Cabinet for components/TV

Hi All. 

My entertainment unit has fallen to bits. Cheap MDF rubbish - door hinges and shelf screws have just pulled out of the MDF (*)(*&*&

Anyway, been on a search for a cabinet - entertainment unit - TV cabinet for a while. Looking for something in timber. The main thing I am finding is that almost all that I have been able to find do not allow enough height in the component shelves for a typical AV amp.

My AV amp is ~ 180mm high and everything out there that I can find is way less than that. Not to mention that I'd like to have some room above for ventilation. 

Why is this trend? Am I weird having an AV amp or something? 

I'll probably build - or get built - something to suit. Just really surprised that the typical "Lowline" entertainment unit only has space for small components. I guess the average punter has audio out of an AV BluRay player or something???

Suggestions?

Cheers.

• Like 1

I found the same thing when i was looking. This was particularly evident at the big chain stores. There was very little you could do to change the design.

In the end i went to a smaller retailer and was able to design a unit to my exact specifications. Yes it cost more but i got what i wanted.

I’m making my own out of recycled Messmate.  Have a look at these guys for ideas....

May be work getting one made?  Not cheap, but you can make sure sizing will allow for any future component changes.  I’m also isolating shelving from the outset as part of my design.

https://www.bomboracustomfurniture.com.au/tv-cabinets

In terms of the annoying designs you refer to, I suspect the mass market don’t use much componentry.  Most punters would put an enormous TV on top, a sound bar in front, and that’s about it!  They may use some sort of surround setup (wifi) or a DVD player.  These cabinets are not built with hifi or big surround amps in mind.

I am on the way to making one that’s 2400 wide, 600 tall, and with just shallow drawers along the bottom, leaving lots of space for amps and so on on the shelf.  A TV won’t take up much of the top, so a turntable and other stuff can go on top too.  I am thinking of sitting shelving on recessed sqush balls or similar to isolate from the rest of the unit.

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

have a look RVM's website - https://rvm.com.au/

I use the Platinum 1800 black - it has loads of room for amps and all the other usual stuff!

Edit - sorry i note you are after timber..  but i ended up going for the above in the end as it did everything i wanted, at a reasonable price.

Edited by ScottR

17 hours ago, Bervy said:

Hi Wozza. I’m in Victoria on the NSW/Vic border. 

I reckon do some googling for furniture makers in your area.  Measure your space, think of your needs, and then draw it up with clear measurements.  Think of the style you like too.....

Then look at timbers you like (I have a thing for highly featured recycled Messmate).  Once you’ve found timber type, Google about for a supply.  Conversely, just get the maker to source material.  Money can be saved by using choice stuff in visible areas (top, drawer fronts) and cheap stuff elsewhere if need be.

just note that many timber workers may not touch recycled timber. It’s commonly full of nails and crap, and if a big sander hits a nail there goes a $200 blade.  The timber I use was saved from a demolition, denailed by myself, milled locally after metal-detecting.....a load of work!

Maybe look for some vintage /antique furniture which you can repurpose. Its so cheap these days the wood and craftsmanship alone  makes it worthwhile. Thats if your handy with tools or know someone.

• 4 weeks later...

Self designed cabinet might be an option - we designed this one for our room (based on my wife’s attraction to the design of the Peactree Integrated Amp) and had it built to order in Darwin by a cabinet maker.  Heavy duty to deal with weight, sized for audio equipment, centre speaker and record storage,  glass shelving for space with strength, ventilation at back and material at front for remote pass through. Works really well for us. Cheers

7C582AF8-AC12-4754-92C6-22E7B503D075.jpeg

A3C549A2-81C5-4032-A897-9C000273FCDF.jpeg

15163135-61BB-4764-97AE-11CDD40B019D.jpeg

• Like 5

This is what me and my fiance built its in 3 sections plenty of room even for records my fiance got plenty middle section where the centre speakre is attached with magnets and the screen is from a brand new security door sides have got wheels so can be moved easily and they are the same height as the legs in the middle cost was around $1800 but we went to a cabinet maker to get an idea what it would cost and he said around 7 grand at least due to its size..

Regards Lino..

IMG_0196.JPG

Edited by Turbo68
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, KRSDarwin said:

Self designed cabinet might be an option - we designed this one for our room (based on my wife’s attraction to the design of the Peactree Integrated Amp) and had it built to order in Darwin by a cabinet maker.  Heavy duty to deal with weight, sized for audio equipment, centre speaker and record storage,  glass shelving for space with strength, ventilation at back and material at front for remote pass through. Works really well for us. Cheers

look a bit like mine :)

IMG_20180210_143914.jpg

Edited by Mr_Gadget
  • Like 1

Some impressive cabinets there guys well done. 

KRSDarwin, what was the ballpark cost to have that built? Probably way more intricate than anything I’d need with all those drawers etc. just interested. 

I had a similar problem.

Check out Harvey Norman - not the best there is, but there are options. I bought one of their units my wife liked and then modified it. 

The unit I bought had adjustable shelves.

My mods include:

• drilling more holes to be able to adjust the shelves even more - e.g. making space for the AVR
  • using a hole saw drilling large holes in the backto allow for cables and airflow
  • using a jigsaw removing parts of the back panel so as to reach the back of the AVR and cd player
  • running a usb powered fan for airflow.
  • I guess what I am trying tosay it that yiumay get awaywith a "standard" unit if yiucan make certain adjustments yourself.

• Like 1

I bought this in black

works a treat.

small extra drill holes I made to adjust shelving for avr and vcr on one side with ample breathing space

on the other side did the same to hold integrated amp and oppo.

At the back I cut a large square out of the backing board and just taped down some black mesh to shade it all.

doors are glass so when I play a movie or am using the integrated amp I simply leave the door open about 6/7cm and there is sufficient air flow 

i also didnt use the centre shelf and put the centre speaker in there..

also when assembling I grabbed some removable hinges for when I move stuff around or interchange components...

https://clefhifi.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=3234&osCsid=6pl77qpqbfvh0e0saik1ul16g0

Edited by 08Boss302
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry haven't got back to this thread in a while. I'm on the Mornington peninsula south Vic. Can make something if you have ideas and dimensions.

You would have to pick up though. But of a treck.

Pm me if interested

Also some nice cabinets there guys!

• 3 weeks later...