Sign in to follow this  
Martykt

Quitting Coffee.... please don't hurt me...

Confession time.... must be brave.... 😬

Okay so just before Christmas I made the controversial decision and gave up drinking coffee..... :ohmy: 

That's right no more of that delicious caffeiney goodness !!! :ban:

So how did it go ??

The first attempt I made failed miserably.... after the second day I got a massive migraine complete with throwing up and couldn't get a fix of caffeine fast enough.... 

The next attempt I had a week off so was a bit smarter and for the first two nights I kept halving my coffee intake to ween myself off of it first.

This went well and while I did get some dull headaches through the week they were manageable.

So how do I feel ??

Great !! :D 

Overall I feel more even and more alert through the night and my sleeping pattern seems more stable.

The other benefit was quite a pleasant surprise though hard to assign the cause as I replaced coffee with Ginger Tea and may even just be a plain coincidence however after quitting Coffee my psoriasis is now greatly diminished.

So has anyone else quit coffee or thinking about quitting ?

If so what was your experience? 

wow commiserations :D 

d@mn shame... but ginger tea is a good alternative ... something I quite like at times... tend to chuck in some cinnamon, cardamon clove for good measure ... yes chai !  can be quite soothing...

5 minutes ago, betty boop said:

wow commiserations :D 

d@mn shame... but ginger tea is a good alternative ... something I quite like at times... tend to chuck in some cinnamon, cardamon clove for good measure ... yes chai !  can be quite soothing...

Proper chai can be quite nice, never been too sure about the stuff you buy from the supermarket though.

I have to try and find a really good ginger tea.

So far I've just been going with the Twinings Ginger Lemon which is not too bad.

Ultimately I'd like to grind fresh ginger root but unfortunately it's not overly practical when travelling for work.

14 minutes ago, Martykt said:

Proper chai can be quite nice, never been too sure about the stuff you buy from the supermarket though.

I have to try and find a really good ginger tea.

So far I've just been going with the Twinings Ginger Lemon which is not too bad.

Ultimately I'd like to grind fresh ginger root but unfortunately it's not overly practical when travelling for work.

oh its make your own here. indian style ... none of this tea bag business ! just boil some milk in black tea leaves, with the ginger and spices of choice. no need to grind the ginger just chop some bits can even be the skins and it works fine. but no ... wouldn't work for traveling unless you took a thermos along of pre brewed :D I usually sweeten a tad with either jagery or honey... but its only a rarity ... not had often enough :)

Wow Marty,

i take my hat of to ya!

My son doesnt have coffe either, none, zero and his sleep pattern has improved.  My daughter has just given up

So that  leaves me!  

I tried once and due to the nature of my job, sometimes 600-700km a day can really stress you out trying to stay alert driving.   I was coming back from Aubury and I was finding myself dosing off,  saw a Big Mac sign and was about to pull up there for a caffeine fix, but somehow the heavy down pour woke me up!    

I only have one in the morning and make strict rules to never have more than one,  I know someone that has a bout 10 a day and you and see how hypo and agro he gets, he doesn’t sleep,either that worsten his behaviour!

Green tea with ginger is a nice substitute...love it to bits...

Thanks @Addicted to music.

I was also just having one cup of coffee per day though it was extremely stupidly strong.

It's surprising how even that can effect you.

I'm happy I did it, it was definitely worth the effort.

Green tea with ginger sounds delicious, can you buy it or do you have to make it up yourself?

I’m an addict, not sure I could do it. If I haven’t had coffee by about 2pm I get a splitting headache.
I was unfortunate enough to get knocked off my bike about 18months ago, ended up in hospital. I’d done some night work and woken late in the day, jumped on the bike but hadn’t had a coffee yet. Anyway, got knocked off, taken to emergency, sat around for hours before being admitted overnight for a morning surgery. Obviously nil by mouth. Once out of surgery and awake again I was on a morphine pump. The morphine didn’t even touch the caffeine headache. It wasn’t until a mate turned up with a flat white that it went away.

