Is This All We Need With Our HiFi Systems?

3 hours ago, rantan said:

Because I love both ( pairs ) and I find one pair is more suited to one system ( although they do get swapped around sometimes.) I also have not added complexity and actually decreased it by not having two systems in different rooms.

Also, one amplifier has only a very basic phono stage  and suits the CD much better. Simplicity is achieve by not having an extra phono stage.

Good explanation. Different use cases. I just tried this to see if there was any issue with me putting a 100” projector over the top of the 65” tv. There is, apparently. 

Just a original Bluesound Pulse speaker for me. All i need for a while

Apart from all the hard surfaces in the room now its empty it sounded amazing for what it is. Great bass. I had to pack everything else up for a renovation. 

DFA65830-B424-4E3B-BCE0-7B6AF8458CFA.jpeg

Edited by Andrews_melb
  • Like 1

IMG_20190318_222113.thumb.jpg.69550d32b9c9645860c7f5e828da00ff.jpg

Here's my "Marie Kondo'ed setup".....Meridian DSP5000 with a DAP feeding it digital files. No TT, no CD player, no external pre-amp & amplifier. Used a laptop to rip all my CDs into FLAC and stored in DAP. Digital out from the DAP into the Meridians.

• Like 4

Not as simple as some, but not really missing out on anything either. TT using the integrated's inbuilt phono stage, CD's all ripped to HDD attached to a computer in another room, accessed thru Roon by my streaming integrated. Also have access to Tidal via Roon, Spotify and internet radio via bluetooth from my phone. Foxtel and appleTV played via optical out of the TV. Alfresco speakers use Sonos AMP as power and source.

image.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andrews_melb said:

Just a original Bluesound Pulse speaker for me. All i need for a while

Apart from all the hard surfaces in the room now its empty it sounded amazing for what it is. Great bass. I had to pack everything else up for a renovation. 

DFA65830-B424-4E3B-BCE0-7B6AF8458CFA.jpeg

Now we’re drifting a bit too much from audiophile aspirations. All those pod devices can make good music for casual listening, but hardly super high quality?

1 hour ago, anandpkumar said:

Here's my "Marie Kondo'ed setup".....Meridian DSP5000 with a DAP feeding it digital files. No TT, no CD player, no external pre-amp & amplifier. Used a laptop to rip all my CDs into FLAC and stored in DAP. Digital out from the DAP into the Meridians.

Check-mate! You got me there, high quality active Meridian speakers with computer files feeding it music across the airwaves, as simple as it gets.:thumb:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blybo said:

Not as simple as some, but not really missing out on anything either. TT using the integrated's inbuilt phono stage, CD's all ripped to HDD attached to a computer in another room, accessed thru Roon by my streaming integrated. Also have access to Tidal via Roon, Spotify and internet radio via bluetooth from my phone. Foxtel and appleTV played via optical out of the TV. Alfresco speakers use Sonos AMP as power and source.

image.png

The aesthetic is excellent. What is the top right box? Also, I see you are the only other person I know to have bought a white Rel sub. Is it T9i or bigger?

2 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

The aesthetic is excellent. What is the top right box? Also, I see you are the only other person I know to have bought a white Rel sub. Is it T9i or bigger?

top right box is one of these

moonace_9989_1024x1024.jpg?v=1551716853

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/simaudio-moon-ace-all-in-one-music-player?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy761wIaN4QIVg5CPCh00hQ1EEAAYASAAEgLcY_D_BwE

and the sub is an S3. Love it for when I get the need for some dance music, but hardly notice it otherwise. We have a dedicated HT room so don't watch movies or docos in the family room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve M said:

Check-mate! You got me there, high quality active Meridian speakers with computer files feeding it music across the airwaves, as simple as it gets.:thumb:

Yup......a lot simpler than my previous setup - which had TT, CDP, speakers, 2 subs and separate pre-amp & amplifier.

