BenQ LK970

2 hours ago, Spizz said:

Any updates?

Only received it yesterday..... was up till 3am this morning then had to go to work...?  Just give me a chance to get it set up properly... :)

Initial impressions..

LENS....It is crazy SHARP!  And i mean sharp to the extent of embarrassing some high end PJ,s i have / had here!  

Convergence.....HA!!!!  No need to worry about that.......... being DLP, there NO panels to worry about being mis-aligned  ...and it shows, the image is just RAZOR sharp!!!    No Halos, NO Fringing, just sharp and clean.

Brightness is not an issue....with 5000 lumens it lights up my 143" Scope with ridiculous ease.

Contrast..... with LOW APL scenes ..Yep its lacking  ..... BUT!!!!   on mixed content its "Gorgeous"  :)

A good friend ( he has the Sony 760ES and JVC X9500) called in this morning before work to have  a quick look  ......summery of his first reaction..."WOW"   I pointed out the low end Black Level deficiency..... his reply.... " I can live with that"  :) 

I am taking Friday OFF to do some extensive comparisons ....will have some more substantial feedback after then.  :)

• Like 2

Thanks for the update.  It really helps out potential buyers.  How is the fan noise?  Is it a deal killer if being mounted slightly behind or overhead?  Motion?  

Also when do you get the LK990 to check out the differences and whether the LK970 is the more mature unit?

I posted this on AVS...

Spent the majority of today with some HT friends comparing the LK970 . We had my Z1/RS4500 / X9900/ X7500 and my friends Sony 760ES. . 

The LK970 CAN put out a truly truly "Stunning" image .....with a "Caveat" ..... The "Caveat" being the material has to NOT be comprised ( or very minimal ) of LOW APL Scenes!

There is no way of saying otherwise, but the LOW APL Black level is VERY POOR .frown.gif Put this aspect aside just for a moment because on material that doesn't fall into that APL level the image is superb.smile.gif

Some points..

Sharpness / Perceived .... The lens on the LK970 top notch, on many occasions it "appears" sharper than my Z1/RS4500. It IS substantially sharper than the SONY 760ES and embarrass the 2 E-Shift projectors! 

Brightness... It lights up my 143" cope screen from 20ft with ease..... It is substantially brighter than my Z1/RS4500 .. 5000 lumens vs 3000 lumens.

Noise.... Its louder than my Z1 on MED Laser, and quieter than my Z1 on HIGH Laser.

My friend who owns the SONY 760ES ( he also has an X9500) loved the LK970... even after seeing its lacklustre LOW APL peformance , he stated he would take the LK970 over his 760ES because of the other good aspects of the LK970.

Myself....i "Defiantly Defiantly " prefer the LOW APL performance of my Z1/RS4500 over the LK970 , but in other areas i really like the LK970 ....on some material i preferred it to my Z1/RS4500..smile.gif

The LK970 is areal conundrum...... On one hand it can look "Abysmal!!! " frown.gif but on the other it can look truly "Stunning" smile.gif

I think we are all looking for the perfect projector , which i dont think exists. ALL of the projectors here have strong and weak points...ALL the projectors here produced VERY enjoyable images.. smile.gif

Some will write the LK970 off due to it being DLP and having POOR APL Black level performance......fair enough.....thats what Personal Preferences are all about.. smile.gif

Me..... I very much like the LK970 smile.gif

OH..... @Dave Harper I am truly truly sorry but we DID do a split screen shot of "Interstellar" tango_face_crying.png @markmon1 tango_face_grin.png 

A few pics below... smile.gif

970#1.jpg

970#2.jpg

970#3.jpg

970#4.jpg

970#5.jpg

970#6.jpg

970#7.jpg

970#8.jpg

970#9.jpg

Comp.jpg

LK970-Lef-t----Z1-Right.jpg

Z1#1.jpg

Z1#2.jpg

Z1#3.jpg

Z1#4.jpg

Z1#5.jpg

Z1#6.jpg

Z1#7.jpg

Z1#8.jpg

Z1#9.jpg

• Like 2

The lens on that thing is stunning. Here's a compare of one of those shots.

