Pioneer UDP-LX500 v Panasonic DP-UB9000

i haven't seen anyone with both ? but then you'd probably get one or other ? 

what are you chasing in the player ? analog performance ? universal player ? just a universal transport ? 

cambridge has the cxuhd if just looking for a transport ? and its a true uhd/universal

I have the pana that I am using as a transport really and I use a 205 player as a universal. 

ps can't the 751 BD be resurrected ? possibly just a simple fix ? or just want to move on ?  could then continue to use as a universal and add uhd player of choice :)

2 minutes ago, betty boop said:

i haven't seen anyone with both ? but then you'd probably get one or other ? 

what are you chasing in the player ? analog performance ? universal player ? just a universal transport ? 

cambridge has the cxuhd if just looking for a transport ? and its a true uhd/universal

I have the pana that I am using as a transport really and I use a 205 player as a universal. 

ps can't the 751 BD be resurrected ? possibly just a simple fix ? or just want to move on ?  could then continue to use as a universal and add uhd player of choice :)

The 751 BD's main board is faulty & is $721 to fix, it does what I want it to do but knowing my luck something else will break 2 weeks after I get it back.

I cant justify the spend

2 channel sound is a priority, as well a quality BD player

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Brad24 said:

The 751 BD's main board is faulty & is $721 to fix, it does what I want it to do but knowing my luck something else will break 2 weeks after I get it back.

I cant justify the spend

2 channel sound is a priority, as well a quality BD player

I think I sold my 751 and then 752 at $650 or there about 2nd hand years ago... so no not worth it at that sort of money ....

if 2ch and BD player, does that mean dont need uhd ? 

otherwise you'd want to explore both choice over analog id suggest. not sure many have compared both.... or which makes better 2ch player...

5 minutes ago, betty boop said:

I think I sold my 751 and then 752 at $650 or there about 2nd hand years ago... so no not worth it at that sort of money ....

if 2ch and BD player, does that mean dont need uhd ? 

otherwise you'd want to explore both choice over analog id suggest. not sure many have compared both.... or which makes better 2ch player...

Uhd = ultra high def?

sorry I struggle a little with some of what I read on this forum

Ive read on some of the English reviews that the Pioneer is a little better for Audio so I’m leaning that way at the moment

My AV amp is a Pioneer SC-LX83 which has been good to me

I have another pre/power set up for the fronts

15 minutes ago, Brad24 said:

Uhd = ultra high def?

sorry I struggle a little with some of what I read on this forum

Ive read on some of the English reviews that the Pioneer is a little better for Audio so I’m leaning that way at the moment

My AV amp is a Pioneer SC-LX83 which has been good to me

I have another pre/power set up for the fronts

yes ultra high definition uhd... you'd only look at these if needing that. if dont need that then can grab a legacy player.  ie just blu-ray 

just keep in mind the lx83 wont pass uhd so unless planning to bypass it. if dont need uhd might be better off with a non uhd player pick up 2nd hand off the classifieds :)

12 minutes ago, betty boop said:

yes ultra high definition uhd... you'd only look at these if needing that. if dont need that then can grab a legacy player.  ie just blu-ray 

just keep in mind the lx83 wont pass uhd so unless planning to bypass it. if dont need uhd might be better off with a non uhd player pick up 2nd hand off the classifieds :)

Yeah ok thanks

Will a non UHD player have the musical capability of the Pioneer I spoke of above?

19 minutes ago, Brad24 said:

Yeah ok thanks

Will a non UHD player have the musical capability of the Pioneer I spoke of above?

There’s probably a ton of non uhd players with musical capability lot cheaper than the pioneer.

if wanting it to be a blu-Ray player as well then limiting to Cambridge 751/752 or oppo 95/105 players

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

There’s probably a ton of non uhd players with musical capability lot cheaper than the pioneer.

if wanting it to be a blu-Ray player as well then limiting to Cambridge 751/752 or oppo 95/105 players

Are any of these available new still?

6 hours ago, Brad24 said:

Are any of these available new still?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Oppo-BDP-105D-Universal-Blu-ray-Player-Excellent-Condition/292998864832?epid=129001001&hash=item443817dfc0:g:42MAAOSwA05cgy5i

just one example, check eBay and classifieds here,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, betty boop said:

Thanks for the link

Im going to struggle to spend $1000 for a used player.

I think I’d rather buy new

That said I bought my Monitor Audio fronts second hand

3 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

What are you playing when you use the analogue outs of the player? CD, sacd?

may even lay to get a cheap bd player for movies and a dedicated CD player for 2ch??

Just CD's mate

I thought of doing as you suggested but I do like listening to live blu-ray music concerts

I liked the way my CA 751 BD performed & what I used it for

Im leaning towards the pioneer UDP-LX500

If I have to update my A/V amp, so be it

15 minutes ago, Brad24 said:

It’s not like it won’t play with the amp, it’s just that you are basically paying for uhd which if not using is a wasted expense.

as suggested above a basic CD player even if new is worth considering 

I compared a 20 year old musical fidelity CD player with Cambridge 752 and oppo 105 and the old CD player actually did very well !!! Nothing wrong with old !

that said unless comparing on your avr for analog it’s all bit academic ...

• Like 1

I agree with the others that your best value and best sound is have a good second hand CD player and buy a cheap new BD player.  You are paying a premium for UHD for the Pioneer and Pana.

By the way, have you listened to either of them?  They may have different sound signatures and you may prefer one over another.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad24 said:

Just CD's mate

I thought of doing as you suggested but I do like listening to live blu-ray music concerts

I liked the way my CA 751 BD performed & what I used it for

Pretty sure the pioneer has two hdmi outs so you can send Audio through the av receiver you have and video straight to the display if needed on uhd discs.

the pioneer also has a built in dac you could use an audio streamer with if desired

pqls jitter free audio between the pioneer player and receiver you have is a nice to have also.

1 hour ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Pretty sure the pioneer has two hdmi outs so you can send Audio through the av receiver you have and video straight to the display if needed on uhd discs.

the pioneer also has a built in dac you could use an audio streamer with if desired

pqls jitter free audio between the pioneer player and receiver you have is a nice to have also.

That's good news, thanks

Im pretty sure that's how I had my CA 751 connected

udp-lx500_rearpanel__large_full.jpg

Universal powersupply too. Nice.

I have seen a number of posts on avsforum on layer change delays on 100GB UHDs. Anyone else gotten that?  There is a new firmware that may fix it, but early days

I don't have one of these.

5 hours ago, Brad24 said:

That's good news, thanks

Im pretty sure that's how I had my CA 751 connected

udp-lx500_rearpanel__large_full.jpg

Unfortunate thing with using dual hdmi is it also opens up to chance of lip synch as audio and video processed differently in different devices at different rates. With large volumes of data with uhd this is even more issue.

• Like 1

You know what this means don't you ?? ; compulsory upgrading of your display for UHD :) And buying a few sacd's and dvd-a's B)

Congrats ; pioneer have some nice proprietary engineering and they always avoid oem parts if they can :thumb:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 16/03/2019 at 2:19 PM, Brad24 said:

So far pretty impressed with my new purchase

Does anyone with the unit know what subtitle options there are? The Panasonic allows position and luminance adjustment, although not mentioned in the manual. What options are available on the Pioneer?

Thanks

• 4 months later...