acoustic isolation pads - required?

hi

apologies for putting up this 3rd post in the past 1 week. just tapping into the wisdom offered her on the forum - thank you.

currently have a pair of dali zensor 3 (bookshelf speakers) which are going to sit on custom joinery (being built) for a bar-room. the joinery will be made of timber and will be able to house the amplifier etc. although the zensors are not particularly heavy on the bass, i'm fearful it might reverberate or create additional noise by due to their position. i was thinking of putting them up on the wall, but the feature wall has timer work sticking out of it in various places for a textured effect, so i think that's out. i've drawn some inspiration from a youtuber who was using acoustic isolation pads between the desk and the studio-monitors.

the product he was using is called aurolex acoustics propad. these retail for around $189 per pair. i've found some cheaper variants on ebay for <$50.

am i wasting my money getting this, or would it be worth it? i just want to minimise any rattling noises etc.

thanks again for your input! ?

sk

ps. i saw something similar for subwoofers - worth considering as well? the sub would be placed directly on wooden flooring otherwise.

Guest DarkNark
19 minutes ago, shamrock said:

hi

apologies for putting up this 3rd post in the past 1 week. just tapping into the wisdom offered her on the forum - thank you.

currently have a pair of dali zensor 3 (bookshelf speakers) which are going to sit on custom joinery (being built) for a bar-room. the joinery will be made of timber and will be able to house the amplifier etc. although the zensors are not particularly heavy on the bass, i'm fearful it might reverberate or create additional noise by due to their position. i was thinking of putting them up on the wall, but the feature wall has timer work sticking out of it in various places for a textured effect, so i think that's out. i've drawn some inspiration from a youtuber who was using acoustic isolation pads between the desk and the studio-monitors.

the product he was using is called aurolex acoustics propad. these retail for around $189 per pair. i've found some cheaper variants on ebay for <$50.

am i wasting my money getting this, or would it be worth it? i just want to minimise any rattling noises etc.

thanks again for your input! ?

sk

ps. i saw something similar for subwoofers - worth considering as well? the sub would be placed directly on wooden flooring otherwise.

I believe that some members have had success with this. Certainly a cheap alternative to try. I think @Addicted to music had a thread somewhere about this. I just couldn't find it. :)

Why don't you wait till your cabinetry is built and see if there is actually an issue? 

agree wait till you have things set up and then you can buy the pads from bunnings and see if they make a difference. if not just return them haha

they come in 50x50 blocks, 100x100 blocks, 100x100 sheet, 200x200 sheet. 12.5mm thick

possibly will work better under the sub. is it down firing?

Edited by hopefullguy

hi

you're both talking sense! i guess i'm getting way ahead of myself. thanks for the tips - the bunnings materal seems like a great idea - cheap too!

in regards to the sub - i think i've narrowed it down to the svs sb 1000/2000 (so forward firing).

thanks

sk

Guest DarkNark

If you end up with an SVS sub they make these.  I haven't used them myself as my SB1000 sit on carpet. Maybe worth considering.

At the end of the day, I don't think there is much to be lost trying out the Bunnings stuff.

• 1 month later...
On 11/03/2019 at 1:48 PM, DarkNark said:

I believe that some members have had success with this. Certainly a cheap alternative to try. I think @Addicted to music had a thread somewhere about this. I just couldn't find it. :)

Why don't you wait till your cabinetry is built and see if there is actually an issue? 

Got those today on your recommendation. Wow. So cheap yet so effective especially for sub. Thank you 

• Like 1

I wouldn’t use those Bunnings rubber blocks for light bookshelf speakers on cabinet - they’re very dense and likely to transmit vibes. I think they’re quite effective under equipment racks and heavier speakers - I use them - but not for lighter stuff.

I’d go for 10 mm sorbothane sheet - 100 x 100 mm about $25 on ebay. Cut it into 4 small squares under each speaker.

I bought some recently.

on ebay - philstore - I think.

https://www.stopvibration.com.au/product/sorbothane-10100100mm-heavy-duty-machine-pads-3966-inch-2/

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 2

Mike13.

i've seen that and other products from auralex, but i felt i was paying a premium for it (?). then again, most HIFI products are priced at premium - hence the bunnings solution. at any rate, my sub has 4 small circular feet, whereas the bookshelves are just flat.

it made more sense to me, to add a anti-vibration material under the feet only, rather than the entire length - or is this logic off?

thanks

sk

H i, S,  I have only read first page of this topic.  You may have got slightly off course with the Ytuber it is not practice to put a full size sheet under spk or sub as the center of the bottom panel is where the resonance happens  it is a must there is zero contact here or spk will sound muddy. Only use cnr support 20mm square or less depending on density under spk or sub. Or put a carpet square full size under them and use the original supplied feet (my preference). Richard

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shamrock said:

Mike13.

i've seen that and other products from auralex, but i felt i was paying a premium for it (?). then again, most HIFI products are priced at premium - hence the bunnings solution. at any rate, my sub has 4 small circular feet, whereas the bookshelves are just flat.

it made more sense to me, to add a anti-vibration material under the feet only, rather than the entire length - or is this logic off?

thanks

sk

Hi Shamrock,

The Bunnings anti vibration matting and blocks work quite well but are nowhere near as effective as the Auralex style products.  I have the Bunnings blocks and mats all over the house on everything from the Washing machine to the racing console.

They are no match for the Auralex and similar vibration solutions.  I had at one stage a composite of the pads and the 20kg concrete paving slab which worked a little better than stock.  When I used the Auralex and some other products the improvement in the best cases was more like a component upgrade.  The improvement with the Bunnings style mats was obvious but comparatively small.

The differences are much more noticeable with things like subs on wooden floors.

I think the Auralex products are dirt cheap for the improvement in sound they can give you.    I spent months coming up with Vibration products which were better than the Auralex and many hundreds of dollars in sample materials/densities etc to get there.  

The biggest difference and sound improvement will probably be with a unit under your subwoofer.

LPG

• Like 1