Note the guy back left with the yellow helmet thing on, the checker pattern is more detailed on the 970.

As is the lapel on the main guy. Stunning.. it's all more detailed.. we're splitting hairs but the difference is there.

Interesting to see Dave Harpers phone shots he's just posted, shows the black level in a different level.. wonder what's going on there?

You need to click on the image 3 times to get full screen large size too.

970_Z1_compare_detail_left_BP.jpg

Edited by oztheatre
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, oztheatre said:

Interesting to see Dave Harpers phone shots he's just posted, shows the black level in a different level.. wonder what's going on there?

970_Z1_compare_detail_left_BP.jpg

Rich, trying  to ascertain whats up with the low end black  level .... if i can improve that then it will increase  the smile on my face substantially...:D

• Like 1

what are the output levels on either machine. are they calibrated ? what luminance ? woofer are you going "balls to the wall": with output ? might expect the low end end black level if the case ? 

as to comparison shots am not sure id go on anything put up especially when some are so one eyed....

Woofer the noise comparison to your Z1 I don't understand.  Are you saying the noise is between the medium and high level of your Z1?  Is there an ECO mode that quietens down the fan noise?

2 hours ago, Spizz said:

Woofer the noise comparison to your Z1 I don't understand.  Are you saying the noise is between the medium and high level of your Z1?  Is there an ECO mode that quietens down the fan noise?

I wil get you an actual db number.

The LK970 is slightly louder than my Z1 ,s MEDIUM LASER setting ......The LK970 is quieter than my Z1,s HIGH LASER setting. :)   So yes in between...

• Like 1

Spent ALL day doing comparisons with  a LOT of material between my Z1 and The LK970...

The LK970 is a wonderful  projector!!!    Actually its VERY embarrassing for the Z1!!!   ?

Posting a direct link to the thread on AVS as there are heaps of pics...:)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2917348-benq-lk970-4k-dlp-laser-12-999k-msrp-28.html#post57785486

• Like 1

Very high praise for the 970 Woof, if it is was from most anyone else I would take it with a serious pinch of salt. 

So earlier today I was going down the ‘ignorance is bliss’ approach but after reading your comparisons you now have me considering selling the X9900 and buying the 970! ... Bugger! I knew I should have stopped visiting this bloody section of SNA once I purchased the 9900.

cheers Terry

1 hour ago, TerryO said:

Very high praise for the 970 Woof, if it is was from most anyone else I would take it with a serious pinch of salt. 

So earlier today I was going down the ‘ignorance is bliss’ approach but after reading your comparisons you now have me considering selling the X9900 and buying the 970! ... Bugger! I knew I should have stopped visiting this bloody section of SNA once I purchased the 9900.

cheers Terry

hi terry can certainly replace. but I am sure woofer would agree too, having just got it, are you seeing best of it yet ? a bit of setup and then better still a calibration (professionally if possible - not sure who is out your ways) once gets unto 200-400 hours is something highly recommended to experience something like the 9900 at its optimum. every style of projector have their strengths and the 9900 is hard to beaten in some aspects by even projectors costing a heck of a lot more :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
hi terry can certainly replace. but I am sure woofer would agree too, having just got it, are you seeing best of it yet ? a bit of setup and then better still a calibration (professionally if possible - not sure who is out your ways) once gets unto 200-400 hours is something highly recommended to experience something like the 9900 at its optimum. every style of projector have their strengths and the 9900 is hard to beaten in some aspects by even projectors costing a heck of a lot more [emoji4] 

I’m having the same thoughts with my x9900, luckily bought the JVC at run out so shouldn’t lose too much.

I’m having the same thoughts with my x9900, luckily bought the JVC at run out so shouldn’t lose too much.

I would not be selling a 9 series JVC to buy a BenQ especially if you got a good deal on the JVC.

They have a lot of work to do on firmware and it's possible that some of that will only materialise in the form of a new model. Then you should consider it if feedback is good.

• Like 3