Martykt

Quitting Coffee.... please don't hurt me...

From the Healthline website you provided , an article linked in the same one. 

Caffeine good or bad;

summary :

Its important to keep in mind that many of the studies referenced in this article are observational. They examined the association between coffee drinking and disease outcomes but do not prove a cause and effect. 

However, given that the association is strong and consistent among studies, coffee may indeed play a positive role in your health.

Though it was demonized in the past, coffee is likely very healthy for most people, according to scientific evidence.

If anything, coffee belongs in the same category as healthy beverages like green tea.

From talking to a naturopath:
Coffee contains antioxidants [emoji108]
Where possible drink fresh (most antioxidants) organic (least chemicals) coffee.
Avoid having coffee at the same time each day to avoid building a dependency.
Avoid coffee later in the day to reduce its impact on your sleep.
I think she said something about having coffee free days or breaks from it but I can't remember the details. ( gave up coffee and now only have the occasional social cuppa.)

I am perfectly happy with 2 (or very occasionally 3) super-tasting doppio ristrettos daily.

For me, coffee is all about the taste, and a ristretto is all taste with low caffeine levels.

How come you guy’s have not switched to decaf?

l buy fresh beans and grind as required, l really enjoy the ritual of making a coffee in my stovetop espresso each afternoon after work after drinking tea all day.

A caffeinated coffee wrecks me that night so it is very occasional for me these days, usually a Saturday treat.

l did lash out and buy some geisha coffee after hearing a pod cast with the ceo of Campos Coffee on a QANTAS flight coming back from Adelaide last Christmas, it is exquisite and well worth trying.

I haven’t given up anything but I have started riding the pushie to work each day, 24km round trip. That’s helping stuff I think. Then again I don’t want to live a hell of a lot longer, this $hit is heavy lifting 😁

I quit coffee about 2 months ago to see what would happen. I was on one or two sugar free cappuccinos a day and have an expensive ( over $1k) consumer grade coffee machine at home. I didn’t drink instant or breaker ( gave up on the occasional iced coffee 5 years ago).

what happened.

- I lost 2kg. 
- I sleep better and dream more, although I currently wake up 5am and struggle to get back to sleep

- more even temperament but still a bit of a middle aged grumpy personality as the day wears on. Need to keep working on that.

- mornings I am annoyingly up.  I have become a morning person with max energy early in the am.  I literally bounce out of bed feeling refreshed most mornings. This is new post coffee.By 6pm In the evening I often just want to sleep. Going to bed at 12 was common, now i am happy to crash at 9.30.

i had a coffee as a treat a few weeks in and HATED how it made me feel.

My evil hot drink for winter is a sugar free hot cacao.  Like tea it is not caffeine free, but it’s miles away from coffee.  I make it using the coffee machine to produce the hot water and do the milk. It does not effect me like coffee.

Do I miss my coffee. YES.  Would I go back? No, hate the stuff.  It was not until I got off it that I saw how constantly edgy and unrested I felt.  Awful stuff in combination with my biology.

Just like hi-fi: whatever works for you and you have to try it for yourself.

On 25/04/2020 at 5:02 AM, Briz Vegas said:

I quit coffee about 2 months ago to see what would happen. I was on one or two sugar free cappuccinos a day and have an expensive ( over $1k) consumer grade coffee machine at home. I didn’t drink instant or breaker ( gave up on the occasional iced coffee 5 years ago).

what happened.

- I lost 2kg. 
- I sleep better and dream more, although I currently wake up 5am and struggle to get back to sleep

- more even temperament but still a bit of a middle aged grumpy personality as the day wears on. Need to keep working on that.

- mornings I am annoyingly up.  I have become a morning person with max energy early in the am.  I literally bounce out of bed feeling refreshed most mornings. This is new post coffee.By 6pm In the evening I often just want to sleep. Going to bed at 12 was common, now i am happy to crash at 9.30.

My evil hot drink for winter is a sugar free hot cacao.  Like tea it is not caffeine free, but it’s miles away from coffee.  I make it using the coffee machine to produce the hot water and do the milk. It does not effect me like coffee.

