why no Holyywood 4k movies on Netflix?

• 2 weeks later...

It's gotta be that the studios are charging more than Netflix is willing to pay for the rights to stream it.
Netflix can do 4k easily and has all the infrastructure to do it, even atmos support on select devices.

Could it be to try to get consumers to buy 4k Blurays? I think 4k hollywood movies on Netflix would be a nail in the 'physical media' coffin.

Cheers

On 11/03/2019 at 4:26 PM, nothing1 said:

but they have their own movies available in 4k

Too many platforms vying for 4k movies ; amazon prime; iTunes ;hulu; stan ; you get the idea :) And theres the 25mbps speed netfix recommends so supply and demand factors in to some extent ..  

On 19/03/2019 at 7:30 PM, PauliD said:

It's gotta be that the studios are charging more than Netflix is willing to pay for the rights to stream it.
Netflix can do 4k easily and has all the infrastructure to do it, even atmos support on select devices.

Could it be to try to get consumers to buy 4k Blurays? I think 4k hollywood movies on Netflix would be a nail in the 'physical media' coffin.

Cheers

this sounds about right. i was also thinking that maybe because of piracy that Netflix cannot guarantee the security of their movies!

we are in the hands of the studious i guess wth this kind of thing. and why I will continue to buy physical media ... so can watch what i want and have a copy to watch anytime i want. rather than relying on some media outlet deciding whether i should be able to view it at a certain time or not...

• Like 3

Totally agree. Physical means you have access for years to come. Streaming or even cloud based games you’ll only have access for as long as the company wants you to. If the service isn’t profitable they could close it and your left with nothing expect the memories ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask about the audio/video compression that Netflix applies to their movies. I compared a HD version of 2 Fast 2 Furious on Netflix against my physical bluray copy and the bluray version sounded sooo much better. The audio was clean and sharp while on Netflix it was muffled. Have other users experienced this? It’s blurays only for me given the extra immersion!

17 hours ago, OzJustin said:

Can I ask about the audio/video compression that Netflix applies to their movies. I compared a HD version of 2 Fast 2 Furious on Netflix against my physical bluray copy and the bluray version sounded sooo much better. The audio was clean and sharp while on Netflix it was muffled. Have other users experienced this? It’s blurays only for me given the extra immersion!

I haven't. I don't think your audio experience can be extrapolated to Netfix (Australia) generally. The audio is generally not muffled, but clear.

The Netflix server has multiple versions of the video of each title available, ranging from very very low bitrate and resolution (around 240p) through various intermediate bitrates and resolutions, generally up to a resolution of 1080p, though some only go as high as a resolution of 480p. I have found 1080p versions definitely softer than a Full HD Blu-ray version of the same movie.

If you pay the premium for 4K then you can access the 2160p version of Netflix titles mastered in 4K [provided your internet link can sustain at least about 12Mbps]. These titles generally have better than Full HD visible resolution (I have established that by rescaling the picture down to Full HD and identifying parts of the picture that have lost detail). 

The Netflix server will swap video resolutions and bitrates on-the-fly. So if someone else in your household starts up a high bitrate download, leaving insufficient bitrate for Netflix to operate normally, the Netflix picture will automatically drop to a lower resolution and bitrate version of the title until the available bitrate for Netflix recovers to normal.

I have noticed muffled audio only for very brief periods when first launching Netflix. This is at the stage when the Netflix server is trialling different bitrates over the internet link to establish how much bitrate it can send.

Edited by MLXXX

I have found movies sometimes lacking clarity even at full quality stream compared to 'brought to you Netflix' movies or tv shows.

On the other hand I have been impressed with the sound quality on TV shows like Dirk Gently, Sex Education (not what you think ;) ), You, Dark, The Umbrella Academy, Star Trek... but these are 'brought to you Netflix' so it's a conspiracy!

No doubt a Bluray with it's superior bitrate will be better.

