Sign in to follow this  
Dave5

Online Movie Rental in full HD and Surround Sound

Hi All,

I've recently ditched Foxtel and started to stream TV and Movies instead. I have a dedicated theatre room and would like to know if there is a way to rent new movies in HD and surround sound, ideally using Chromecast. I thought this would be fairly simple. I've got Netflix which works perfectly and streams in 1080p and 5.1 surround. However, I can't find a way to rent a new movies online that can be played on the home theatre system in surround sound. I'd prefer not to spend more cash on a subscription. I'd just like to rent occasionally.

I've got a TelstraTV2 box but Telstra Box Office movies only play Stereo audio

I've tried Google play, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Microsoft Movies but all only play stereo.

I've also tried Apple Store movies but Airplay doesn't support video on my receiver. I'm aware I could buy an Apple TV box but I'm trying to avoid spending more cash.

Is there a service for online movie rental that I've missed, or is the best option renting blu-rays?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi,

most movies have surround sound. Connect whatever to AVR by HDMI or optical and select on AVR straight or surround. 

Thanks for the response.

I can get suround working from blu ray and netflix via chromecast. However, through hdmi or chromecast, google play movies won't play in 5.1 even if the movie is shown to be capable of 5.1.

Has anyone else had this issue or can anyone get 5.1 from google play movies? I'm trying to figure out where the problem is i.e. google play, my receiver, me?

I think you have to manually switch AVR to surround every time you watch movie except when the movie is from bluray player.