High end bookshelf around $2K - $4K

Hi All,

I'm fairly new around here - see my original thread which details my existing 2-channel system(s) here for contect / if interested.

So in summary I'm looking for bookshelf speakers that will at least be the match of my Aurum Cantus Harmony 3.5 way floor-standers for sound quality, aside from the extended bass which is naturally a compromise of downsizing to bookshelves. They'll go in a 5 x 3.5m room, possibly on an actual bookshelf (yes I know - not ideal, but it will be temporary until I have a room that can fit them on stands etc.)

I am looking for suggestions on speakers in the $2K - $4K range (ish) - final budget dependent on what else I sell and how much I get. Happy to get 2nd hand or new, but I would prefer to audition them first regardless. Part of the challenge is that a lot of brands are now direct sales which means no retailers, but often great value, so if anyone has (or knows people) in Melbourne where I can listen to any of these it would be great. 

Here's a list of current consideration from what I've heard, read of, or been suggested by other SNA members so far:

• Osborn Eos Reference (or Reference Elite): I have heard the standard Eos (non Reference) and also Osborn's bigger Reference speakers, so I have an idea of what to expect from the Eos Reference; in summary quite stunning, and definitely will take some beating. Eos Reference are $2.9K; Eos Reference Elite are $3.7K. [Note: I don't need suggestions on where to listen to these as I can / have gone directly to Osborn who's local to Melbourne]
  • Lenehan ML1: The base version pricing is around $4K. Does anyone have any of these in Melbourne I can listen to?
  • Aurum Cantus V30M: Around $3K. I'm trying to find out if/where I can listen to a demo paid. Suspect they'll have similar sonic signature to my AC Harmony's, if not quite at the same standard. I also heard there's a new bookshelf being developed in the same 'Supreme' range as the Harmony floorstanders that I have, so will be keen to see these as they'll probably match or exceed my Harmony's in all areas except bass extension; these are expected around mid-2019 or so.
  • Hulgich Serenades: saw these on another SNA post about bookshelves - around $4K depending on finish. I've asked the manufacturer for suggestions on how to demo in Melbourne, waiting to hear back.
  • VAF 91: I see the VAF are quite a popular Australian brand and it seems the i91 Mk2 may be worth a look - $2.9K. (I see there's a Mk 3 but probably out of my range at $5.5K)
  • Divini Audio Classical 3: Bit of an odd-ball at a bit over $1K but suggested by AudioSalon from whom I've demo'd the Lampizator DAC, and they suggested that these are exceptional bookshelves. I'm finding out if they've got a demo pair. 

I have a pair of Consonance Cyber 845 monoblocks (S/E valve amps, 28 W/channel class A), and matching R50 valve pre-amp. I'd prefer to keep these and get speakers to suit, but would consider changing if there's a compelling bookshelf/amp combo that's going to work very well together.

That's a start - happy to take suggestions on other speaker models to consider, and any classifieds that might be of interest. And of course suggestions on where I can listen to the direct-sales models (not incl Osborn) such as Leneham, VAF, Hulgich - if anyone is in Melbourne and happy to provide a demo?

Thanks!

There is so much goodness to be had in that price range for bookshelf speakers it is amazing and confusing. 

But you already have a sound template in mind so it should be relatively easy to approximate or match the Cantus sound, so it sounds more like legwork than anything else.

Used Sonus Faber Electra Amator with Dynaudio Esotar tweeter and modified resin coated Scanspeak 18w/8545 7 inch woofer beats all so far mentioned, tremendous tweeter detail, big deep bass and great mids and very musical. No need for subwoofer and competes with many medium size floorstanders for bass.

962FC4A0-4BA2-4012-A766-A72406727A3C.jpeg

• Like 1

Beyond the $2000 mark for a standmount speaker I'd look for a low-distortion design with a balanced frequency response, as opposed to a floorstander wannabe or detail/clarity maniac. The first suggestion of the ATC models is a fine choice. And for less money the latest Legend Kurre is a must audition.

• Like 1

I dont have a definive answer, just some recommendations:

• I have Osborn speakers, but have never heard the Eos. Any of his speakers will do well with your amps.His speakers are great value for money.
  • I love Lenehen loudspeakers. No offence to Greg, but Mike is is a master at his craft. See if you can pick up a set of ML2's (rather than 1's IMO).

Whatever you do, please do auditions, take your time and buy what you like :).

• Like 1

Guest deanB

Hi, you mentioned you might be prepared to change amps.

Have you thought about swapping to the Consonance Cyber 800 mk2 monos? It would open up your speaker options to include just about anything on the market, including the aforementioned ATC. These speakers have valve friendly impedance characteristics and just need the level of power the Cybers provide (rated at 100w, conservative in my opinion) to play at higher spl.

I used an 80w valve amp with Atc 19's and easily drove them to a clean 100db spl in a slightly bigger room than yours.

Guest Muon N'

Lenehan speakers also have a pretty easy load as far as impedance is concerned, this is why I have gotten away for years driving ML-1's with a 20 odd watt PP/AB triode strapped EL34 amp.

Guest Muon N'

If they are going to spend a long time actually in a bookshelf, likely best with something front ported.

Edit: if, ultimately the performance on stands will be the main consideration, then the above in my post is moot... I guess.

Edited by Muon N'

Speak to Mike Lenehan [ Lenehan Audio] about his ML1s/Ml2s. He sometimes has people trading up to his awesome Ml5 floorstanders. You might be able to grab a pair of his unbelievable bookshelf speakers at a fantastic price. That's how I got my Ml2 refs. Good luck and enjoy your HiFi journey. Cheers Warwick.

• Like 1

some great suggestions already. I love my focal 1007be's in my bedroom setup.

if can do check out , come up rarely but are a lovely speaker in the the 2-4k range second hand ... if can find one :) 

Wow, thank you all for the suggestions - this is all really helpful and most appreciated :)

I'll respond individually to your posts with follow up questions over the next few days. 

In the meantime, I have seen Lenehan come up a few times as suggestions - so does anyone in Melbourne have a pair of ML1 / ML2 that they're happy for me to listen to? I understand it won't be representative of my listening environment, equipment etc, but should give me an idea if I like the sound. I might post in the Lenehan sub-section as well...

Thanks all

5 hours ago, betty boop said:

I love my focal 1007be's in my bedroom setup.

Have you compared to the utopia 2-way bookshelves and/or Osborn bookshelves (E.g. Eos, or previous model called Titan?)

12 hours ago, Jventer said:

I dont have a definive answer, just some recommendations:

• I have Osborn speakers, but have never heard the Eos. Any of his speakers will do well with your amps.His speakers are great value for money.
  • I love Lenehen loudspeakers. No offence to Greg, but Mike is is a master at his craft. See if you can pick up a set of ML2's (rather than 1's IMO).

Whatever you do, please do auditions, take your time and buy what you like :).

Since you've heard both Osborn and lenehan I'm really interested in your opinion.

- Firstly which Osborn model do you own?

- how would you compare the sound signature between the two brands

- when you say "Mike is a master of his craft" in comparison to Greg do you mean the aesthetic craft only, or also the sound quality? Both are relevant but It's an important distinction I feel.