AVR, upgrade to  Pana UB9000.  

Hi, 

there need to be space between speakers so in average/small room it doesn't make sense to go 7.1.2 or 5.1.4.

5.1.2 is a good solution.  

If the system is only for movies I would upgrade center speaker. 

Posted (edited)

Agree on the centre speaker upgrade.

Found this Vaf user review online:-

"Good to see VAF are finally officially making the larger DCXcc center speaker. If you can spare a little extra room and dollars, then definitely skip the DC6 and get one of these instead. It's basically a horizontal DCX and it's bloody sensational. NEVER skimp on the centre-speaker! "

Edited by woogie59

Like Snoopy 1st thought was your rooms frequency response and speaker phase interactions . Possibly consider a dirac standalone minidsp to improve on the audyssey ;  https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-88a A 2nd sub can help with smoothing nulls and standing waves if you have a bad room ?.

Or get another solution like Anthem with its recently improved ARC or a dirac equipped avr ..

If you sell the JVC you may get close to a new N5 to bitmap properly for your ub400 or just upgrade to a newer pana and let it bitmap as said. Or kill 2 birds with a pana ubd825 or the next model down [ you don't have any dolby vision displays so you don't need a dv capable player B) ] and a better cc  :)

19 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

I assume you will be using mainly for movies.  However, if you have more than 50% music, consider a 2 channel setup.

My first thought was a second sub, but do you have the room?  Some other options are a prepro to replace the AVR, upgrade to  Pana UB9000.  

Room is 100% movies/tv. i haven't ventured down the 2 channel path as i generally just stream spotify throughout the house. One day i may explore it but background music is fine for now. 
I have looked at getting a pre/pro, though i am not sure if that will actually improve the sound much for the money. 

Not much spare room for a second sub unfortunately. 

As for the new UBD player, of late i haven't been using it as much as i use to. I have been ripping all my media to my server at 1:1 for playback on my media player. The correct tone mapping of the UB9000 is interesting though. My projector does struggle with some UHD titles. 

17 hours ago, Irek said:

Hi, 

there need to be space between speakers so in average/small room it doesn't make sense to go 7.1.2 or 5.1.4.

5.1.2 is a good solution.  

If the system is only for movies I would upgrade center speaker. 

That is actually something i have been looking at but havent seen a DCX centre from the same generation come up for sale for quite a while. I have been looking out on gumtree/forums etc. Do you think the current DCX63-cc would me much different to the gen4mkII DCXcc? Or possibly the i91mkII cc for similar money. 

17 hours ago, woogie59 said:

"Good to see VAF are finally officially making the larger DCXcc center speaker. If you can spare a little extra room and dollars, then definitely skip the DC6 and get one of these instead. It's basically a horizontal DCX and it's bloody sensational. NEVER skimp on the centre-speaker! "

I think you're right, centre upgrade is the way to go. 

15 hours ago, cwt said:

Like Snoopy 1st thought was your rooms frequency response and speaker phase interactions . Possibly consider a dirac standalone minidsp to improve on the audyssey ;  https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-88a A 2nd sub can help with smoothing nulls and standing waves if you have a bad room ?.

Or get another solution like Anthem with its recently improved ARC or a dirac equipped avr ..

If you sell the JVC you may get close to a new N5 to bitmap properly for your ub400 or just upgrade to a newer pana and let it bitmap as said. Or kill 2 birds with a pana ubd825 or the next model down [ you don't have any dolby vision displays so you don't need a dv capable player B) ] and a better cc  :)

Hadn't considered a more premium room correction system. I'll have a look into it for sure.

I do like the idea of the new N5. Would really be pushing the budget though

4 minutes ago, Johnny_Boy said:

I have looked at getting a pre/pro, though i am not sure if that will actually improve the sound much for the money. 

Have a look at the Anthem AVM60.  Anthem Room Correction does make a difference for movies.  But as an alternative, and cheaper, use Dirac Live on a miniDSP as Collin mentioned earlier 👇

15 hours ago, cwt said:

Possibly consider a dirac standalone minidsp to improve on the audyssey ;  https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-88a

I am a fan of both Anthem Room Correction and Dirac Live.  For more info:

I have/had Anthem Receivers.

Currently use a MRX1120.  

Never looked at separates but a few years after the 1120 purchase I had the opportunity to purchase a used Anthem A5 5 channel power amp.

Certainty took the system to another level.

I used it on the centre, sides and rear speakers  Front right and left speakers use my stereo amp via HT bypass.

The difference is most noticeable via my centre and sides. All are high end versions of my speaker brand so can utilize the benefits that the A5 brings.

I also upgraded the centre speaker cable.

So I would recommend an upgrade to a better centre speaker plus centre speaker cable upgrade.

Then you can take you time looking at one box receivers or separates.

I like Anthem and compared single box MRX 1120 to separate two box Marantz. 

I bought the Anthem MRX1120. 

19 hours ago, woogie59 said:

I agree with this - I had basically the same set up as you, as I didn't have room for a proper centre in the old house.

I went from DC-6cc to DC-X63cc and the impact is significant - one of the factors being that is is a true 3-way, as opposed to the 2-way GenIV mk2.

I was driving the DC-6cc +6dB from memory, and I think ended up at -1dB on the DC-X63cc to maintain balance across the front stage.

I wasn't truly prepared for how enormous the cabinet is, though.

I did also upgrade from an old Denon to the Anthem MRX-720, which was also very worthwhile.

A few things to consider other than those mentioned above:

- room treatment

- Umik or calibrated microphone to play together with some DSP unit

- upgrade to new model Denon or Marantz AVR, less of a jump to Anthem

- bass shakers

- universal remote