Do I miss my coffee. YES.  Would I go back? No, hate the stuff.  It was not until I got off it that I saw how constantly edgy and unrested I felt.  Awful stuff in combination with my biology.

How many coffees were you drinking /day before ?

On 25/04/2020 at 1:02 PM, Briz Vegas said:

what happened.

- I lost 2kg. 

Fantastic to hear that quitting coffee had such a positive effect for you @Briz Vegas.

Definitely no regrets here either.

Still off the coffee and feel the better for it.

Hi my name is Marc and I am a coffee addict.

I love my coffee and it's been a life long interest, hobby, and love of mine since as far back as I can remember. I grew up in Preston VIC and each morning would catch the tram to school from Plenty Road, right outside the Mocopan factory. The smell of freshly roasting coffee woulld fill my lungs each day and little did I know, it would be the start of an addiction that would actually cause me serious side effects some 25 years later.

As a prosumer, and working from home, my intake of delicious milky lattes has gradually increased as the drug addiction demands to be fed more and more. The morning starts with a stroll across the road to the cafe around 6am, then another back at home just under an hour later. Another with breakfast around 9AM, then probably another mid-morning.

By that point I am wired, ripping into my work and smashing through the days challenges and obstacles. I've probably banned 10 members for pressing the wrong button by this stage. By 2:30PM, I'm flat, lifeless, and the anxiety kicks in as my body is depleting its caffeine levels and commands to be fed once more. So by now, we're at four mug sized lattes. I finish work at around 5:30 and reward myself with a nice 'relaxing' coffee bringing the count to 5 so far. The evening challenges are next, dinner, kids, bathtimes, bedtimes, and by 7:30 with the kids in bed and some time to myself I sit down with yet another coffee. 

So the average and of course entirely justified daily coffee count is at 6, and that's assuming no visitors or clients drop in throughout the day which is a great excuse to sneak another unscheduled coffee in. As you can see, the addiction is real.

Let me turn back the clock 6 weeks or so. At no point prior did I realise this was excessive or that I was doing anything wrong. 

Anxiety that I had never suffered previously in my life until my bike accident just over a year ago (ongoing issues and nerve damage) started presenting for a few hours a day. This was around the time COVID-19 had surfaced, restrictions and lock downs were all over the news, and the "world was going to end" - I put it down to this and even nicknamed it 'coronanxiety'. Nightly heart palpitations, a new symptom, had settled in and after a few days I decided I was about to have a heart attack and booked in with my GP. Full bloods, holter monitor and general check up all done. But it was one simple question by the doc that changed everything for me ... "how many coffees a day do you drink?". I lied, because that's what addicts do ... "4 or 5", I responded as a light globe went off in my head. 

The bloods and everything came back as perfect, no cholesterol issues, no pre-diabetes, organ functions all ok - Doc says ease up on the coffee and go for a 30min walk each day. Ultimately I already knew what the problem was. 

From that day, I've restricted my coffee intake to 3 per day (two in the morning in quick succession still) and none later than 5PM. I drink a lot more tea now. The heart palpitations stopped within 24 hours. I sleep much better now. I'm generally calmer in the day but the test is when there is crisis, I think through it methodically rather than reacting instantly. The withdrawal headaches lasted about a week but have now settled. 

While I have had a love affair with coffee all of my adult life, I have seen the effects of over-consumption and for all the benefits of coffee - have too much and it quickly becomes a very negative and dangerous drug. My attitude towards coffee now is like all the good things in life - "in moderation". 

My plan now is to eventually have only a morning coffee and none after 10AM. I'd like to give it up altogether, but I've too much invested in my rig at home :) - spoken like a true addict.

I hope my story can help someone else realise they have a problem when they have not yet admitted it to themselves. 

Next ... the cigarettes .....

Interesting discussion (waiting for espresso machine to warm up).

I was never a fan of herbal tea, but I am a big fan of Tea Tonic GLEW.

https://teatonic.com.au/products/box-g-l-e-w-ginger-lemongrass-echinacea-white-tea-tea-unbleach?_pos=2&_sid=58373e315&_ss=r

I can drink this instead of another coffee.