Cheers

Hop over to the BEQ thread on AVSforum to get a clearer image on the lossy audio on streaming. It isn't the purpose of the thread there, but in a number of cases they have posted the spectrum curves of the lossless atmos and lossy streamed atmos tracks, and the differences are pretty eye opening. From a few I've checked, you are looking at overall 6db lower, and a lower dynamic range.

Yet another reason I despair when I hear people saying physical media is dying... I've yet to have a streaming experience in my home theater that I'm anything less than disappointed. I don't think I've even seen real 4k on my appletv 4k. And I've definitely never gotten atmos. I can't understand why in amazon prime Jack Ryan shows as 5.1 in the badge, and plays 5.1, and only says HD when everyone says it is supposed to be atmos, 4k hdr.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Yet another reason I despair when I hear people saying physical media is dying... I've yet to have a streaming experience in my home theater that I'm anything less than disappointed.

Totally agree.  Physical 4K bluray discs are king when it comes to PQ and SQ.  Those that say otherwise are mostly speaking from vested interests or those that just won't believe their eyes and ears.  Perhaps some might get their eyesight and hearing checked.   Admittedly my 4K Apple TV will stream the so-called 4K Netflix content and Apple store content very nicely but 4K Bluray  discs played from my Oppo and displayed on my faux-K JVC projector are KING.

• Like 2

Consumer video I is clearly going the way Music did years ago and there’s nothing any of us can do about it. We know it the industry knows it I just hope that the discs keep being made for the people that want it, then we still get to choose.

i used to be obsessed over Video and audio quality 10 years ago but so much anymore, my eyes are happy with a 1080p image from 5 metres and as long as I’ve got 5.1 audio coming through my Netflix is satisfying to watch, not as good as disc but good enough for the money I pay.

Edited by Hi-Fi Whipped

1 hour ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

i used to be obsessed over Video and audio quality 10 years ago but so much anymore, my eyes are happy with a 1080p image from 5 metres and as long as I’ve got 5.1 audio coming through my Netflix is satisfying to watch, not as good as disc but good enough for the money I pay.

PAL DVDs still fill the shelves at JB Hi-Fi and other outlets, with their relatively low bitrate Dolby (or sometimes DTS) surround sound.  With movies this is typically with PAL speedup. At least with Netflix the speed and pitch of the dialogue and music of movies will be correct, even if the audio quality is not as high as with a Blu-ray version of the movie.

3 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Hop over to the BEQ thread on AVSforum to get a clearer image on the lossy audio on streaming. It isn't the purpose of the thread there, but in a number of cases they have posted the spectrum curves of the lossless atmos and lossy streamed atmos tracks, and the differences are pretty eye opening. From a few I've checked, you are looking at overall 6db lower, and a lower dynamic range.

Yet another reason I despair when I hear people saying physical media is dying... I've yet to have a streaming experience in my home theater that I'm anything less than disappointed. I don't think I've even seen real 4k on my appletv 4k. And I've definitely never gotten atmos. I can't understand why in amazon prime Jack Ryan shows as 5.1 in the badge, and plays 5.1, and only says HD when everyone says it is supposed to be atmos, 4k hdr.

Check your Apple TV streaming settings.  To be clear wer'e talking about the ATV 4k box - not the older versions.

Apple only streams 4k with atmos when your streaming is set to instant play - otherwise the older 'buffered" mode reverts to 1080p and 5.1.

1 hour ago, Lil Caesar said:

Check your Apple TV streaming settings.  To be clear wer'e talking about the ATV 4k box - not the older versions.

Apple only streams 4k with atmos when your streaming is set to instant play - otherwise the older 'buffered" mode reverts to 1080p and 5.1.

Yes, a 4k ATV. What do you mean instant play setting for streaming? I have never seen that setting, and googling that term with apple tv doesn't get any hits. I didn't think there was a buffering option (I'd have probably used it if I did!). And stuff like Prime, there are no playback settings relating to quality.

