CJH

Moon 330A and the first 5 watts of Class A

11 hours ago, andyr said:

Noooo, sb - only 0.3% (your number!) believe that it's important for an amp to operate in Class A mode only:lol:

No.

The percentage of people who understand the issue fully, understand that "operating in class-A" tells us nothing reliable about the performance and it isn't a sufficient condition for high performance.

10 hours ago, scumbag said:

pointless argument

Who started that ?!  ;) 

The OP doesn't need to worry about class-A operation.   Thinking about it in the way he is, is totally unhelpful to him.

Posted (edited)

I think it's more important to the OP to know that from my experience, I've never heard a bad Moon integrated or pre/power combo. They sound great at low volume and punch well above what the specs may be comparable too.

1 of the first things I learnt in HiFi was to trust my ears and to not trust a spec sheet! Around 18 months ago I demo'ed 9 integrated amps in my home ranging in price from $3k to $7k. Yes my speakers are relatively efficient but guess what, I bought the 1 with the second lowest power rating as I thought it sounded best. The fact it was 1 of the cheaper options was not a purchasing factor, but a nice bonus, as I was prepared to spend up to a max of$6k for the sound I wanted.

I also demo'ed a Luxman class A integrated in store, and although it sounded lovely, I found I was missing out on the top end sparkle, so didn't bother taking home for further consideration. The moral is that everybody's taste is different, there is no right or wrong answer, just what you prefer.

Edited by blybo

Posted (edited)
On 15/03/2019 at 9:25 AM, davewantsmoore said:

No.

The percentage of people who understand the issue fully, understand that "operating in class-A" tells us nothing reliable about the performance and it isn't a sufficient condition for high performance.

I think we're talking about different things, Dave.  I'm thinking about how the amp sounds in Class A and how it sounds when it's beyond Class A (into Class B).

You talk about amp performance!  To me, this is an entirely different matter - there are amps which perform well (ie. they can handle difficult spkr loads) … but they sound pretty dire.  Then there are amps like, say, Pass … which handle difficult spkr loads and sound wonderful.

Andy

Edited by andyr

6 hours ago, blybo said:

I think it's more important to the OP to know that from my experience, I've never heard a bad Moon integrated or pre/power combo. They sound great at low volume and punch well above what the specs may be comparable too.

1 of the first things I learnt in HiFi was to trust my ears and to not trust a spec sheet!

Kinda depends how much detail is in the spec sheet  :) 

If it just says "class A", then that doesn't tell you anything reliable about the performance....  so I think the interesting nuance here isn't that spec sheets can't tell important information .... but that it IS very very easy to read to much into what is on a spec sheet, and make assumptions about the performance based on what you read.

6 hours ago, blybo said:

I also demo'ed a Luxman class A integrated in store, and although it sounded lovely, I found I was missing out on the top end sparkle, so didn't bother taking home for further consideration. The moral is that ....

Class A, isn't a sufficient condition for high performance.   The OP should stop worrying about it completely.   :)

80db is pretty loud for most listening. My Mc for most normal listening runs between 0.075 and 0.75 watts, it's amazing how much it does in that range. 

Moon make great gear and I am sure it will sound brilliant. 

Always best to demo if you can.

7 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

80db is pretty loud for most listening

Yeah I'm usually around 55-60db, and then the wife turns it down...🙄

2 minutes ago, blybo said:

Yeah I'm usually around 55-60db, and then the wife turns it down...🙄

That's a bit cruel. I am hovering around 80db right now listening to the new Nils Frahm album :)

1 hour ago, Bunno77 said:

80db is pretty loud for most listening. My Mc for most normal listening runs between 0.075 and 0.75 watts, it's amazing how much it does in that range. 

I am getting my hands on a dB meter this weekend from a friend. I am curious to see how many dB I listen at.

I would be surprised if it was over 80dB, but I may be completely wrong on that.

There are smart phone apps that aren't completely accurate but close enough for a simple dB reading. They're free, quick and easy