45 minutes ago, Marc said:

My plan now is to eventually have only a morning coffee and none after 10AM. I'd like to give it up altogether, but I've too much invested in my rig at home :) - spoken like a true addict.

Swiss water decaf can be really excellent nowadays

15 minutes ago, Gee Emm said:

https://teatonic.com.au/products/box-g-l-e-w-ginger-lemongrass-echinacea-white-tea-tea-unbleach?_pos=2&_sid=58373e315&_ss=r

The Mr Happy Pants I remember never would have drunk herbal tea !!

😲

I used to head off fishing super early up in the Yarra ranges, and right around hitting the black spur driving home would get a blinding headache. 

After a few episodes,  realized the error of my ways and took a thermos of coffee- problem solved!

Nowadays have one instant with breakfast and two machine single shot with last at 5pm.

Drinking double that is a lot of caffeine,  especially if big double  shots @Marc .

Glad you're managing it at more reasonable levels!,😉

25 minutes ago, sakabatou said:

Agreed. Thanks for the reminder - off online shopping now :)

If you insist on drinking coffee (as I do) remember two things--

1. Caffeine is a drug—watch your doses.

2. Caffeine extracts slower than flavour and colour—drink ristrettos.

😄

4 hours ago, Gee Emm said:

my wife drinks some concoction... we call Horrible tea ... play on herbal tea :D 

ps folks i have stopped pretty much coffee at home of the instant variety..... also mostly weaned off proper coffee too... at home that is ... was just grabbing too many with 100% working from home now. switched to tea...

if out and about if see a cafe, i do still grab a coffee but its a real shame now machine at home isn't being used grrr !  

3 hours ago, betty boop said:

but its a real shame now machine at home isn't being used grrr !

That's my problem. I saved for a long time to get my dream Linea Mini and Mahlkonig grinder, I'm too invested to leave it there sitting idle, but also can't bear to part with it at the same time. Decaf ....   that's the answer!

Posted (edited)

Decaf and coffee abstinence is not the answer especially in these times.

Heathens the lot of you....You gonna turn or your gonna burn 🔥:devil:

Edited by Tubularbells

8 hours ago, sakabatou said:

Give this Mountain Water decaf a go, I find it to be closer to the original bean than the average Swiss Water decaf (I just haven't found a good Swiss Water).

https://ministrygrounds.com.au/product/mexican-mountain-water-rfa-organic-de-caf-roast/

47 minutes ago, Standards said:

Give this Mountain Water decaf a go, I find it to be closer to the original bean than the average Swiss Water decaf (I just haven't found a good Swiss Water).

https://ministrygrounds.com.au/product/mexican-mountain-water-rfa-organic-de-caf-roast/

Keen to try.

isn’t  “Mountain water” just a trademarked version of the same process done in Mexico?

50 minutes ago, sakabatou said:

Keen to try.

isn’t  “Mountain water” just a trademarked version of the same process done in Mexico?

That's the one, similar process to Swiss Water but not exactly the same.

Posted (edited)

I drink 3 coffees a day, am I an addict yet ? I drink some only during the week when I'm working.

Edited by mvqq

Decaf—

While I haven't tried it personally the Decaf-WOW from coffeesnobs.com.au (in Geelong) gets excellent reviews.

I buy my CoffeeSnobs' beans green and roast at home 'cause I like my fresh food fresh. Warning—note the current delivery times info on the website.

My wife got me off it about 3-4 years ago.....I had two weeks off work over Christmas and she threw out all of the coffee at home.....

.....I miss it terribly. The social impact too - its a nice thing to do, wander down to the cafe in the morning, say hello etc. The alternatives like chai don't cut it for me on a daily basis. 

I used to get sick many once every 12-18 months. Hasn't happened since getting off the coffee. Plus a bunch of other benefits....if I could wave a wand though, this'd be the first thing back in my life.

On 05/05/2020 at 7:53 AM, Marc said:

Hi my name is Marc and I am a coffee addict.