9 minutes ago, captain.j said:

I’m an addict, not sure I could do it. If I haven’t had coffee by about 2pm I get a splitting headache.
I was unfortunate enough to get knocked off my bike about 18months ago, ended up in hospital. I’d done some night work and woken late in the day, jumped on the bike but hadn’t had a coffee yet. Anyway, got knocked off, taken to emergency, sat around for hours before being admitted overnight for a morning surgery. Obviously nil by mouth. Once out of surgery and awake again I was on a morphine pump. The morphine didn’t even touch the caffeine headache. It wasn’t until a mate turned up with a flat white that it went away.

It's actually kind of shocking just how addictive something is to give that level of withdrawal that is so ingrained and normalised in our culture. 

I hope you had a full recovery from the bike accident.

Good on ya', Marty :thumb:

Inspiring.

I need to do the same with my Ice Break addiction, and know those hell headaches too well having done so before.... but went back to it.

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-vic-metro-hoppers-crossing/product/dilmah-infusions-rooibos-tea-gngr-pepprmnt

you can get all sorts of tea.   Go down the tea isle and even T2 has a selection,  but way over priced.

also stay away from energy drinks like Red Bull, those drinks should be banned!

6 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Good on ya', Marty :thumb:

Inspiring.

I need to do the same with my Ice Break addiction, and know those hell headaches too well having done so before.... but went back to it.

Thanks @Muon N'.

The migraine from the first attempt was the worst... no fun at all...

I learnt from giving up smoking years ago is that you definitely have to consider yourself an addict for life.

It's so easy to fall back into an addiction and then you're back having to quit all over again.

Just now, Martykt said:

Thanks @Muon N'.

The migraine from the first attempt was the worst... no fun at all...

I learnt from giving up smoking years ago is that you definitely have to consider yourself an addict for life.

It's so easy to fall back into an addiction and then you're back having to quit all over again.

Bit of experience in this area having had spent a decade when younger in rehab's and doing several years in 12 step programs.

So I agree :)

Annoys me that I am not applying what I know to this and the cigs, have been bouncing back and forth with both. Might start again on Monday, and if I can avoid stressful situations I will make it. See there I left a loophole, giving myself an out with stress :lol: :emot-bang:

Anyway, this is about you! SO again, congrats on making this positive move :party:thumb:

7 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Bit of experience in this area having had spent a decade when younger in rehab's and doing several years in 12 step programs.

So I agree :)

Annoys me that I am not applying what I know to this and the cigs, have been bouncing back and forth with both. Might start again on Monday, and if I can avoid stressful situations I will make it. See there I left a loophole, giving myself an out with stress :lol: :emot-bang:

Anyway, this is about you! SO again, congrats on making this positive move :party:thumb:

Not just about me, if this thread can inspire someone to make a positive change in their life or share their story I'm all for it.

Stress is just in the mind and can be controlled if you choose.

The mind is an extremely powerful thing if you choose to use it !! :thumb:

With smoking you have to make the decision to no longer have cigarettes in your life and truly want to quit.

If you don't you'll just find excuses and find yourself back smoking again.

I wish you luck with the battle with the ciggies. :)

This is an interesting discussion called the Craving Brain, some interesting aspects neuroscience has found.

Peppermint tea is the bomb IMO.

I've never liked coffee but my pepsi max addiction was full on and it contains more caffeine than most coffee (not all, but most).  It was nothing for me to drink 2L a day, sometimes three.  I was drinking like that for years but about a month ago I obviously went too far and the dreaded caffeine headache showed up and would not leave.  Paracetamol did nothing, aspro was useless as well, ibuprofen did something but nowhere near enough.  This lasted for about 5 days before slowly lessening for another 3 or so.  

So now I have a single glass in the afternoon and make do with cheapo (supposedly caffeine free, although I have my doubts so I make it up at one third strength just to be sure) make-it-yourself soda stream cola before and after.  It truly tastes like third rate cola, but I drink it anyway because it can't give me a headache.

I now sleep much better, and have at least 30% more energy than before too, although I do get a bit scatter brained around lunchtime now.  Not sure what that's about.