Sign in to follow this  
Martykt

Quitting Coffee.... please don't hurt me...

6 minutes ago, Cafad said:

I've never liked coffee but my pepsi max addiction was full on and it contains more caffeine than most coffee (not all, but most).  It was nothing for me to drink 2L a day, sometimes three.  I was drinking like that for years but about a month ago I obviously went too far and the dreaded caffeine headache showed up and would not leave.  Paracetamol did nothing, aspro was useless as well, ibuprofen did something but nowhere near enough.  This lasted for about 5 days before slowly lessening for another 3 or so.  

So now I have a single glass in the afternoon and make do with cheapo (supposedly caffeine free, although I have my doubts so I make it up at one third strength just to be sure) make-it-yourself soda stream cola before and after.  It truly tastes like third rate cola, but I drink it anyway because it can't give me a headache.

I now sleep much better, and have at least 30% more energy than before too, although I do get a bit scatter brained around lunchtime now.  Not sure what that's about.

Great work getting on top of that one Cafad.

I think soft drinks in general are a big issue.

I was brought up to believe that soft drinks are a treat but far too often it's treated as a main dehydration tool even to the point where some children won't even drink water straight.

10 hours ago, Martykt said:

So has anyone else quit coffee or thinking about quitting ?

Coffee, last cup August 1990, in Perth WA.

Alcohol, a bit, but would like to see it off the list.

No Smoking.

I drink loose leaf tea using stainless steel infusers, no tea bags for me, can't stand them, to me the tea made with tea in bags taste mostly of cardboard.

I have a teaspoon dissolving home made cuppa with breakfast and that’s it for the day.

I had  tea with ginger and lemon this morning......

the challenge is on.......let’s see how long I cave in.....:D

Strange that some people get headaches from not drinking coffee. I only get headaches if I drink too much of it!

I enjoy a cup of coffee or two fairly frequently, but there is no way I could be a coffee addict. Two cups is usually the limit for me, three at a stretch. Any more than that and the caffeine effect becomes too much to take. The jittery feeling from the caffeine becomes very unpleasant, I start getting headaches, and sometimes feel quite nauseous.

Its quite different with tea though, which I drink quite a lot, especially green tea. I regularly catch up with a couple of friends for coffee, but after one or two cups (two maximum) we switch to green tea, which is much easier on the system.

7 hours ago, Darren69 said:

I have a teaspoon dissolving home made cuppa with breakfast and that’s it for the day.

Exactly what I was doing Daz.... 

5 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

I had  tea with ginger and lemon this morning......

the challenge is on.......let’s see how long I cave in.....:D

We're with you Addicted, give it your best. 

The first few days are the worst so pack some headache tablets.

If you can make it to the The first week you'll be cruising. :thumb:

5 hours ago, emesbee said:

Strange that some people get headaches from not drinking coffee. I only get headaches if I drink too much of it!

I enjoy a cup of coffee or two fairly frequently, but there is no way I could be a coffee addict. Two cups is usually the limit for me, three at a stretch. Any more than that and the caffeine effect becomes too much to take. The jittery feeling from the caffeine becomes very unpleasant, I start getting headaches, and sometimes feel quite nauseous.

Its quite different with tea though, which I drink quite a lot, especially green tea. I regularly catch up with a couple of friends for coffee, but after one or two cups (two maximum) we switch to green tea, which is much easier on the system.

Couple of cups a day and there isn't a physical dependence to caffeine, so no withdrawals :)

5 hours ago, emesbee said:

From one article I've read Caffeine effects the flow of blood in the brain by constricting the blood vessels.

The withdrawal headaches from stopping drinking coffee are from the brain adapting to the increased flow of blood in the brain.

The article I read quoted one study which found that 250 grams of caffeine or about 2-3 cups (the same as you have.... :unsure:) of coffee will decrease cerebral blood flow by as much as 27%.

I'm guessing that the headaches from drinking too much Coffee are to do with the constriction of blood flow in the brain.

All of which is actually pretty scary if you think about it... 😬

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/caffeine-withdrawal-symptoms#section10

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2748160/

From the Healthline website you provided , an article linked in the same one. 

Caffeine good or bad;

summary :

Its important to keep in mind that many of the studies referenced in this article are observational. They examined the association between coffee drinking and disease outcomes but do not prove a cause and effect. 

However, given that the association is strong and consistent among studies, coffee may indeed play a positive role in your health.

Though it was demonized in the past, coffee is likely very healthy for most people, according to scientific evidence.

If anything, coffee belongs in the same category as healthy beverages like green tea.

From talking to a naturopath:
Coffee contains antioxidants [emoji108]
Where possible drink fresh (most antioxidants) organic (least chemicals) coffee.
Avoid having coffee at the same time each day to avoid building a dependency.
Avoid coffee later in the day to reduce its impact on your sleep.
I think she said something about having coffee free days or breaks from it but I can't remember the details. ( gave up coffee and now only have the occasional social cuppa.)

I am perfectly happy with 2 (or very occasionally 3) super-tasting doppio ristrettos daily.

For me, coffee is all about the taste, and a ristretto is all taste with low caffeine levels.

How come you guy’s have not switched to decaf?

l buy fresh beans and grind as required, l really enjoy the ritual of making a coffee in my stovetop espresso each afternoon after work after drinking tea all day.

A caffeinated coffee wrecks me that night so it is very occasional for me these days, usually a Saturday treat.

l did lash out and buy some geisha coffee after hearing a pod cast with the ceo of Campos Coffee on a QANTAS flight coming back from Adelaide last Christmas, it is exquisite and well worth trying.

I haven’t given up anything but I have started riding the pushie to work each day, 24km round trip. That’s helping stuff I think. Then again I don’t want to live a hell of a lot longer, this $hit is heavy lifting 😁