I love my coffee and it's been a life long interest, hobby, and love of mine since as far back as I can remember. I grew up in Preston VIC and each morning would catch the tram to school from Plenty Road, right outside the Mocopan factory. The smell of freshly roasting coffee woulld fill my lungs each day and little did I know, it would be the start of an addiction that would actually cause me serious side effects some 25 years later.

As a prosumer, and working from home, my intake of delicious milky lattes has gradually increased as the drug addiction demands to be fed more and more. The morning starts with a stroll across the road to the cafe around 6am, then another back at home just under an hour later. Another with breakfast around 9AM, then probably another mid-morning.

By that point I am wired, ripping into my work and smashing through the days challenges and obstacles. I've probably banned 10 members for pressing the wrong button by this stage. By 2:30PM, I'm flat, lifeless, and the anxiety kicks in as my body is depleting its caffeine levels and commands to be fed once more. So by now, we're at four mug sized lattes. I finish work at around 5:30 and reward myself with a nice 'relaxing' coffee bringing the count to 5 so far. The evening challenges are next, dinner, kids, bathtimes, bedtimes, and by 7:30 with the kids in bed and some time to myself I sit down with yet another coffee. 

So the average and of course entirely justified daily coffee count is at 6, and that's assuming no visitors or clients drop in throughout the day which is a great excuse to sneak another unscheduled coffee in. As you can see, the addiction is real.

Let me turn back the clock 6 weeks or so. At no point prior did I realise this was excessive or that I was doing anything wrong. 

Anxiety that I had never suffered previously in my life until my bike accident just over a year ago (ongoing issues and nerve damage) started presenting for a few hours a day. This was around the time COVID-19 had surfaced, restrictions and lock downs were all over the news, and the "world was going to end" - I put it down to this and even nicknamed it 'coronanxiety'. Nightly heart palpitations, a new symptom, had settled in and after a few days I decided I was about to have a heart attack and booked in with my GP. Full bloods, holter monitor and general check up all done. But it was one simple question by the doc that changed everything for me ... "how many coffees a day do you drink?". I lied, because that's what addicts do ... "4 or 5", I responded as a light globe went off in my head. 

The bloods and everything came back as perfect, no cholesterol issues, no pre-diabetes, organ functions all ok - Doc says ease up on the coffee and go for a 30min walk each day. Ultimately I already knew what the problem was. 

From that day, I've restricted my coffee intake to 3 per day (two in the morning in quick succession still) and none later than 5PM. I drink a lot more tea now. The heart palpitations stopped within 24 hours. I sleep much better now. I'm generally calmer in the day but the test is when there is crisis, I think through it methodically rather than reacting instantly. The withdrawal headaches lasted about a week but have now settled. 

While I have had a love affair with coffee all of my adult life, I have seen the effects of over-consumption and for all the benefits of coffee - have too much and it quickly becomes a very negative and dangerous drug. My attitude towards coffee now is like all the good things in life - "in moderation". 

I hope my story can help someone else realise they have a problem when they have not yet admitted it to themselves. 

Next ... the cigarettes .....

Prolix.

Marty I hope it's not catching this. Next time we meet at the show or dinner...keep your distance!

4pm=IPA o'clock, 6.30pm=wine+ dinner o'clock, bed time= when I'm sick of reading o'clock, breakfast is two home brewed cups of whatever the roaster from Margaret River has sent this month and a bowl of the Handbrake's muesli which also doubles up as pot hole filler if the council runs out of gravel. Rest of the day is spent thinking about 4pm o'clock.

It's worked for years this routine.

Health wise? Pfft. Just walked 15 k's up hill and down dale on Sat night to win a bet, not bad for a senior*

*Did it in crocs while wearing socks...yes...I'm actually ashamed about that part but not the 40 yr old loser who said he'd give me a head start but ended up ringing a cab. We're not in the city here, like this is in the boonies on quiet and quite dark country lanes(farmers and their damned cranky dogs).

I claim fresh brewed coffee as the reason I'll walk most people into the ground and at a fair click too.😜