I do miss my TT though......sigh! Might integrate one sometime in the future

On 12/03/2019 at 11:09 PM, Steve M said:

Snoopy, I do not decry audiophilia ...rather that it is a worthy and artistic pursuit. Whatever floats your boat and based on the stage of the journey one is on. Obviously, my position can (and will) change by tomorrow.:rolleyes:    Steve

Hello Steve M,

Congratulations for reversing your "additive" past with your  minimalist "subtractive"  present - "less is more" executed judiciously does not have to be an empty slogan!

If you ever decide in the future to replace the speakers, I unreservedly recommend the CUBE NENUPHAR ( a single 10 inch neodymium widebander driver ) for the more demanding, complicated and challenging music OR the CUBE MAGUS ( an 8 inch driver ) for simpler, acoustic music.

You may be interested to know that these speakers are now imported and distributed by Craig Johnston of AUDIO HEAVEN, a very affable and congenial person whom I know very well.

Cheers and be well, Kostas Papazoglou.

4 hours ago, Steve M said:

Now we’re drifting a bit too much from audiophile aspirations. All those pod devices can make good music for casual listening, but hardly super high quality?

You are right, not super high quality. If it could play in stereo, it would seriously be worth considering. I currently like to tweak and add new things to my system so its not for me long term. 

I dont have the choices of the OP,  but I am always trying to minimise the boxes.

Currently my system consist of:

• Auralic Aries - control with phone
  • Audio Aero Dac/CD/SACD/Pre - control with remote if needed.
  • Consonance amps
  • Speakers

I know I can do better, but I am happy with what I have.

10 hours ago, blybo said:

top right box is one of these

moonace_9989_1024x1024.jpg?v=1551716853

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/simaudio-moon-ace-all-in-one-music-player?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy761wIaN4QIVg5CPCh00hQ1EEAAYASAAEgLcY_D_BwE

and the sub is an S3. Love it for when I get the need for some dance music, but hardly notice it otherwise. We have a dedicated HT room so don't watch movies or docos in the family room.

Like the player. Just realised it is also an amp.  If you ever want to sell the sub let me know!

Edited by Mike13
  • Like 1

36c434c92c3e8a67e4710a4664dc957f.jpg

I’ve gone simple too! ditched radio and pre amp.

Apple TV for streaming music from my computer or phone
Gustard DAC with digital volume control (it sounds more than fine!)
hypex Power Amps (hidden)
Benchmark speakers

CD player is hidden but not used that often.
radio is now streamed.

• Like 2

On 19/03/2019 at 9:46 AM, anandpkumar said:

https://lenwallisaudio.com/products/secondhand/meridian-ultimate-sound-package/

Simplicity plus:)

11 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Yup, it is a simple setup, a far cry from the one I had earlier!

BTW, I should tell the folks over at LWA to pull that ad out from their website. Those are the ones that I picked up a couple of months ago - and it's still on their site! I didn't buy the centre channel though, and the G91 advertised along with the speakers were already gone when I got there

• Like 1

On 21/03/2019 at 1:58 PM, misternavi said:

36c434c92c3e8a67e4710a4664dc957f.jpg

I’ve gone simple too! ditched radio and pre amp.

Apple TV for streaming music from my computer or phone
Gustard DAC with digital volume control (it sounds more than fine!)
hypex Power Amps (hidden)
Benchmark speakers

CD player is hidden but not used that often.
radio is now streamed.

Nice clean setup! Which benchmark speakers are those? Looks quite big and wide

5 minutes ago, Bill125812 said:

No Lindsey.   The only thing it doesn’t possess 

Thanks mate. An outboard phono stage is easily had anyway.

I have been thinking about one of these for a long time and a system pretty much along the lines of what you have now, with just the Uniti star and a turntable. I am craving simplicity.

Do you have any thoughts about how it sounds compared to your Luxman?

Cheers.

Edited by rantan