1 minute ago, Mobe1969 said:

Yes, a 4k ATV. What do you mean instant play setting for streaming? I have never seen that setting, and googling that term with apple tv doesn't get any hits. I didn't think there was a buffering option (I'd have probably used it if I did!). And stuff like Prime, there are no playback settings relating to quality.

Under settings - apps - movies & tv shows.  by default its set to quick start, you have to choose delayed start which is what i was referring to, and this applies to the apple store items only, not to Prime to the best of my knowledge.

2 hours ago, Lil Caesar said:

Under settings - apps - movies & tv shows.  by default its set to quick start, you have to choose delayed start which is what i was referring to, and this applies to the apple store items only, not to Prime to the best of my knowledge.

Ah right. For store stuff I only get some tv shows, which are just HD, so I download to laptop and watch via home share. Best results, running over the LAN. This is yet another thing I hate about Netflix and prime. They allow download on their frigging mobile apps, but NOT on gear for high end home theater... They just suck. So honestly I'm glad there are no great Hollywood movies on Netflix in 4k with Atmos. I can't see I'd ever get to the point where I would be tempted, even if I did get "good" 4k and lossy Atmos, to not buy the UHD.

• Haha 1

On 02/04/2019 at 10:35 AM, MLXXX said:

I haven't. I don't think your audio experience can be extrapolated to Netfix (Australia) generally. The audio is generally not muffled, but clear.

The Netflix server has multiple versions of the video of each title available, ranging from very very low bitrate and resolution (around 240p) through various intermediate bitrates and resolutions, generally up to a resolution of 1080p, though some only go as high as a resolution of 480p. I have found 1080p versions definitely softer than a Full HD Blu-ray version of the same movie.

If you pay the premium for 4K then you can access the 2160p version of Netflix titles mastered in 4K [provided your internet link can sustain at least about 12Mbps]. These titles generally have better than Full HD visible resolution (I have established that by rescaling the picture down to Full HD and identifying parts of the picture that have lost detail). 

The Netflix server will swap video resolutions and bitrates on-the-fly. So if someone else in your household starts up a high bitrate download, leaving insufficient bitrate for Netflix to operate normally, the Netflix picture will automatically drop to a lower resolution and bitrate version of the title until the available bitrate for Netflix recovers to normal.

I have noticed muffled audio only for very brief periods when first launching Netflix. This is at the stage when the Netflix server is trialling different bitrates over the internet link to establish how much bitrate it can send.

Perhaps my use of 'muffled' was the wrong word, but it is definately softer and less dynamic. I am on 100/40mbit NBN so doubt that is the problem. It probably is down to a lower bitrate between the two mediums but there is a substantial quality difference. Long live blu-ray and 4K discs! :) 

2 hours ago, OzJustin said:

Perhaps my use of 'muffled' was the wrong word, but it is definately softer and less dynamic. I am on 100/40mbit NBN so doubt that is the problem. It probably is down to a lower bitrate between the two mediums but there is a substantial quality difference. Long live blu-ray and 4K discs! :) 

"Softer"  you could overcome with a gain control. "Less dynamic" may be a Netflix decision to enable quieter parts of dialogue to be heard with the volume set at medium rather than at public cinema volume [i.e. very loud].

I've noticed insufficient bitrate allocation to the sound causing a strange wispy effect with some standard definition digital TV broadcasts.  I'm also not a fan of the bitrates commonly used in Australia for DAB+ radio. Even the supposed 80kbps used for ABC Classic FM, I find distinctly deficient.

My main gripe with TV sound in Australia is the PAL speedup we get with so many movies and sitcoms. (I can live with stereo rather than surround but I do very much dislike things being sped up from 24fps to 25fps.)

I find Netflix sound similar to Youtube sound, but often it comes as 5.1 channel sound rather than just stereo.

Netflix sound is probably comparable in quality to PAL DVD surround sound, but will be at the correct speed and pitch.

• Like 1