CJH

Moon 330A and the first 5 watts of Class A

Just found this now 

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2019/03/exclusive-interview-with-nelson-pass.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

The first watt is the most important watt?

I think the saying was “Who wants an amplifier that is good at 1000 watts if it sounds like crap at 1 watt?”

I believe that one of the important characteristics of a good sounding amplifier is that the distortion decreases with decreasing output, that is to say monotonic.  This is also a characteristic of Class A amplifiers.

Also, people don't usually realize how little power they are often listening to.  I keep an oscilloscope handy on my system, and I have fun showing people how loud things can be at 1 watt.  I don't usually need high power for good sound.

Is the Class A the Holy Grail?

Good Sound is the Holy Grail.  Class A makes it easier to achieve.

What about AB Class?

Not as easy for good sound, but practical.

7 minutes ago, CJH said:

have an interest in the Moon 330A amp and am exploring what the first 5 watts of class A would mean to me in my setup. Would I be in class A amplification for my listening or would I bump over into class A/B?

It does not matter.

The only thing that does matter is how pleasing the amplifier( whatever topography it may be ) works in your system, in your room and with your music. It is very easy to get caught up in technology and topography bu these things do not and cannot, guarantee any particular result. As an analogy, a 1.6 litre turbo engine in a car may be as fast as a 5 litre engine in another car but the important thing is how you feel about the whole package .

The fact that Moon sees fit to mention that their amplifier operates in Class A mode up to 5 watts is a marketing device,  designed to attract a particular buyer, but in reality it is meaningless. The Moon amplifiers may well be ( and often are ) highly regarded but, this has everything to do with the overall performance of the amplifier and very little to do with how much it is biased in to Class A.

3 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

Also, people don't usually realize how little power they are often listening to.  I keep an oscilloscope handy on my system, and I have fun showing people how loud things can be at 1 watt.  I don't usually need high power for good sound.

I used to have an oscilloscope (It got ruined during a house renovation :( ).

What it showed me was how easily many amps will clip into even quite an easy speaker load

Class A is to bias the output stages so they turn on to eliminate around the 1.4Vp-p of non linear region around the zero volt mark.  Nearly all class B that I have encountered, pthe designers would have bias that so the output devices are on to eliminate this non linear region to reduce distortion.   Any more than this makes the designed inefficient.